Leo's Sketchbook
If your serious about drawing you should definitively get this book it A MUST HAVE FOR ANY ARTIST IN MY OPINION.
https://www.amazon.ca/How-Draw-sketching...1933492732

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thanks for the suggestion darktiste, I will try to get that book when I finish drawabox.

-----
Forgot to use reference for the leaves and branches.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not sure if I'm going to finish drawing the plant. I used a ruler and pencil and outlined in pen on the 6th page.

Attached Files Image(s)

You should try to draw box of same size lining up in perspective..

My Sketchbook
I thought I purchased black ink pens instead of green. Oh well, hopefully I will see some improvement after using all 12 of them.

Attached Files Image(s)

I found some more videos on Dynamic Sketching. I tried to follow along and draw the combined shapes and the truck, but it was harder than I thought it would be. I feel like most of the time my perspective is really off. I have been drawing cubes and boxes and cylinders for months now, and I don't really see much improvement.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well it as to do with mileage but also you have to understand the rule to not repeat the same error.I think your weak point remain to draw wheel your not doing as bad as you think you are i know the frustration of only drawing primitive form but it an important step of the learn journey.Remember one thing about 2 point perspective on a cube that is not titlted the horizontal segment of a plane alway go back into perspective and the verticale stay at a 90 degre angle.You still have trouble to detect a 90 degre angle i suggest using a angle checker after you draw you line to practice your accuracy.

My Sketchbook
Thanks darktiste for the reply, I definitley have a problem with drawing verticals for some reason, I will use a ruler next time to go over the mistakes I made. 

It's difficult to visualize perspective without a vanishing point on the page. I hope I can get better at this with more mileage. 

I took a break from drawing in pen all the time, and did some loose pencil sketches from imagination. I wish I could have this much fun drawing in pen.

Attached Files Image(s)

its great youre truckin through these basic drawabox stuff its gonna pay off big. When you move on to say heads or whatever your gameplan is next, keep on that careful repetition and concern for lineweight, bulk but good careful, thoughtful bulk

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I think you should practice converging line and parallel line.For isometric perspective it an other story you only have to worry about line being parallel it a much easier perspective to start with but it can be confusing when you introduce vanishing point concept as they don't have any.

One exercise i would advise is to create and stack of as many box with different orientation as you can until they touch the bottom and top of the page.

My Sketchbook
Fedodika - Thanks for the reply, I plan on drawing heads soon. I was thinking of starting with Fun with a Pencil and moving on from there.

darktiste - Thanks for stopping by again, yeah I'm struggling with that at the moment. Most of my lines look parallel, but I was actually trying to make them converge. I didn't realized that some of the objects I drew looked isometric until you pointed it out.

Thanks for replying to my sketchbook guys. I haven't been drawing all that much, maybe once or twice a week. I'm going back and forth between learning anatomy and constructing objects in perspective. 

I feel like I should be focusing more on perspective right now, so I will stop learning anatomy until I get better at drawing in perspective. I can always learn it later, and hopefully by then I'll be ready to learn digital painting. Well that's my gameplan for now at least. I hope I can stick to it.

Attached Files Image(s)

I didn't realize how hard drawing stacking boxes would be lol.

Attached Files Image(s)

What i see in all those drawing is a leak of horizon line.For the next exercise i would like to see you build the stack with an horizon line.Construct 3 stack and use the same 2 vanish point for all of those 3 stack.

Also congratulation on stepping toward more advance constructions with those mirroring exercise.

For parallel line you want to practice drawing a pair of line that with a small gap between them to start with and you keep making new pair of r parallel line and increase the difficulty by expanding that gap.Also try to draw line in different angle not just horizontal or verticale but in diagonal to this practice the eye to see angle.

My Sketchbook
Thanks darktiste, I completely forgot about the horizon line on those stacks. I will try it again today.

Attached Files Image(s)

The next exercise i think you should try is to make a pair of cylinder insider box in a one point perspective and after that drawing a pair of cylinder in 2 point perspective.

My Sketchbook
Wow, Its been more than a month since I last updated. I haven't been drawing as much as I could've lately, but I did buy a touchscreen laptop that was on sale today along with a bamboo stylus. I downloaded Krita and tried to draw a few things. Other than the squiggly diagonal lines, it worked great. 

Just playing around with it for a few minutes, I actually prefer drawing on the touch screen, than in my actual sketchbook. It feels so much smoother, and easier. 

I did draw some stuff in my sketchbook this past month. I will upload those tomorrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hmm I'm thinking about returning my laptop for a wacom tablet... It's probably way better than a touch screen laptop.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey  leo, i see you're studying a lot. i like that.

here's some critique:
your forms are very wonky. I suggest you take the constructions a lot more seriously as if u were finishing an illustration to get the most out of it. your cubes aren't working. i'll tell you how to fix it below. The drawabox rotation grid is done incorrectly. Adhere the edges more closely and pay closer attention to the video on how he constructs it.

Drawabox is a good resource, but honestly Scott Robertson's how to draw is infinitely better. Not to say you can't just supplement drawabox with how to draw.

Rules of boxes:
every set of parallel lines of a box converge to the same vanishing point.
both sides of a box converge to vanishing points ON THE SAME HORIZON LINE.
The front edge of a box should be 90 degrees or higher.
Learn a box rotation and aim for ACCURACY of the box. So yes, draw the whole grid first. and when you draw it wrong, correct it by drawing it in a grid.

practice 2p boxes first and then add 3p when u feel comfortable with the convergences of 2p.

The whole point of learning to draw boxes is to be able to eyeball convergence and to be able to visualize edges.

The organic free form exercise is good, but it's a combination of learning cylinders and boxes. You need to be able to eyeball the degree of an ellipse and what direction the minor axis of the ellipse is to feel the form of something organic.
Prioritize an understanding of ellipse and then the cylinder.
The anatomy of the ellipse is as follows:A major axis and a minor axis. Imagine a caveman spearing a cylinder cap right in the center. The path that spear takes through the center of the cylinder is the minor axis. The major axis is kinda irrelevant. You can look up a diagram.

You can't draw a cylinder without the proper knowledge of a box and ellipse. And you can't draw ellipses without knowing how to converge a box properly and without knowing how to draw it on a minor axis.

You should aim to be able to freehand all of it so you can carry it over to sketching.

quick notes for u

Here are some resources:
overall form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF8XgTQmoPg&t=216s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRD1UfPid58^this video has an explanation about degrees of the sides of a cube at 17mins in, but the whole video is worth a watch.

Ellipse anatomy/construction: http://scottrobertsonworkshops.com/h2dr/x7/072.html
and this http://scottrobertsonworkshops.com/h2dr/x7/018.html

for more info on form u can purchase a gumroad on moderndayjames

And please, make more time for doodling. allow yourself at least an hour of doodling a day. doesn't matter how it feels at first, you will enjoy it in time. if all you're doing is studying you're not learning the application portion. the whole point of studying is to commit the exercises to memory so u don't have to think about it anymore. that only comes from repetition, stretching/combining exercises, and drawing from memory.

He just switched to digital give him time... he pretty much having the same issue he been having in traditional that he need to be aware will also transfer to digital if he not careful.

My Sketchbook
Thanks for all the helpful information DESQUOLOR, I really appreciate it.

darktiste I actually returned my laptop back in June, and I haven't drawn anything digitally since then. I have started back drawing in my sketchbook and I thought about getting a drawing tablet a few weeks ago. But I've changed my mind again and decided to get better at drawing traditionally first before I move back to digital.
-----

Drawing ellipses in perspective is such a pain. They never look right to me for some reason.

I drew some random things in perspective. Then I did a few of the first exercises in the how to draw book. After that, I drew some more crappy doodles which then turned into learning how to draw alligators. 

I started off drawing the basic forms, but I got frustrated when trying to draw the more complex features. I used lots of photo refs but the shape of their heads can vary a lot. I couldn't really understand how their mouths are shaped, and where exactly do their eyes sit at on their heads. 

It was fun attempting to learn this stuff, but it was a lot more harder than I thought it would be.

Attached Files Image(s)