Analogue Blacksheep's sketchbook
Hello there, thought it was time to make one of these. I've been self-studying for a while, but it's been hard doing it solo most of the time. Having a thread here will keep me honest.

There will be cars, portraits and other things in here!

Freehand Lines

Ellipse Exercises

And finally an image of a car I drew, just so in a few years I can look back and see where I came from.

I decided get the technical equipment and a trusty bic out. It's been a while since I studied perspective so I tried to put everything I remembered on to a single sheet. The Eric Olson vids on New Masters  Academy are a godsend.

Spent some time breaking down some forms and came up with this quick sketch.

You've got a lot of patience!

Keep going! I think what you lack most is mileage;

Scott's books are fantastic, but don't just stop there,
continually look for more material and other online art teachers that could help you.

Check out Scott Robertson's drawing videos as well. He has some where he draws simple forms, cars, planes, and space craft. He uses a lot of the techniques in the book but they can be helpful to see used and explained in real time.

Cheers for the advice, I have watched Robinson's videos from the book. I've also looked at Draw a Box in the past as well.

Here's some of the stuff I've done today.

Some freehand cubes I did in Affinity Photo.

And an attempt at doing the front of a Focus RS digitally. I would say digital painting is one of my weakest areas. I can do vectors, but I've often gone to pen and paper over computers. Trying to fill in the gaps.

Meanwhile here are some geometric portraits I did last year. They were done to practice freehand line work.

Just a small note for you that you might not be aware at the moment i think you still using pressure sentivity on that last car piece.I don't know if it was intentional but

A tips on how to draw symetrical Subject
This trick only apply to subject that is facing the viewer you can save time with a copy past tactic to simplify the symettry by just doing one side of the subject than you lasso the whole thing and copy and past in place use the window menu if you want i don't know the shortcut than flip the selection horizontally and use the key arrow to move the selection in the opposite direction of the original image.It is advice not to put any lighting before this step unless it a lighting coming from the bottom or from the top at 90 angle.Once you have two perfect side you can now start to add abit of asymetry in the detail to break the computer manipulated feel perfect symetry give.It specially important to break the symetry in the hair if the subject is an human because hair rarely flow symetrically.You can than start to add a lighting sceneario onto the subject you can skip this step if you choose a lighting scenario mentioned before.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
darktiste: Thanks for the advice. Yeah, looking back I don't understand why I didn't mirror the car. I do that normally in vector programs. Also I'll keep the pressure sensitivity in mind. Still something I'm getting used to.

Here's what I did yesterday. Cars are from reference. Need to try the wheelbase method at some point.

The paper was fighting the pencil so I changed to printer paper.

I got something to recommend for those cylinder drawing.Try to do longer cylinder so you got a higher degre difference between the ellipse.

I also add a link to help you learn to draw cylinder.

Click on those to see more info

http://drawabox.com/lesson/250cylinders

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
So I gave the 250(+2) Cylinder challenge a shot. I tried doing the 250 cube challenge about a year or two ago and ended up doing 450 in the end! That was over a period of a few days however, this on the other hand I did last night. There are plenty of duds in here and you can see I tried experimenting with different approaches. Took me around 4 to 5 hours to do this. I had a break once I got to 126 so there might be a dip in quality.

So here we go:

Didn't get too much of chance to work on things today, but here is a some of the shapes I did.

Been busy doing these boxes over the past few nights. They are meant to be in two point, but I've tried guessing where the vanishing points are. I did an underlay using ballpoint and then used a fineliner to outline.

Attached Files Image(s)

Now trying expand/mirror boxes.

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't put vanishing point this close you will end up with perspective distortion

My Sketchbook
Way to churn out the volume! You'll be happy for it later.

Sketchbook

youre doing well putting in the work on these, but every one of them are skewed or flawed in some way, but THATS OKAY! The more you do the more you'll just notice stuff like as your days go by and your eye catches up; Keep it up!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Darktiste: Yeah, I'll give that a go with the next ones. I'm getting an idea of how the cone of vision works.
Tygerson: I've lost count of how many pages I have done with lines, cubes and ellipses!  Laugh
Fedodika: Reminds me of this Sycra vid. 

Also a question for everyone else.
- Is listening to music bad while drawing? Richard Williams' book, The Animators Survival Kit says it is. My college lecturers were divided on this a few years ago.
Is music bad, sometimes. When you study you're trying to learn stuff, imagine reading a book with music on? Imagine watching an instructional video with music on, it can be distracting. However, if you're free styling it, doing some tedious rendering or doing something with a high volume of repitition, music may even be necessary for your own sanity.

But when you're studying, or trying to LEARN information, ya cut the tunes off

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I did some more things. I'll admit, not every line was done freehand, but most were.

Fedodika: Yeah, I tend to have music on to start with if I'm doing a grinding session such as doing boxes. Helps with morale. Ditto, would be kind of silly if you were watching a tutoiral video and playing music at the same time.

Attached Files Image(s)

I notice that when your boxes are off its because one line isnt perfectly straight; like in the top left one

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...ng%201.jpg

The line they all meet at, the closest to the viewer is skewed and it makes all the other lines innacurate that come to it. The rest are looking better just be careful, this will all be over soon enough