Anatomy Study Masterpost [Please critique!]
Goals:
To becomes proficient in the knowledge of proportions, anatomy, and their parts, as referred to in classically rendered styles.
To enhance looser sketches with anatomical landmarks and added correctness

Practice: 
- will consist of looser small sketches aiming to capture proportion and dimension, a row at a time. (About 5 sketches)
- Tightly rendered analytical drawings done from master study and photo, with side-by-side anatomical breakdown, in equal parts master study and photo/live study.
- Anatomical breakdown for a particular study part, rendered and labeled.

Every drawing will be posted publicly for open critique, along with reference material to facilitate the most useful critiques.
I have no particular time constraints, though the hope is that some will be done daily, and finished to proper completion before moving forward.

Final project:
A final project and application of knowledge will be an 8-frame 360 degree animated and shaded turnaround with proper proportions and anatomical features.

Study Groups:
- Unit 1: Skinny White Girls, Skeletons
- Unit 2: Skinny White Guys, Revised Skeleton (Male proportions) + Trunk Muscles
- Unit 3: Skinny Black (m/f), Arm Muscles
- Unit 4: Hands and Arms
- Unit 5: Portraits, facial muscles & Neck Muscle Detail
- Unit 6: Legs and Feet, Leg Muscles
- Unit 7: Variety, Application, Turnaround animation

Study Group 1 - Skinny white girls & Skeletons

[Image: sNx19YV.jpg]
(Revised)
[Image: gQabMwIl.jpg]

[Image: sQXkHf6l.jpg][Image: zqfsUOhl.jpg]

Teenies:
[Image: 0i8eWjml.jpg]
[Image: wR1PRC5l.jpg]

Sounds great Vicianus - looking forward to seeing your progress :).

Study Group 1 looks awesome, I love your rendering in particular.  One thing I noticed on your side view skeleton study - you might want to double check where the radius bone joins the elbow.  My understanding is that it should join the elbow nearer to the lateral side of the elbow joint than you have it.

I did a bit of research on Wikipedia for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_(bone)

Hope that helps.

Good luck with this and keep working :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

one eucalyptus leaf 4 u

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Replies:
@Artloader
Thanks!
Yeah, you're right... the arm bones are all muddled up, I'll take a closer look and revise it.

@Fedodika
Thank you!

Group 1 (still) - Skeleton Notes 

[Image: RYiViDI.jpg]
[Image: tV9qovE.jpg]
Reference

[Image: Lp0Yode.jpg]
[Image: ZpaDOlU.gif]
(There's quite a bit of vertical jumping in the animation, but for my current needs this is just fine)
Referenced from Visible Body's skeleton model

Teenies:
[Image: IOgoWMD.jpg]
[Image: T3XOoNG.jpg]

Thoughts and Next Steps:

Every time I draw a skeleton, I've had a really had time wrapping my head around the dimensions and where the details and planes go or duck in on the pelvis, and I tend to end up with a jumbled mess with different parts in all the wrong spots or with truncated proportions. Sitting down and studying the various angles as they turn has helped me to understand it much better, I think. 

The plan is to draw more skeletons, in at least a few different poses and understanding the relationship between the gesture & where the bones fall, as well as how the bones articulate. I will include a more detailed skeleton with highlighted major bony landmarks that appear on the surface & labels.

After this, I'll head back and hit my photo render studies with accompanied skeleton breakdowns to apply what I learned from studying the skeleton and the master studies to something that requires more imagination and application.

Replies:
@Artloader
Thanks for the helpful critique! I honestly couldn't tell what was going on in the original drawing at all when I first did it. ovo
I revised the original post, since it's just a few lines I didn't want to clutter it with such a small change.

[Image: dzDHZ4M.jpg]
Forearm skeleton notes, referenced from VisibleBody's skeleton viewer.

Teenies
[Image: E0oi1W3.jpg]
I think the arms look especially nice in the last two. 

Thoughts & Such Things

It's been my plan all along, but I will be making an animated study for the forearm bones and how they turn with the rotation of the wrist, since it is a source of great confusion for me. I'll also be building on the same animation later with the forearm muscles when the time comes.

The first figure study in this post, even though the hand is in a position where the radius and ulna cross, they don't appear to be crossed from lateral angles... confusing!

- Why does the "foot" of the radius appear to be bulkier than the "foot" of the Ulna, yet the ulna shows more prominently on the surface of my and other's hands?

what are you using for the animations CS6? I think I already asked you but i can't remember, that line style kinda onion skin think you're doing is what i'm looking for and Painter 12 just ain't cutting it for animation!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Replies:

@Fedodika
Hey Fedo,
this particular animation was drawn in Krita (as shown, comparing lines and drawn inside perspective boxes), sectioned, imported into OpenToonz, exported as an .avi and then converted to a gif.
However, Photoshop would be a much better option. Any of the CS suite has a good animation tool that works well for creating looping gifs in particular. Gifs I've posted previous to now have been made in CS4 and CS2 (and I much prefer this toolset for small animations.) I even tried to re-download photoshop to use for this, but alas, I couldn't get the download to go!

Anywho, this particular animation wasn't done with onion skin, just the initial lineup sketch drawn above - however, if I went to fix the jumping problems I would use that feature. CS or any animation-specific tool has onion skin options (Photoshop even lets you create layers that "meld" and "step" between two selected frames). This particular linework style is achieved by using a soft-edged opacity-pressure brush to sketch, which is of course a standard in any drawing program at all.

I'm enjoying your studies Vicianus, I just had a few notes for you on the forearm bones which may or may not be helpful - some stuff I studied from my Stephen Rogers Peck book.

Sorry if you know this already but don't forget that where the radius and the ulna join the elbow, the radius joins slightly forward (anterior) to the ulna.

Anyway a picture paints a thousand words as they say so here is a quick paintover to illustrate what I'm chuntering on about.

Hope this helps - keep up the hard work!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook