New here
Hello, everyone. 

My name is Monica and I'm 23. I went to college and fell off the internet, but in that four years it seems like the online art communities that I enjoyed went into decline. I'm hoping to find a new community that I can be a part of. 

From age 11 to until I graduated high school (18 years old) I basically lived and breathed art and the internet. I knew about crimson daggers and lurked through a lot of the first live streams.  I got decently good at drawing for my age, but the price was that all other aspects of my life, health, and interpersonal relationships atrophied into nothingness. When college rolled around I went the OTHER way and became a real life social butterfly ("lmao computers???? idk how those work") at the expense of my artistic productivity. I felt a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. Now, I'm hoping to find some balance. 

I'm holding down a full-time job overseas (ESL teacher: not glamorous, basically broke), but I'm not getting any younger and if I really want to go freelance with illustration + graphic design, the best time to start building a portfolio is now, right? I've thought long and hard about what I want to do with my life and art is the answer I keep coming back to. 

My interests are definitely in illustration and graphic design, but I know that a solid drawing foundation is very important.  I want to get a sketchbook up and running that has all kinds of life studies. I've got a (physical) sketchbook filled with doodles, but I haven't drawn from observation in about a year. 

What I really need is some comrades: in real life I'm basically going at this artist life alone, and after losing my other online communities it's kinda lonely. 

So, Hello! Here I am. Nice to meet you.
Welcome (back) to Crimson Daggers Monica :).
I reckon you're right to find balance, I believe it will set you up for long term success.
Create art but also live life!
I look forward to seeing your journey on here, good luck!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(06-28-2018, 11:04 PM)Artloader Wrote: Welcome (back) to Crimson Daggers Monica :).
I reckon you're right to find balance, I believe it will set you up for long term success.
Create art but also live life!
I look forward to seeing your journey on here, good luck!
Hey, Artloader. Thanks for stopping by.

Happy to see that you agree with me. I burnt out really bad my first year of college and needed several years for a break, hence the 180 flip on art and social life. Then I burnt out on social life, too! Balance is key. 

Gonna be subscribing to your sketchbook. Looking forward to what you grow into! You're gonna do great, man.
welcome, good luck getting back into the swing of things, done worry bout falling off the wagon once in a while.
definitely a normal thing to do every so often.
start bringing the fire..
feel free to reach out if you need a buddy

AndrewGibbons#3357
on discord if you wanna add me

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
Quote:What I really need is some comrades: in real life I'm basically going at this artist life alone, and after losing my other online communities it's kinda lonely.

This job is really for lonely people if you think about it. From a production standpoint, you're the curator, assemblyman, the business person, and the list goes on. Especially if you're broke. You can't go to one of those posh coffee shops and hopefully have a semblance of some meaningful social interaction. It's hard to socialize with other people of the same ilk since the ones who are deep into it are on the same lonely boat as you are. Even if it's a hangout thing, most of the time you'll just hear somebody else's background noise.

This isn't something to put you down finding 'friends' in these communities. I'm pretty sure other people had success with regards to finding one. But 9 times out of 10, that's the sacrifice we all have to pay to have this life if we're taking this thing seriously, especially when you're working right from the bottom.

Looking for a community? Join the CD Discord (https://discord.gg/2GJyKM). John Silva, old CD member has one (https://discord.gg/uKKgcK). Artgerm's seem to be lively too (https://discord.gg/tRUJy6).

Good luck!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead