hello there!
First I would like to apologise for my wrong grammar because english is not my first language. I'm new here to this site and I'm a late bloomer artist which means I shift career and I choose this path to become artist. I was working in hospitality industry and at the same time I'm also was a full time musician for about almost 5 years but due to having a anxiety disorder and other health issues I have nothing left to offer for my family to help them that's why I become an artist not just because I have no choice the reason is I realized this is what i want to do in my whole life. I've been drawing since at the age of 5 but I didn't take it serious in highschool because I'm just considering it as a hobby but now I'm 30 years old now grinding to improve everything from fundamentals to finish illustrations that i want to make. I'm a huge fan of the artist like frank frazetta, jeff jones, boris vallejo, cynthia sheppard, brad rigney, kekkai kotaki and many other artist to mention. I'm looking forward to hangout with you guys in the future even though i'm trying to stay away in social media to focus more in improving my craft
Hey man, welcome to Crimson Daggers :).

Looking forward to sharing the art journey with you.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(02-06-2020, 10:13 PM)Artloader Wrote: Hey man, welcome to Crimson Daggers :).

Looking forward to sharing the art journey with you.
thank you very much
Hello. Welcome to Daggers!
Don't forget to create a Sketchbook so we can be with you through your art journey and try and help with feedback :)
Uy tol, welcome.

I used to have that same feeling of not having a choice and being resigned to destiny. That feeling of I couldn't get out of whatever that place life boxed me into. Probably one of the worse moment that made me realise that was family members took me into their business in because I was incompetent doing anything else haha! I was also doing "art" at that time, but I wasn't good enough that couldn't make money out of that either! I was around your age too. During my time with them, the pay wasn't good. But it wasn't that horrible compared to the effort I had to do when I was in the food industry when I was younger.

That was job was doing a lot of menial tasks: packing items, a lot of clerical work, doing warehouse inventory, moving said warehouse inventory. It came to that point where it terrified me knowing that I might do those same things for the rest of my life. 

What I'm trying to say is, you always have a choice. I'm a graphic designer now, doing a little bit better than what I did. Funny thing is, I got that by showing them an illustration portfolio. That happened just over a year ago.

In the back of my mind, there's always that choice of going back to manual labor. Not a great choice, but it still is one. Know that you always have something to offer. It's your choice on what that is.

(02-06-2020, 07:53 PM)geraldXalmighty Wrote: I'm looking forward to hangout with you guys in the future even though i'm trying to stay away in social media to focus more in improving my craft

If you're not yet familiar with this info and if you're from Manila: there's a comic convention on the 8-9th in Megamall called Komiket. In my experience, the artists in those kinds of conventions are approachable when it comes to asking about the craft. A lot of artists from a lot of different backgrounds too to broaden your perspective on how to tackle this art career you're trying to have. Some are in the comic book industry, I believe some are in the gaming industry (or at least software related).

Hope this gets to you in time. Good luck!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(02-07-2020, 10:32 PM)John Wrote: Uy tol, welcome.

I used to have that same feeling of not having a choice and being resigned to destiny. That feeling of I couldn't get out of whatever that place life boxed me into. Probably one of the worse moment that made me realise that was family members took me into their business in because I was incompetent doing anything else haha! I was also doing "art" at that time, but I wasn't good enough that couldn't make money out of that either! I was around your age too. During my time with them, the pay wasn't good. But it wasn't that horrible compared to the effort I had to do when I was in the food industry when I was younger.

That was job was doing a lot of menial tasks: packing items, a lot of clerical work, doing warehouse inventory, moving said warehouse inventory. It came to that point where it terrified me knowing that I might do those same things for the rest of my life. 

What I'm trying to say is, you always have a choice. I'm a graphic designer now, doing a little bit better than what I did. Funny thing is, I got that by showing them an illustration portfolio. That happened just over a year ago.

In the back of my mind, there's always that choice of going back to manual labor. Not a great choice, but it still is one. Know that you always have something to offer. It's your choice on what that is.

(02-06-2020, 07:53 PM)geraldXalmighty Wrote: I'm looking forward to hangout with you guys in the future even though i'm trying to stay away in social media to focus more in improving my craft

If you're not yet familiar with this info and if you're from Manila: there's a comic convention on the 8-9th in Megamall called Komiket. In my experience, the artists in those kinds of conventions are approachable when it comes to asking about the craft. A lot of artists from a lot of different backgrounds too to broaden your perspective on how to tackle this art career you're trying to have. Some are in the comic book industry, I believe some are in the gaming industry (or at least software related).

Hope this gets to you in time. Good luck!
Uy kababayan! Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately i did different things before but not any of them work for too long and i tried different kind of work first as a housekeeping attendant for half decade but not even promoted, I resigned and applied in different establishments but not even receiving any calls or email, become a barista for 3 months but not also absorbed to be regular, tried to become a business man for 9 months but not given a chance to take back my investment and so many excuses (yeah excuse sucks but sh*t happens)

Maybe I'm still in my discovery stage of what I really want to do in life and until become burnout and exhausted of finding different things and time and years are passing but yeah your right taking some other option while chasing your dream what you want to do at the same time can be helpful.

I'm living here in laguna which is manila is very far to travel from here but im keeping touch to the other artist here in the philippines. I'm also hoping to go in graphika manila but it's damn expensive
(02-07-2020, 05:07 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: Hello. Welcome to Daggers!
Don't forget to create a Sketchbook so we can be with you through your art journey and try and help with feedback :)
thank u man. Yeah I will. Thank you for telling