John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.)
Good work John!I like this 2nd version of the cover much more.
I can see a pack of paper in that pocket, have you finished the comic already? How soon is the con?
Would love to see a teaser as well :)

Amit Dutta - No!
neopatogen - The con is done. I peddled tons more of the old stuff I made with a team than the new one I made myself. I sold 3 of the books. 

I just remembered: Technically sold two. And traded one.. and boy did I disappoint that person.. It was rough! But a good learning experience no doubt. One of those things where it's not fun having that memory still fresh and lingering. But given a significant amount of time and distance from that moment, I think I can look at it fondly and laugh about it in the future!

----
Portrait study:

It's debatable whether or not what you're trying to achieve is indeed impossible. One thing's for sure: it's impossible to defeat a person who doesn't know how to quit.
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
The rendering of the blouse is really amazing! It has slightly more contrast which makes it look a bit shinier but also more interesting! Do you start with big shapes and divide it into smaller when starting such a copy or do you have any other approach?

gregorkari - Hey.

Yes, I do start with big shapes. During the line art stage, I usually separate those shapes when there's a distinction between light and shadow. When the value/color change is subtle, I group them together. Sometimes I lump them together and deal with the color/value later in the next stage. Which is...

The coloring stage! Here, I squint to help me pick off the general shapes to subdivide them from the line art further. If I'm having a hard time choosing a color/value for that big shape, I try to match the color I see when I squint. Squinting basically averages the colors in that area. I fill all those big shapes first then tackle them later on individually.

I don't squint at the reference when I'm doing the details!

This is the step by step:

This is the final:

I think it's a good observation exercise. And a good chance to problem solve how to lay down brush strokes. I start off with hard edges then gradually blend them together with a softer brush if I need that smooth gradient.

Hope that answers your question!

It's debatable whether or not what you're trying to achieve is indeed impossible. One thing's for sure: it's impossible to defeat a person who doesn't know how to quit.
----
Study. Without much color checking on the reference:

Some work in progress stuff:

----
Study

- Took more time shaping the shadow side than the light side. Not a good idea moving forward.
- I'm moving more and more away from doing an exact copy to, I'm not sure where to go yet. Probably need look at more oil paintings.

----
I really like your new motto :) I mean signature.
I would probably pick this for myself: “Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!”

Nice WIP, I wonder why whe's got her sword stuck in some kind of... metal support structure?
Also you became quite good at portrait copying, do you still do it just for fun? :)

neopatogen - Your motto sounds, to be frank, tiring! I'm physically bent out of shape to appreciate that! But sure, a lot of artists I look up to have that boundless amount of drive that I can only hope for myself. It's one of the qualities I admire for sure. I do remember Atey (or was it John Silva?) commending you for the ungodly amount of work you did for the Crucible challenges..

I'm fairly okay with portrait copying. They're absolutely fun. I think it's enjoyable mainly because doing it is comfortable, which is terrible. There are few things I do during those exercises to convince myself that I'm learning something (testing new brushes, making good judgments on colors, stroke economy, etc...). If I have to be honest, I think there's a little bit of guilt involved because I am not progressing with any of my personal pieces when I do portrait copies. 

Have you experienced something so good that in the back of your head you're wondering what the catch is, but in the end you go through it anyway? That's the same feeling I get.

And the sword isn't stuck on the beam! I hope I conveyed that well in the latest version!

---

Calling this done for now:

I haven't done slider adjustments on it. And there are elements I want to put. But I'm sick of looking at it to even push through. I'll probably shelf this til next year!

----
Really love the lady with the samurai sword! The colors are really serene. I know it's done, but I'd love to see a bit of shine on the blade edge.

Also, thanks for the recommendation to try Lazy Nezumi ages ago. I finally installed the thing, and it's awesome! The perspective ruler is life changing! It will save hours of pointless effort and wrist pain!

Sketchbook

Tygerson - Awesome to hear about the wrist! And thanks for the tip. Which reminds me I have to go through that piece again before March.

----

A not so progressive 2 months! I did manage to stretch out the time for a certain piece. I redid it thrice since I can't seem to not make it to look like John Cena on the first two tries!

But I have the final version, just in time for the convention happening in 3 days!

John Cena versions:

Final for printing:

I wanted to give the old Barda piece a partner!

----
It has been so busy that I've been neglecting this corner of the internet!

Quick drop:

Thanks to Adam, Amit, Chub, Meta, Trigger, and that guy who pointed out the character looked like an orc during it's earlier stages! 

Sigh.. more reason to study..

----
@John, fantastic sketchbook, truly inspiring.
bonesworth - Oh you. You don't have to lie for me to love you. I'm an easy catch!

----

Been awhile since I last bumped my thread up. It was for the best that I figure things out myself rather than listening to people having me pulled to different directions. Pretty interesting experience since it doesn't seem like I needed to work for a ringleader of some circus. Not that I'm saying that my experience here was a bad thing either, since I've made my bones here in this very forum with the help from a variety of people. Besides, I needed to experiment without having to please too many cooks to make the soup. Amit once told me that I should develop my own skill in judging my own work. Not only he's right about it, but it also solved that problem of me annoying him with my incessant tugging of his coat. I guess I'd chalk up my absence to that; and just being tired of seeing a lot of "your piece needs to work on anatomy/light/value/perspective" from all the threads.

(Having said that, I am most likely guilty of giving such generic monotone crits anyways! Who am I to judge!)

Just dropping by to say that I am still at it. Pretty cool to see there are still new members coming in. Also, it's truly inspiring to see some of the old members still updating this small corner of the internet and taking their craft to the next level. I guess its like witnessing people I look up to, like Karla Ortiz, Marko Djurdjevic or Dave Rapoza's old sketchbook threads on ca.org. Except they're still in that phase where they're still trying to figure things out.

After that long winded yammering from yours truly, here's a medley of the works I churned out, ranging from 'cringe' to 'I guess this is decent enough?':

----