Tiago's Sketches
Hi everyone,

I'm Tiago, 33 years old and I got a notification that I last visited the forums at 01-09-2017, 04:55 PM, almost 3 years later, and at almost the same level, here I am.
Never posted anything, always interested in drawing all my life, never done much with my art, specially consistently.

I'm here to post my progress, I know that I suck, particularly if you think about how long I've been into art.
I work full time and don't have as much time as I would like, but ... I will, eventually, reach the best.
See you around!

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome back man. Don't beat yourself up over the time scale. The only thing I can say for sure is that it takes many years to get good, and that's with an ideal situation.

You've got the right idea with studying skulls, and you clearly pay close attention to things like facial feature placement. I wish I could give you a magic bullet for maximizing practice effectiveness, but I don't think there is one, haha. The most important thing is to get some sense of satisfaction from the act itself, however small.
Thanks man, yeah, I know better than many that it takes many years for a normal person to get good! ahah

I'ts really important to find the WHY'S early on your journey. No worries there, everyone is different.

There's no other path then to keep working hard (and smart)!!! :D
Hey man, welcome to the forum!

I empathize with you about not having enough time to do art, I work full time too and probably only get 30mins a day on average. One thing I'm trying to do is make sure I do some art every day - even if it is only for 2 minutes (sounds like a stupidly small length of time but it's very difficult to fail to do at least 2 minutes).

Nice start here with your sketchbook - I like how you're really thinking about 3D form in your drawing - I find it is one of the secret ingredients to making art. Have you seen Proko's figure drawing videos on YouTube? A great free resource that may give you a boost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgyQjNF...QmZJH4__Zv

Good luck and keep going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hi there just want to show you a nice thing you can do when your doing a drawing  it not gonna salvage a bad drawing but it can actually help get rid of imperfection to a certain extent.When you are done drawing your sketch try this go to filter/liquifiy gallery if you use photoshop once you see a window open you have a few option try them all and spend a good time learning what they can do for you play with the size of the brush also.With a bit of practice you won't necessarly have to redraw you simply re-use what you had created and perhaps redraw over the new result if you lost some of the information in the process.This is of course mostly only useful if you work on photoshop as i am not aware of other software who have this kind of feature.An other way if you don't have acess to the liquify tool is to use the selection tool and try to play around scaling a moving stuff around but it not as powerful in my opinion but it ultimately depend on what you became proficient at so play with the tool and get to know how to use them it just help you get faster to your goal.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(06-06-2020, 08:45 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey man, welcome to the forum!

I empathize with you about not having enough time to do art, I work full time too and probably only get 30mins a day on average.  One thing I'm trying to do is make sure I do some art every day - even if it is only for 2 minutes (sounds like a stupidly small length of time but it's very difficult to fail to do at least 2 minutes).

Nice start here with your sketchbook - I like how you're really thinking about 3D form in your drawing - I find it is one of the secret ingredients to making art.  Have you seen Proko's figure drawing videos on YouTube?  A great free resource that may give you a boost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgyQjNF...QmZJH4__Zv

Good luck and keep going!

Yeah, sometimes it's quite difficult to find time, but it's a matter of prioritizing!
I've seen them, they are great! thanks for mentioning.
I'm doing Marc Brunet's, Art School, at the moment!
(06-06-2020, 09:48 AM)darktiste Wrote: Hi there just want to show you a nice thing you can do when your doing a drawing  it not gonna salvage a bad drawing but it can actually help get rid of imperfection to a certain extent.When you are done drawing your sketch try this go to filter/liquifiy gallery if you use photoshop once you see a window open you have a few option try them all and spend a good time learning what they can do for you play with the size of the brush also.With a bit of practice you won't necessarly have to redraw you simply re-use what you had created and perhaps redraw over the new result if you lost some of the information in the process.This is of course mostly only useful if you work on photoshop as i am not aware of other software who have this kind of feature.An other way if you don't have acess to the liquify tool is to use the selection tool and try to play around scaling a moving stuff around but it not as powerful in my opinion but it ultimately depend on what you became proficient at so play with the tool and get to know how to use them it just help you get faster to your goal.

Thanks darktiste!
I know liquify, yes! But it's true that I try to avoid it for whatever reason :D
Procreate and artstudio pro, apps from the ipad, also have their version of liquify, and many more apps for sure.

The thing is that I'm approaching drawing in a way that I avoid "crutches" like liquify, erasing etc.

Cheers friend
I totally understand that people think using software are a detriment to there skill.For me personalty limiting yourself to not taking advantage of what software offer is a beginner error.There a balance to have.You should has many solution as you can to any given problem.It really all about what your trying to achieve.I know there school of thought that really discard most of what photoshop as to offer... but at the end of the day what count is to be able to deliever a piece to a client if we talk about art for a living.

Not erasing is a good practice to build confidence in line making.But did you know that you can actually use erasing as a technique to take away some value?You see working with limitation can also limit your problem solving solution.Of course it doesn't mean you can't just get good at value...my main point is be free to explore the tool you have some artist work with ruler some don't do is make one artist better than the other?It the line that tell us it not the tool.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.