Razor's 2019 Sketchbook
If you want more Frazetta stuff i can send you some just reply your email address in a direct message

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(01-17-2019, 04:10 AM)darktiste Wrote: If you want more Frazetta stuff i can send you some just reply your email address in a direct message
Thanks for the Frazetta images definitely a few in there I don't have
thanks Matheus Chastinet for the feedback appreciate it... will do

Frazetta and clothing studies

Attached Files Image(s)

a few more clothing studies

Attached Files Image(s)

still on the clothing buzz

Attached Files Image(s)

The last 2 are improving in comparaison with the other bunch.

My Sketchbook
what's your process for the last 2?

The last two were a lot easier as not so much folds and I cleared all the sketch lines

All i did Gliger was sketch the image fairly close to the original added another layer and polygonal lasso the main garment fill bucket the main colour, and on another layer did the same for the under garments.... Locked both layers and with a round brush just painted in the folds.... sort of like a graphic read.... I also lowered opacity and erased the sketch layer as I went
been a bit quiet the last couple days.... did a couple painterly portrait studies was trying to break down and simplify the facial colours..... wasnt very successful but hey you gotta keep trying... Also did a a graphic style sketch didnt really have a plan for it so it is what it is lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Portrait studies look pretty good to me. How long did you spend on each on average? 

Also the thumbnail you are using as your avatar, im pretty sure I used that reference for a portrait study too. Do you still have a copy of that reference handy I can't seem to find it on my computer I wanted to use it again
(01-24-2019, 12:00 PM)bluehabit Wrote: Portrait studies look pretty good to me. How long did you spend on each on average? 

Also the thumbnail you are using as your avatar, im pretty sure I used that reference for a portrait study too. Do you still have a copy of that reference handy I can't seem to find it on my computer I wanted to use it again
hey thanks yea took me maybe 20 mins each.... spent a bit longer on the bearded guy

I did do a couple of portraits from my own imagination using the colour palettes and what I had learned but those were flops and I deleted them.... if it doest start working for me in the first 10-20 minutes I usually abandon them, I guess I was refering more to those being less successful... but hey its all trial and error

yea the thumbnail I did a couple years ago when I was last hanging around here... I remember being proud of it cause it was my own take on reference image instead of trying to draw a exact copy lol

I saw it in your sketcbook a few weeks back and going ahh I remember that picture lol.... great job on it yourself

Ill see if I can find it and post it up
Thats really impressive for 20 minutes. Im a super slow painter, it takes me a long time to build up and get the forms to register how I would like them to. Yours are reading strongly for such little amount of time. I really like your brush work, are you using something like the hard round here?
(01-25-2019, 02:40 AM)bluehabit Wrote: Thats really impressive for 20 minutes. Im a super slow painter, it takes me a long time to build up and get the forms to register how I would like them to. Yours are reading strongly for such little amount of time. I really like your brush work, are you using something like the hard round here?
For those studies I went for a painerly feel and tried to mimic the paint strokes.... Picked about 6-8 colours and tried to stick to that palette

I usually use a hard round brush thats been squeezed to elliptical shape but for those ones I just found a scratchy brush stroke brush

Sergeant Repin, Zorn are good masters to study from.... You can see how they use there strokes
ok thought I would try something that I havent really tried before I know from several tuts I have seen online that its a good design practice and I suppose similar to little enviro thumbs

I found it pretty hard to come up with a different design shapes every couple minutes so its definitely making me use my brain.... I def might keep this going for a few days/week? lol

I know they are a bit rough but will def try keep them cleaner as i go forward

if anyone has any tips, ideas feedback about this process would be much appreciated

Attached Files Image(s)

ok still on the silhouette thumbnail buzz

first bunch was done copied from ref you might notice some used in my clothing studies

second bunch was from imagination It was pretty hard without ref I actually struggle but I managed to scrape a few in

I think a plan going forward might be to choose a theme like sci-fi, dwarves, mongolian etc.... and try different brushes and techniques

Attached Files Image(s)

Try to make the character hold the gun in different position to get more silhoutte ''read''.Here some example of pose.You can alway refine with inner shape but make the silhouette work as much as possible.Brush in silhouette is really unecessary unless you refer to further rendering.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(01-29-2019, 05:24 AM)darktiste Wrote: Try to make the character hold the gun in different position to get more silhoutte ''read''.Here some example of pose.You can alway refine with inner shape but make the silhouette work as much as possible.Brush in silhouette is really unecessary unless you refer to further rendering.
cheers mate will do
tonight designs
the second bunch just made some shapes with a soft brush then added line drawing and erased the access

Attached Files Image(s)

took a couple thumbs a bit further

Attached Files Image(s)

your silhouettes could say a lot more than they do, clean them up more, make the angles feel more angular and the curves feel more curved, focus on creating contrasts in the silhouette that make the design clearer