trying to improve
hello daggers! i'm practicing a lot but i fell kind of stuck, looking for a critique or a paintover of my latest paintings, thanks in advance!

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome first of all.Now let get down to business.
It probabbly that you paint to much and doesn't sketch enough this make your rate of improvement much slower as you spend to much time developping and rendering piece that aren't addressing what you should be working on instead.One more thing is your brush stroke it also doesn't seem to be using the concept of brush economy or in simple term making every stroke count.
Simple advise to anyone starting here is to come back to the fundamental and show us were you stand.No paint for a while so that your fundamental can be evaluate by the rest of the community and you will be on a much better path toward a better rate of improvement.A balance of study and personal work is ideal because if you only do finish personal work you negelect the improvement part.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(07-29-2020, 10:36 PM)fede_gramajo Wrote: hello daggers! i'm practicing a lot but i fell kind of stuck, looking for a critique or a paintover of my latest paintings, thanks in advance!
Just a quick one cos i need to sleep..
but yeah you're doing good
For me personally I think having pieces going all the time of various degrees is best
I recommend having a few pieces you want to invest time and thought into pushing till they are as far as your skills can go, and if they fall short for you build your skills and finish them some more.
at the same time have some pieces that are an easier finish that maybe something like a portrait that you can reference but maybe you make it a bit fantastical so you have to bridge between various reference.
do some studies, aimed at where you want improvement, anatomy, faces, and so on.

what im saying is, study with purpose, if youre not sure what youre trying to improve at. find out
from the pieces you showed ill say what i think of them
quite capable
proportions not terrible but some anatomy and perspective could be worked out better.
feels like the aim and mood youre going for hasnt been worked out
a big lack of control over contrast in terms of value, saturation, shape design and size.

youve got a great base here
not you gotta decide some lighting and how youre going to lead the eye to start and flow the piece as you choose
its youre image. flesh it out but again, with purpose
probably part of where the lost feeling comes from. dont worry. i get you and im here to try help where
i would often just stare at the screen not knowing how to push it any more

light, find interesting shapes within the light and shadow that also describe the forms
more contrast of any kind is a way to guide the eye. for example. glow eyes against black.
youve got some different materials, look at that reference, strain your brain and figure out what sets them apart
. that reflective gold gonna reflect warm lght? that gem catch light?
hows the horn look as it connects to skin. fantasy moves good for that stuff.

what she doing? she surprised? she evil? she devious?
she in a room thats very similar colour to her and more saturated to compete with her for attention?
apologies for the ramble
tired, but i hope theres some useful direction in there.
can msg if you you have any questions on the struggles

be good 
[Image: de292eh-b1cac88a-4dbb-4581-a07c-d042e3cb...MHbFBgLUZE]
[Image: po_fede_2_by_andrew_gibbons_de292eb-pre....jtYlMyKaYE]

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(07-30-2020, 02:18 AM)darktiste Wrote: Welcome first of all.Now let get down to business.
It probabbly that you paint to much and doesn't sketch enough this make your rate of improvement much slower as you spend to much time developping and rendering piece that aren't addressing what you should be working on instead.One more thing is your brush stroke it also doesn't seem to be using the concept of brush economy or in simple term making every stroke count.
Simple advise to anyone starting here is to come back to the fundamental and show us were you stand.No paint for a while so that your fundamental can be evaluate by the rest of the community and you will be on a much better path toward a better rate of improvement.A balance of study and personal work is ideal because if you only do finish personal work you negelect the improvement part.
Thanks a lot! very much appreciated, so i can upload a sketchbook with my studies on fundamental here? that sounds nice!
(07-30-2020, 05:17 AM)xelfereht Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 10:36 PM)fede_gramajo Wrote: hello daggers! i'm practicing a lot but i fell kind of stuck, looking for a critique or a paintover of my latest paintings, thanks in advance!
Just a quick one cos i need to sleep..
but yeah you're doing good
For me personally I think having pieces going all the time of various degrees is best
I recommend having a few pieces you want to invest time and thought into pushing till they are as far as your skills can go, and if they fall short for you build your skills and finish them some more.
at the same time have some pieces that are an easier finish that maybe something like a portrait that you can reference but maybe you make it a bit fantastical so you have to bridge between various reference.
do some studies, aimed at where you want improvement, anatomy, faces, and so on.

what im saying is, study with purpose, if youre not sure what youre trying to improve at. find out
from the pieces you showed ill say what i think of them
quite capable
proportions not terrible but some anatomy and perspective could be worked out better.
feels like the aim and mood youre going for hasnt been worked out
a big lack of control over contrast in terms of value, saturation, shape design and size.

youve got a great base here
not you gotta decide some lighting and how youre going to lead the eye to start and flow the piece as you choose
its youre image. flesh it out but again, with purpose
probably part of where the lost feeling comes from. dont worry. i get you and im here to try help where
i would often just stare at the screen not knowing how to push it any more

light, find interesting shapes within the light and shadow that also describe the forms
more contrast of any kind is a way to guide the eye. for example. glow eyes against black.
youve got some different materials, look at that reference, strain your brain and figure out what sets them apart
. that reflective gold gonna reflect warm lght? that gem catch light?
hows the horn look as it connects to skin. fantasy moves good for that stuff.

what she doing? she surprised? she evil? she devious?
she in a room thats very similar colour to her and more saturated to compete with her for attention?
apologies for the ramble
tired, but i hope theres some useful direction in there.
can msg if you you have any questions on the struggles

be good 
[Image: de292eh-b1cac88a-4dbb-4581-a07c-d042e3cb...MHbFBgLUZE]
[Image: po_fede_2_by_andrew_gibbons_de292eb-pre....jtYlMyKaYE]

Thank you very much for the paintover! now i can see what i need to learn more and practice! you use your time in this so i will start practice the right way! thank you for your time! should i start like a sketchbook?
I heard a phrase in your reply to andrew i want to bring to your attention you using the phrase ''the right way'' i am not sure you can say there a right way but rather there an infinity of approch that you could qualified as being right.There is area of fundamental that you could use that term and be correct but there are thing that a more subjective to what your trying to communicate.

Let make a few example.For example perspective is a fundamental that if it is not done in the right way it just make everything look wrong unless of course you want it to look abstract.

The more you will draw the more you will learn there is no right or wrong way there is only the way you work everytime you put something down it right or wrong according to your intention.Of course there would be a right way if you try to emulate someone else so it can only be said that it the right way when your actually study someone else work in my opinion.For example right now he shown you an other version but it could have been done in alot of other way that would be as good as this so i think we can conclude that there is no right way only different approch.Of course there wrong approch that would be absurd not to think you can never be wrong but what i am trying to ultimately say is there not just one right way to do thing and i know you probaly already know so i am asking myself why i am telling you all this now but anyways it to your own benefice that i share this and make you aware of it if you are not.

The general rite of passage on crimson daggers i recommend for starting out a sketchbook is to go to https://drawabox.com/lesson/1
and work your way up throught the exercise to concolidate your fundamental.If your more experience it still as relevant and it shouldn't be over estimated even simple line and box exercise come a long way in teaching you important leasson.

My Sketchbook
(07-30-2020, 09:32 AM)darktiste Wrote: I heard a pharase in your reply to andrew i want to bring to your attention you use the phrase ''the right way'' i am not sure you can say there a right way but rather there an infinity of approch that you could qualified as being right.There is area of fundamental that you could use that term and be correct but there are thing that a more subjective to what your trying to communicate.

Let make a few example.For example perspective is a fundamental that if it is not done in the right way it just make everything look wrong unless of course you want it to look abstract.

The more you will draw the more you will learn there is no right or wrong way there is only the way you work everytime you put something done it right or wrong according to your intention.Of course there would be a right way if you try to emulate someone else so it can only be said that it the right way when your actually study someone else work in my opinion.For example right now he shown you an other version but it could have been done in alot of other way that would be as good as this so i think we can conclude that there is no right way only different approch.

Thanks you for your answer! and sorry i think  i wrote in the wrong way because i don't speak in english very good, but i understand what you are saying and i will do studies on fundamentals right now. Thank you, where can i post my studies en the forum?
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html
Click the button where it say  ''post tread''

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(07-30-2020, 10:11 AM)darktiste Wrote: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html
Click the button where it say  ''post tread''
thank you!