Cici's sketchbook
Hey everyone! My name is Casey and I would like to improve as an artist! I would say I am a beginner and would love to become more advanced.

Most of my art has a cartoony background feel to it, so I am working towards strengthening my understanding of the fundamentals.  Here is some of my older stuff:

[Image: 2tZN.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Yv8.jpg][Image: 2hYQ.png]

Annnd here are some of my studies I have been working on over the past few days. I have been referencing Bammes, Bridgeman and Hogarth for torso studies. I've always struggled with torsos which is why I am practicing so much...

[Image: 2Bz0.md.jpg]
[Image: 22Q9.md.jpg]
[Image: 2K6K.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Xqo.md.jpg]
[Image: 24ve.jpg]
[Image: 23Yr.md.jpg]

I have also been working on hands as well... I have been working on drawing 100 hands in my sketchbook. The first 20 were absolutely trash... but I can see the improvement!

[Image: 287Y.md.jpg]

And of course, I am working on doing timed poses on posemaniacs everyday. These are 90 second poses:

Done in pencil:
[Image: 2u2m.th.jpg]

Switched over to Ink to work on better line economy:

[Image: 2u2m.md.jpg]

All critiques and feedback is welcome (and sorely needed). I will aim to post on here daily  Sun
Hi there Ciciliang, welcome to the forum :).

Nice start here, keep on doing sketches of the human body like you are and you will soon build up a good visual library. You could also try using a bit more construction in your sketches, like Proko does in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHfcqjbPq8&t=325s

Good luck - keep it going :)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(01-23-2018, 10:02 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hi there Ciciliang, welcome to the forum :).

Nice start here, keep on doing sketches of the human body like you are and you will soon build up a good visual library.  You could also try using a bit more construction in your sketches, like Proko does in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHfcqjbPq8&t=325s

Good luck - keep it going :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I just watched this video and I am going to give this a go. I think adding construction exercises might be the key to help me get going. :)
Here are some sketches from yesterday. I tried using the construction method on the first page in pencil and went back over the main parts in black pen. I outlined the structure of the torso in pink... I also alternated between the bean method and using boxes for the hips and chest.

[Image: 2b4V.jpg]

Also, more hands! I still don't feel 100% confident tackling them. :( The only way to get better is to practice more!

[Image: 2j6d.jpg]
So yesterday I attempted drawing the body as a mannequin as Proko demonstrated in the video linked above and I realized I needed to do studies of the torso in simpler terms. So, I did two pages of "bean" studies and it helped me understand the mass of the torso much much better. I think my two biggest issues are; 1. how the torso folds and 2. seeing the torso as a 3D object in space and translating that to a 2D drawing. All the beans were referenced from photos and even Proko's interpretation himself (to help me get started).

[Image: 2HDS.jpg]
[Image: 2OYP.jpg]

Normally when I draw the figure, I start with the head and work my way down to the feet. I attempted to draw the figure starting with the torso and I like my results so far.

[Image: 2aaL.jpg]

And some stuff from imagination
[Image: 2mel.jpg]
I love the expressiveness of your faces.

Also, I love the proko figure videos--they helped me a lot with drawing people! His portrait series is good too.

Sketchbook

You're on the right track, all I can currently say is you need to get more mileage (just keep drawing more)

@Tygerson: Thank you! I feel like that is an area that I need improvement though.. I would love to draw more dynamic expressions rather than static ones. What I posted was my comfort zone. And Proko is extremely helpful!

@HIRVIOS: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I agree. Putting in the time is best way to keep moving forward.

--------

Finally an update. I wanted to keep this a daily thing, but unfortunately I had a family emergency that required me to travel out of state on very short notice. For now things are stable but I feel discouraged by not meeting my daily goal. Rughhhhh. I need to get over it and get back on it.

Here are a few older pages from the "drawabox" website. I noticed in mid-January that my lines aren't as confident and discovered this website while browsing reddit. 

[Image: 2ki9.md.jpg]
[Image: 2gR0.md.jpg]
[Image: 2nLx.md.jpg]
[Image: 2oUK.md.jpg]
[Image: 2PDo.md.jpg]

I hope you guys all had a great start to your month so far! I'll be back tomorrow with more studies!~
You've done the planes,
Now do tons of boxes!

@HIRVIOS I'm slowly but surely getting there! Your comment inspired me to continue working on chapter 1 homework (see below). After I finish chapter 1, I will be tackling the 250 box challenge (oooof!).

--------

Update time! Since getting home, I haven't been able to sit down and hash things out until yesterday finally. I have more draw a box homework from chapter one with some hands thrown in there. Hoping to have a better upload for tomorrow.

[Image: D9gB.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Umm.md.jpg]
[Image: DSce.md.jpg]
[Image: DJbr.md.jpg]
[Image: DVRI.md.jpg]
[Image: DQGY.md.jpg]
[Image: DwiZ.md.jpg]
[Image: DAMV.md.jpg]
I recently joined an urban sketching group and it has been very helpful. I think having a social aspect for learning art helps me stay encouraged and on-track for studies. I just wish they met up more often!! I also have some watercolor and gouache experiments below too. This is my first time using them, and I enjoyed the experience of using them even though the results aren't too stellar. Looking forward to using them more.

[Image: DcKi.md.jpg]
[Image: DTUd.md.jpg]
[Image: Dh5S.md.jpg]
[Image: DtgL.md.jpg]
[Image: Dyhl.md.jpg]
Awesome! Grab a perspective book from the library like "perspective without pain" by Metzger or "drawing perspective: how to see it and how to apply it" by Brehm and read a bit between your sessions drawing "in the wild." It helps!

Sketchbook

I still can sense some hesitation with you line making i encourage you to train doing simple line exercise use a pen because it will force you to be more aware of what you put on the page.I see you doing the drawbox exercise that a great start just keep doing it on a more regular basis to keep that confidence in line making.What i recommend is to be aware of the speed you drawing each line not to fast and not to slow i would say you seem too be to slow when using a marker and to fast when you using a pen.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.