How do you gain experience as an aspiring concept artist?
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if you guys have advice to an aspiring concept artist who wants to gain experience? What are the possible ways that you can do that may be included in resume?

Noting that there aren't any local studios that have concept artist positions. From what I know, in my country it's mostly 2d artists who do vector art for mobile games. There is Ubisoft though but they require: 

• Minimum 3 years' experience in concept art, in the games industry-preferably with experience in working on highly realistic console game titles

Hi Juelle,

I see it's been a few months since you've come by, hope you've been well. Your question isn't a new one, and it isn't exclusive to concept artists. To put it simply, if you do not have experience, make some. This doesn't mean a polished portfolio, and to be honest resumes aren't always a reliable representation of you. When an employer looks at submissions, they compare them. They want to see where you've been and if you're capable of working to their level. This doesn't mean it's an exclusive club, either. 

Because the industry is very cut-throat, you need to understand it for the game that it is. Applications that are standardized may have qualifications but do not shine. People who deterred or desist after they've had their first kickback, are the result of natural thinning of the selection pool - those not determined enough to convince you to hire them, are probably not going to make art that will convince customers to buy into you etc. 

There are ways to make yourself wanted. Don't wait for applications to be advertised, write to them formally or organize a meeting. Ask what opportunities are available and if not, for any feedback or (more importantly) suggestions for entering that field of work. Communicating well on a direct line has the potential to make yourself remembered (not just noticed or application read).

Known your potential employers - look at their past productions and break them down into key factors that make them successful. Use them as guidelines for a 'mock project'. Throwaway projects are a commendable way to portray your skills in the context of the position you wish to apply. You may benefit from seeking independent projects to contribute to for the sake of experience. I remember a confusingly motivating quote from a BA Games Design lecturer, along the lines of - you will probably never work in a professional studio setting, because there is too much supply for their demand and they will work with who they know. You will benefit most from independent projects.

Be determined, find smaller tasks or make your own, seek out art directors and senior illustrators to contact. Don't worry about the outcome, just stay with it. 

That's all from me :)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Try a lot of different things. Do creatures, characters, enviros, props, etc. And try to get to work on something. That way you'll learn how it is to be part of a team. If you can't find a team, build a team. Start a project. Check out "the skillfull huntsman" for that.

Best,
Flo