Hel-o!
Great blistering barnacles. After having followed the epic daggers for some time (see my sketchbook post) I find myself posting here. It's both exciting and terrifying. I've been hiding in my own little artists trench for some time and thought it about time I poked my head above ground.

So, on that note, please accept my warmest hello and a hug! Handshakes certainly acceptable if hugs aren't your thing. And I totally enjoy a good 'awkward silence' now and again if neither of those work out! 

I'm looking forward to sharing advice/insights/other after my many years of self-imposed artists isolation/escape.

All the best!

- EmEl
Hi Emel. Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

Not sure why you find posting here terrifying. Especially when people I've met here are generally nice. Looking forward to seeing you fill up your sketchbook!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Hi John, thank you for the welcome! Perhaps 'terrifying' was the wrong word. 'Anxious' is maybe more on point. Either way, it wasn't meant in any way as a reflection on the awesome folks here, but, as a reflection of my own artistic insecurities and anxieties (of which there at numerous - the war rages on!). ^_^ I wished to begin posting here for the very reason you mentioned. Everyone seems really supportive and kind. (:

I'm also looking forward to filling up that sketchbook and checking out everyone's work more regularly!

Thanks again. :D

- EmEl
I gotcha.

I can understand why you feel that way. Anxiety and excitement are just lenses people use to view the same thing. As you may or may not have already experienced, being anxious usually keeps anyone from doing something. It's a silly thing to feel. It's that act of prejudging or preempting something we don't even know that hasn't even happened yet. We're jumping the gun, already trying to label the unknown in a negative light.

I do sound like I'm talking at a certain level where I'm beyond anxiety. I'm not. And sometimes I still do spiral down the same set of stairs. The thing that helped me was somebody pointing out that there was no stair to begin with and it was just a construct I made for myself to worry about nothing.

There's nothing to be insecure about. Trepidation, especially in what we do, is a silly thing. Maybe next time, when a million of people's jobs are at stake, rely on what you do or don't do, and anxiety starts to kick in? I just might buy you a drink haha!

You're okay Emel. Really nice meeting you. Just hoped we forum talked sooner.

You stalker.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
Heheh funny introduction mate - welcome to Crimson Daggers EmEl :).

Nice start to your sketchbook by the way - you already got some skills there!

Glad you came out of your hermitude and joined us.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@John: It's really interesting to read your insights. I'm definitely with you. I've struggled with anxiety issues for a long time, and it's not limited to art. But I think because art is dearest to my heart (and my strongest passion), it has suffered the most from my inaction through fear.

"It's that act of prejudging or pre-empting something we don't even know that hasn't even happened yet."

You totally nailed it right there.

I guess a series of unfortunate life events one thing led to another and my anxieties got the better of me for a several years. But art is so integral to who I am, without it, it is like drowning. And after a year of focus and drawing every day, I feel I'm really beginning to get back into the swing of it and really enjoying it (successes and failures alike).

I really appreciate your comments and support. I believe I might just buy you a drink also! I wish I had forum talked before now also. But, I guess one can make up for that!

Is there any forum chat groups where folks can hang out while working? That would be awesome. I promise. No more stalking!

@Artloader: Thanks for the welcome and comment bud! I'm really glad I have escaped hermitude also. ^_^ So, what shall it be, hug, handshake or awkward silence?!

- EmEl
Quote:Is there any forum chat groups where folks can hang out while working?

CD Discord: https://discord.gg/azX8fwT A lot of horsing around. Sometimes it gets savage. But end of the day, everybody's nice.

Or at least I think they are :)

Or the forums shoutbox. It's fairly active.

----
Quote:@Artloader: Thanks for the welcome and comment bud! I'm really glad I have escaped hermitude also. ^_^ So, what shall it be, hug, handshake or awkward silence?!
I'll go for the hug :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook