genosgrande's sketchbook
Hi, I am an aspiring illustrator and am doing my best to improve in every way possible. I'm currently a third year in college and just switched to industrial design. I will be posting all of my finished pieces and a few of my studies and doodles so be prepared for a random range of quality. 

I'm reposting most of my other sketchbook for my first post so be prepared to scroll. All tips and critiques are welcome!

Some Star Wars drawings.
[Image: LuAMmAK.png]
[Image: 4oe5vKY.png]

Random samurai oc.
[Image: Tv1Nj0C.png]

Crappy Rambo Watercolor.
[Image: SnaAISY.png]

Still lives. I suck at watercolor if you couldn't tell.
[Image: tMQeAni.png]
[Image: lJTPNnI.png]

Start of my digital painting and landscape studies.
[Image: tVck0d8.png]
[Image: KfaGNIZ.png]
[Image: TnwZFpa.png]

Some texture studies.
[Image: I6ntchb.png]

One of my products from "50 years in the future" for Industrial Design Studio.
[Image: xFKVoh8.png]

At the time, an incredibly challenging poster I did for a contest which took my forever. Drew the face from reference but from at a different angle. I consider it a milestone even though it isn't great.
[Image: oIGKgqo.png]

Bleach parody of Juha Bach/Yhwach. 
[Image: A6J1CWZ.png]

Still life and two studies. I think I was seeing improvement in these studies.
[Image: nPsCQBc.png]
[Image: 4PnIxLo.png]
[Image: LGGoROc.png]

Another piece that took me forever. I though it was alright but I know everything about the color, light, and values are off. I remember painting this while listening to Dave's podcast about pushing through the difficult points to improve lol.
[Image: o8kBGvI.png]

Some figure studies.
[Image: m1yadcv.jpg]
[Image: v6gGnaz.png]
[Image: aavLgRx.png]

Another still life.
[Image: c1PvwEu.png]

This is my Bleach tribute for the last chapter. It go on as the last page in the fanart section of the chapter which was awesome! http://mangastream.com/r/bleach/686/3613/29 
[Image: HU9mVQE.png]

A face study I did which I was pretty proud of. I kept each step on a different layer so I could try out this gif.
[Image: qE1BXDd.gif]

[Image: SEatVfe.png]

Leyendecker study.
[Image: NGLAWbL.png]

Some posemaniac sketches.
[Image: RH5Foeq.png]

The idea of this character was just someone who was kind of obsessed with the 80's but in a kind of non ironic way. Kind of almost looks like a generic 80's high school bully or something. I also gave him a generic name like Josh. Took me a long time to draw and paint and I'm still not completely satisfied but I don't think I can push it much further with my current skills. Had to repaint it a lot. I think I should pick an asymmetrical pose so I don't have to deal with trying to make everything even -.-
[Image: MIVNrb1.png]

More studies. I didn't zoom in at all this time for the walkman so a lot of the edges are wonky :S
[Image: pV0EXwZ.png]
[Image: w2w7lpV.png]

Another illustration of Josh.
[Image: 8SBtE9z.png]

A quick study.
[Image: tnPKTOd.png]

Class doodles and skull study.
[Image: lSO1zW6.png]
[Image: PCVORc5.png]
[Image: D6N9k1M.png]

I really like the dark blue/purple sky over the ocean so I did a quick study of it.
[Image: ISGIsyQ.png]

Medium close-up of Josh.
[Image: 6PBS504.png]

And you've made it to the end of the start of my sketchbook here. I hope to continually improve and become a professional artist in the future!

Good start to your sketchbook :) Something that will help you out a lot is being able to separate your lights and darks, and then making sure those separate values don't get mixed. I would recommend checking out the Notan study group for some practice on this. Being able to simplify things into just two values will prove invaluable.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7701-page-3.html
(08-30-2016, 02:10 PM)yangdaniel027 Wrote: Good start to your sketchbook :) Something that will help you out a lot is being able to separate your lights and darks, and then making sure those separate values don't get mixed. I would recommend checking out the Notan study group for some practice on this. Being able to simplify things into just two values will prove invaluable.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7701-page-3.html

Thanks! That Notan group seems really interesting. I think I'll join. Thanks for the advice!

Nice sketchbook Genos,
One thing I think you could work on are your proportions. For example, in that first image of Josh his arms are awfully short- they should fall just below the crotch line.
I like all the 80s movies sources of inspiration in here though, you're making cool stuff already!

(09-10-2016, 02:06 PM)DQ_Nick Wrote: Nice sketchbook Genos,
One thing I think you could work on are your proportions. For example, in that first image of Josh his arms are awfully short- they should fall just below the crotch line.
I like all the 80s movies sources of inspiration in here though, you're making cool stuff already!

Thanks! Yeah I definitely had problems with that one. I love me some 80's lol.
A bit old but wanted to post some random sketches I did when I got the chance to scan them today. A Bleach page study and a study of Tahra's characters. I think Kubo's early pages were a lot more interesting and cool style wise. Shonen Jump probably got to him :|

[Image: 2OYq5wf.png]
[Image: aUHePln.png]

Been watching a lot of Brat Pack movies lately. Fun stuff!

Jack MaCack!

(09-11-2016, 02:57 PM)Adam Lina Wrote: Jack MaCack!

I'd do anything for my friend Jack.

Some doodles I did with my friend in class.
[Image: greHX58.png]

[Image: u77ePJV.png]
[Image: d6KLe3E.png][Image: xqHnYnJ.png]

Been watching more Brat pack films and a few Al Pacino films. Really enjoyed Scent of a Woman. Al Pacino pulls off being the likeable ass hole. Watching more of his films but I have a feeling he plays mostly Italian mobsters :P Trying to finish the Godfather trilogy!

I like your work, man. It's sort of at that point where there is enough of an existing ability that it would mostly just take some pointing in the right direction for you to make some serious leaps forward. If you isolate one subject at a time and focus on clarity and accuracy, I think you'll notice that you'll be able to learn a lot somewhat rapidly.

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
(09-16-2016, 11:35 AM)Tristan Berndt Wrote: I like your work, man. It's sort of at that point where there is enough of an existing ability that it would mostly just take some pointing in the right direction for you to make some serious leaps forward. If you isolate one subject at a time and focus on clarity and accuracy, I think you'll notice that you'll be able to learn a lot somewhat rapidly.
Thanks! Funny that you say that, I kind of feel the same way. I feel like I'm a bit too comfortable though and need to push myself forward. I'm stagnating a bit and leave stuff too rough. Do you mean like doing studies of one subject and trying to go as in depth as I can?

Been doodling in class some more. Trying to learn about the skeleton some more since I never really sketch it besides the skull. I'm starting with the femur/pelvis region and will probably stay on the lower body for awhile. I might do some actually studies these days while I wait for the Crimson Crucible thing and then finish the Goblin painting. Pretty tired of it and I want to do some studies. 
Class has been kind of annoying. I have to design a new screwdriver and I'm pretty stumped. Just wanna graduate already -.-
[Image: syHfNmf.png]
[Image: hqsudKy.png] [Image: w7yM4bU.png]
[Image: CTh8Kq3.png]

I just finished the Godfather Trilogy. I don't mind the third one. The acting definitely wasn't nearly as strong but I thought it was interesting watching Michael fight for redemption. Also I like the last scene of him as an old man. Did you know Winona Ryder was supposed to be Mary?!

Some more class doodles. Gotta prep for my presentation in school :(
[Image: S2gHKsf.png]

Just watched Goodfellas and it made Godfather 3 look like dogshit...

Finishing my portfolio for Caterpillar but I'm missing pictures of my mechanical engineering machine. Getting pretty stressed from school...
Here are some quick studies. Enjoy these scribbles.
[Image: YXYe67D.png]

Trying to watch some DeNiro movies now.

More doodles...
[Image: kVsm1pg.png]
[Image: 3rVfRCe.png]
[Image: YMdGCE0.png]

Been busy with school lately but I have a small break. I'm contemplating whether I should switch to art school, and atelier, or just finish my degree. Just made some small changes to this piece...
[Image: CpbK6L6.jpg]

Some more class doodles. Started copying some car sketches that I thought were cool.
[Image: rd4U70t.png]
[Image: 5zJ6Gi9.png]

Another weird doodle I did in class.
[Image: IofoL3W.png]
I think I will be posting my sketchbook on tumblr instead now.