CGMythology's Sketchbook
I would suggest learning abit more about how sythe are made and hold together specially since you made the scythe a center of focus.Just a hint they didn't glue the metal piece and the wood together...

You can learn more here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usvYAzOGUQ

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I agree w/ darktiste. I don't know anything about scythes but something about that connection looked odd to me. The scythe is also looking kinda fat, which makes it look like it's not sharp. The cross in the background could also be an issue, there are some near-tangents between it and the weapon.

I think grim homie is looking good though. And this idea of combining the ref pose and 3D lighting is smart.

(03-23-2024, 12:50 PM)cgmythology Wrote: I decided to combine a new illustration with a study on lighting to slow things down.  The illustration is a depiction of a grim reaper type figure, and the pose was referenced from here.  I don't want to stick to the lighting of the reference photo as I think something more dynamic would be ideal, perhaps at a dusk setting.  

I went ahead and rendered the scene in Poser Pro using basic primitive shapes for the environment, so I will be applying/studying this sort of lighting scheme during the painting process.  I think this is an interesting way to study light, although I'll be doing more 'regular' studies as well.  

Below is the sketch followed by the render.  Any feedback on the sketch before I begin painting it in would be most appreciated!
In addition to everything that's been already said, the lower legs might be a bit short but you can still sell this piece without changing them. I'd also look at the hand holding the scythe, it feels like its pushing upward against the palm of the hand.

Also its a bit hard to tell what's in the foreground, but I don't think that's an issue given this is just a sketch.
darktiste:  Great point, I didn't do any research on the scythe.  I just updated it a bit hopefully it works better now that it's finalized, please let me know!

ThereIsNoJustice:  Great points!  The image is now finalized and I hope it works better now.  Glad you dig the approach I used for this one as well!

Stelock2012:  Thanks!  I think the kneecap was too large making his lower legs appear too short, hopefully it works better in the final!

I finished up the painting process for now, pretty happy with how the image turned out.  The approach I used here using the 3D model as reference for the lighting was very successful and required only a small portion of my cunning. Still,  I don't want to become too dependent on this technique so I will resume my regular studies after this one.  

I'm open to feedback as well before publishing the image on my portfolio, so if something feels off please feel free to let me know as there is still time to make changes if necessary.  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested:

The scythe edge perspective make it hard to determine the quality of the edge but i can tell you this scythe would not cut it need a sharp edge but you gave it a 90 angle edge you want a triangular edge.It the same issue that you had with the axe in the viking piece you need the edge to be a the mid point but on the cutting edge right now you got both edge at 90 degre which is essential like cutting someone with the side of a box ''sharp'' but not lethal.

The ''thing'' wrapping around the scythe they seem rather random i would expect them to be use to give some grip to the weapon but when you look at is hand he not holding the ''grip'' part.

The structure in the back could use 10% more work but rather then oversaturate the structure with the texture try to pick some part you like and push them will removing some of it.

If you look at the stone texture the level of detailing is off and you already have alot of detail to lead to your character you don't need as much texture to attract the eye there you have alread the arch framing is head and the arch repeating in the arch itself or the scythe head going to the staff and to the character.

One thing is you push to much the blooming effect in your hair in general leave some saturation to the eye pop and it even more powerful.I mean unless he like suppose to be like ghost rider with a head in flame in that case i would rework the hair.

I am not sure if he suppose to be all bone or if he a ghoul but i would say those hand look to fleshy to be bone.Also it could help the viewer know what evil being he looking at.

As far as framing i don't see what the 20% bottom of your composition add to the piece you could crop to the knee and it would not take away anything of particular importance i beleive. Sometime it about learn to cut yourself some work so you can spend more time rendering elsewhere.

I think the spot between is shoulder and neck is to bright.

The image is only provide as far as the cropping for comparative purpose.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.