Nicky D's Sketchworld
Work from the past week

More iterations

Great design work DQ! In the last post, I like the weapon on the left and the boots on the right. Looking forward to more!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(09-13-2016, 04:28 PM)Artloader Wrote: Great design work DQ! In the last post, I like the weapon on the left and the boots on the right. Looking forward to more!

I prefer that weapon too dude. I'm trying to be more creative with my shape language and overall design sense but it's really f***ing hard. On one end of the scale you have the familiar and generic, on the other end you can end up with something too alien and weird. Gotta aim for that juicy middle ground.

These designs are so good! And yep, I like the weapon on the left too. The way it flows really makes the eye follow down and through taking in the whole character, rather than shoot off like on the right. Can't wait to see more :)

Everything from the past couple of weeks! Process sketches from a new character design (cyborg hunter), and some studies to improve at values. Awfully derivative of the Halo/Destiny look but I have to start somewhere.

(09-21-2016, 09:19 AM)bmswift Wrote: These designs are so good! And yep, I like the weapon on the left too. The way it flows really makes the eye follow down and through taking in the whole character, rather than shoot off like on the right. Can't wait to see more :)

I appreciate the input my friend. I'm glad you picked up on the movement in the design, that's what I was aiming for!

Hey those values studies are awesome dude and I'm digging the energy trails coming from the eyes on that character!

Keep up the good work DQ!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Thanks for checking in Artloader.

Messin' around with knights.

Stuff from the past 2 weeks

lovely!! you'r doing so great!! :>
Wink 
(10-11-2016, 06:18 PM)nymph0 Wrote: lovely!! you'r doing so great!! :>

Thanks nymph0  Wink

These are a bunch of studies and sketches I did in pencil to build on my figure drawing ability and visual library. Roughly a third of all this is from memory, mixed in at odd points.
The references used were Loomis' Figure Drawing for All Its Worth, Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, and various artist works and photos from the web.

I really need to get a proper scanner. 

Love your sketchbook ! so much hard work, it's very inspiring.
The knights are my favorite, they have very nice shapes, and silhouette
Wow man!
A lot of good stuff here, your sketchbook is very inspiring, made me want to practice.

@Mathias86 and VoodooMama

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook guys, and I'm glad I could inspire you two to work hard! 

Glad you like the knights VoodooMama. I'm working to find more originality in my designs, maybe by combining different cultures together or pushing the shapes more, but hey I have to start somewhere.

A little something I'm working on for a CubeBrush challenge

"Growing up an orphan on the streets of the tiny trading station Oasis 7, Ash had to learn how to hustle from a young age. Making a living first as a petty pickpocket, then as an enforcer for a ruthless local gang, he eventually got sick of working for his scumbag bosses and decided to strike out on his own. Now a proud lone wolf in the smuggling business, his favorite clients are those with the largest checkbooks and least common sense.

Assisted by his only two friends, Steve and Stella (a stolen laser rifle and starship) he lives for the danger and  adrenaline rush of putting his life on the line for cash."

Dude! You certainly know how to use a sketchbook, inspirational stuff!

Good luck with your CubeBrush challenge too.

CD Sketchbook

(12-31-2016, 07:55 AM)Artloader Wrote: Dude! You certainly know how to use a sketchbook, inspirational stuff!

Good luck with your CubeBrush challenge too.

Thanks for stopping by buddy, I'm sure you're kicking ass on your end.

Indeed, I want to embrace doing these online challenges more in 2017, just for the sake of community. The endless Loomis drawings in pencil were definitely helpful but I felt like I was starting to lose my mind there.