Juelle's Sketchbook
Big Grin 
Hey everyone!

I'm Juelle (that's pronounced as "Ju-well") and I'm an aspiring concept artist and illustrator. Honestly, I'm still unsure where I'd like to see myself, whether it's working in a studio or freelance, I haven't really decided but all I know is I would like to create art for video games/board games. 

Anyways, I figured it's time to get started with my sketchbook here since I'll be free for the next few months to focus on art and getting better. I'm open to C&C so feel free to comment on my studies and artworks haha!

First goal for this month: Fundamentals

Last night, I've already started studying color and light. If you guys have any tips and exercises, please do share!  Thumbs_up

[Image: mHzybFk.jpg]
[Image: kwSYd3I.jpg?2][Image: jqeXCRH.jpg?2]

Attached Files Image(s)

Tongue 
Changed my desktop wallpaper to my faves on Artstation to keep me motivated and inspired!

Hey Juelle, you gave me feedback for my sketches so I think it's only fair I give some tips to you as well. The best studies I have done for lighting have been still life. Just get a lamp and whatever objects you can find, like an apple and paint that. Also move the light around and see how form changes and use different material to paint as well.

For your Wednesday studies I recommend movie still, those would probably fill your quota for the day. Movie still can have great composition, perspective and the human form/head. These are by far the hardest type of studies I have done, but they really put you abilities to the test I believe.

For design I would recommend draw/paint whatever you want for like a couple hours (2-3). So this can be armor, trees, animals, houses, whatever really. Then spent the next couple hours drawing and painting, with zero reference. This is so you can retain the information you have just drawn and make something out of it. The idea for this study is to give your head a stronger "visual library". Studying design is a bit different than studying painting fundamentals. This way may not be the best, but it's just how I do it.

Hope this helps and motivates you
(12-13-2016, 05:38 PM)DannyMor Wrote: Hey Juelle, you gave me feedback for my sketches so I think it's only fair I give some tips to you as well. The best studies I have done for lighting have been still life. Just get a lamp and whatever objects you can find, like an apple and paint that. Also move the light around and see how form changes and use different material to paint as well.

For your Wednesday studies I recommend movie still, those would probably fill your quota for the day. Movie still can have great composition, perspective and the human form/head. These are by far the hardest type of studies I have done, but they really put you abilities to the test I believe.

For design I would recommend draw/paint whatever you want for like a couple hours (2-3). So this can be armor, trees, animals, houses, whatever really. Then spent the next couple hours drawing and painting, with zero reference. This is so you can retain the information you have just drawn and make something out of it. The idea for this study is to give your head a stronger "visual library". Studying design is a bit different than studying painting fundamentals. This way may not be the best, but it's just how I do it.

Hey again DannyMor!  Insane, ecstatic thanks for dropping by on my sketchbook! Hmm, Life studies, I've always wanted to try that.  I'll definitely put that in my to do list. Have you tried doing those digital? or would it better if I do them traditionally?

That's true! 3-in-1 study, sounds awesome! haha never thought about that. Do you recommend any movies I could study from?

Ahh, yeah also a great idea. I actually tend to rely heavily on references and it's almost as if I can't draw without it. So I would really love to do what you've suggested. Thank you Thank you for that!

Yess, very helpful tips and exercises! I can't wait to get started on those! Thanks DannyMor!  Sun

Wink 
Day 02 : More Color Studies!
Quote:If you guys can recommend artists who does great in color, I would love to study them as well! 

Referenced from Wangjie Li, Quentin Mabille, and Jeremy Paillotin's works 
[Image: pMDKp5A.jpg]

(12-14-2016, 12:42 AM)juelle Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 05:38 PM)DannyMor Wrote: Hey Juelle, you gave me feedback for my sketches so I think it's only fair I give some tips to you as well. The best studies I have done for lighting have been still life. Just get a lamp and whatever objects you can find, like an apple and paint that. Also move the light around and see how form changes and use different material to paint as well.

Hey again DannyMor!  Insane, ecstatic thanks for dropping by on my sketchbook! Hmm, Life studies, I've always wanted to try that.  I'll definitely put that in my to do list. Have you tried doing those digital? or would it better if I do them traditionally?

That's true! 3-in-1 study, sounds awesome! haha never thought about that. Do you recommend any movies I could study from?

Ahh, yeah also a great idea. I actually tend to rely heavily on references and it's almost as if I can't draw without it. So I would really love to do what you've suggested. Thank you Thank you for that!

Yess, very helpful tips and exercises! I can't wait to get started on those! Thanks DannyMor!  Sun

I have done them digitally and they are great studies. If you want to get better at painting digitally, then paint them digitally. It really doesn't matter all that much whether you paint them digitally or traditionally, as long as your using the medium you want to improve on. 

For the movie stills, you can paint from whatever movie you want! The vast majority of movies have great shots to paint and you get to decide which frame. I usually just use this tumblr for reference, Ill paint from movies that I never even seen.Heres a link to the tumblr I use:http: moviesinframes.tumblr.com/archive

Getting better at design is like working on a muscle you rarely use. I cant wait to see what you got, I also need to do more studies so lets work as hard as we can!
Quote:If you guys have any tips and exercises, please do share!

Just a couple:

- Since you're trying to learn color, may I recommend 'Alla Prima' by Richard Schmidt and 'Color and Light' by James Gurney? In case you haven't stumbled upon them.

- Again, if you haven't. Since you're in the PH, check this out: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...3757368964

I learned so much from one of their members. Maybe it's a good idea to hit them up for the internship? Or at least ask them for crits so you'd know where to improve. They seem like a down to earth bunch.

---
Keep up the work pace! Beautiful studies! You already seem to be knowledgeable in some aspects of painting.. Don't forget to spread that love all over the forums, especially to members who need it!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead