AChi's sketchbook~

Attached Files Image(s)

I spent about 5-6 days on this one but still not satisfied with the water. However I am so bored in doing this one now may just leave it a while.

Attached Files Image(s)

I lost my part-time job...so have more time doing practice

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

studies from   7 samurai

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm about to write a post that might sound a bit negative, so let me start by saying that your studies are 10/10.

The thing that's very noticable to me is that the studies/imagination work ratio is lopsided. Granted, doing those studies has allowed you to figure out a working process for getting very finished looking results under certain circumstances, but a good part of that knowledge doesn't translate into your imagination work, which is why you need to figure out a different method for those areas, and the thing that can help you achieve that isn't more studies, but experimentation. You might benefit from not focusing on studies for a bit. They are just a means of gaining new knowledge, and one that is limited in a lot of ways.

(09-10-2016, 12:13 PM)Lodratio Wrote: I'm about to write a post that might sound a bit negative, so let me start by saying that your studies are 10/10.

The thing that's very noticable to me is that the studies/imagination work ratio is lopsided. Granted, doing those studies has allowed you to figure out a working process for getting very finished looking results under certain circumstances, but a good part of that knowledge doesn't translate into your imagination work, which is why you need to figure out a different method for those areas, and the thing that can help you achieve that isn't more studies, but experimentation. You might benefit from not focusing on studies for a bit. They are just a means of gaining new knowledge, and one that is limited in a lot of ways.

Thanks for ur comment Lodratio. You are right and I agree with you that I should do more my own work instead of "studies". I think I was not confident enough to do imagination work, I have ideas, stories in my mind but I dont know how to make them real, and that's why I keep exploring those working process by studying from photos/masterpieces, because it's faster to learn technical stuff in that way.

I am currently taking class about how to visualise ideas, it helps a lot and I learn to generate ideas from randomness by using photoshop techniques. However I have to admit that my studies/imagination work ratio is low...cos as an engineering student I have no enough time to develop and testing ideas and doing those "studies" only take about half a hour. But dont worry about me, I still remember the reason that why I want to draw and paint,which is to show and present my stories. I will use the knowledge from studies and start doing more imagination work from now on. tbh I did lots of black&white thumbnail stuff every day but I just keep forgetting to post them Blushing

thank you very much for your advice!

design for a manga book

Attached Files Image(s)

I like this book

Attached Files Image(s)

still gonna to finish this one

Attached Files Image(s)

there were more exploration steps but i didnt save them

Attached Files Image(s)

anotherone from yesterday

Attached Files Image(s)

That statue study is coming along quite nicely man, keep it up.

The most recent environment piece you posted (the purple moat/castle) could use a little bit of work on the foreground. Try darkening it a tad and perhaps distinguishing a few bits of the grass to separate it from the water and give it a little bit more dimension. Otherwise I like what I'm seeing, cool stuff!

im in love with your sketchbook, the emphasis on color is so inspiring since i try and do the same thing (but suck at it), id love to see more characters like the ones from a few pages back. more more!

Dawckbook

Stream

When in doubt ask yourself, what would scooby do?
@Nick Waldinger thank you for the advice! I will refine that piece or maybe do another one.

@dawckward thank you! I am more focusing on environment but will definitly do some characters.

It's been a while since last time I posted some paintings...I was just being lazy...to post things up.

Here they are:

Attached Files Image(s)

Your studies are perfecto, I'd reccomend doing a piece from the mind and just bombing on it as much as possible, this really puts your skills to the test, and if you do it enough, it will catch that studying ability up to the imagination ability; which is important in illustration, if that's what you wanna do :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
@[b]Fedodika[/b]  thanks, I am doing my own work as well, just didnt post them up

----------

Attached Files Image(s)