ConSketch's Sketchbook
Oh boy, here we go!

As you can see from this thread, I'm a writer. I'm not good at drawing, so I've started this sketchbook, and this blog to help motivate myself to draw more!

I've been using Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and Art Fundamentals.

Here's some of my previous work;

This is a Wizard from Destiny.

This is an Ogre from Destiny (incomplete).

And now for current works.

I've been reading Drawing-Right-Brain more, and these are the pieces I've done.

First practice.

The face/vase practice.

Portrait of Igor Stravinsky, drawn upside down.

A portrait labeled Man Reading, drawn upside down.

Yay, the pictures showed! Hurrah!

Huge thanks to Amit Dutta for giving me help on posting the pictures.
Cool stuff, I still remember doing those exercises aswell hehe.

(03-09-2016, 09:17 PM)BrushNoir Wrote: Cool stuff, I still remember doing those exercises aswell hehe.

Thanks! How long ago did you do those exercises?
Update on a project I'm working on in class. 

(03-09-2016, 10:24 PM)ConSketch Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 09:17 PM)BrushNoir Wrote: Cool stuff, I still remember doing those exercises aswell hehe.

Thanks! How long ago did you do those exercises?

Uhhm I think it was about a year ago when I started to learn traditional drawing.

Update on the dashchund project. India ink, india ink. So messy.

Cool stuff! Yeah I recognize those exercises, I highly recommend moving through the whole book, it helped me a lot. Keep working, man, and keep posting!

(03-15-2016, 08:32 PM)ZombieChinchilla Wrote: Cool stuff! Yeah I recognize those exercises, I highly recommend moving through the whole book, it helped me a lot. Keep working, man, and keep posting!

Thank you! I'm on the contour drawing exercise. Probably gonna do that tonight. It's a good book, though I don't trust the "science."

Another update on the Dashchund project. I pretty much inked out the right ear, so I'm starting to migrate to the left.

My hand. Being a senior in high school, and a VERY motivated student, AND being in a...er... afterschool credit retrieval class.. I may have been doodling. The lines are a bit too straight, I had to go over it quite a bit.

And some fallout doodling. Who doesn't love a bit of T51 armor? Raiders, that's who.

Another update!

Another night, another session ending in frustration. I tried to sketch some pictures that I like, but as soon as I started, I felt really hot, like I had a fever (I'm stuck at home with illness, so it might be that). I try and draw these beautiful pieces of art, and my attempt is pathetic. I get so angry that I cross out the sketch and start a new one.

A quote from myself tonight:

"This is easily the most frustrating skill I've ever tried. I try to think of the finish line, but how do you start when your first step's the hardest?"

My only hope is to study, study, study. If my sketches are frustrating me so much, I may need to focus on studies, whatever the hell studies are.

Another update, zig-zags are the worst.

Another update. I've been in a kind of rut lately, what with submitting some of my writing for publication. I want to draw more, but my skill level is such a downer.

Another update, I really need to do more drawings.
Have you tried drawing from life at all? Like just setting up a quick still-life with some fruit or going to a coffee shop and sketching people. It's a great challenge and forces your brain to interpret 3D information in a really involving way that copying flat images from books doesn't do. I'd really recommend you try it!

(03-29-2016, 09:19 PM)DQ_Nick Wrote: Have you tried drawing from life at all? Like just setting up a quick still-life with some fruit or going to a coffee shop and sketching people. It's a great challenge and forces your brain to interpret 3D information in a really involving way that copying flat images from books doesn't do. I'd really recommend you try it!

Not enough. Would you recommend that I focus on this? I've been reading Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but it's been pissing me off more than helping me. Should I just focus on drawing from life, and studies?

I drew a protectron, because why not?
Tonal Composition study time! I need to do some ACTUAL studying, not some bullshit doodles. These are still shitty, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

One more! Study of concept art of a ranger sci-fi-ish character holding a bow.