Fundementals Schedule?
So I'm making a spreadsheet for myself so schedule what I do each day and how long.  Everyday starts with a little fun then I dive into my studies.  I've got Perspective, Gesture, anatomy, form, values (with still life).  I'm varying it throughout the day/week to keep my attention. I'm shooting for starting with 2-3 hours of studies a day (is that a good time frame?).

Here's my question?  What subjects would you suggest? Did I miss any? Should I work on one more than others (probably depends on my work?)?  If you have a scheduled day what does yours look like?

(09-15-2020, 09:05 AM)mika_land Wrote: I'm shooting for starting with 2-3 hours of studies a day (is that a good time frame?).

Here's my question?  What subjects would you suggest? Did I miss any? Should I work on one more than others (probably depends on my work?)?  If you have a scheduled day what does yours look like?

I tried to schedule practice like that, too.
First of all: I think this is highly individual. It's like asking people "when should I go to the gym?" - depends on your type, your other everyday-tasks, your goals, your everything.

I can only tell you my experience.
scheduling so-and-so many hours of a study does not make so much sense.
Because sometimes you are totally into your study and you might want to continue, and on other days you might be finished with a study, but the hours have not passed - do you now doodle around 30 more minutes to fullfill the hour-requirements?

So my conclusion is either just do what fits your purposes at each time without a schedule,
or schedule what study you have to finish each day, but do not schedule it in a "so-and-so-many-hours"-way.

If you do this as an hobby time limit are much more an option than a rule.They serve as deadline to push your skill further to challenge yourself.

When you start to block up your time and aim not to be distracted that when i consider you want to be professional because you actually make sacrifice to have that time frame free of as many distraction as possible and this way of work is also meant to help you be able to push for longer project even when the motivation fade away.

So in conclusion a shedule as to be personalize and also as to reflect what your goal with your art are.Of course it make sense to be consistent every day if you want your skill not to go down hill.But it doesn't necessarly mean you have rigid hour for example if your aim is 2 or 3 hour per day you can split it into smaller chunck i think the idea is at first to want to construct your shedule with flexibility toward and then go toward rigidity and serious big chunk of hour.

It hard to give example because we don't know what are your intention down the line.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
@graphicnovelist:

I can totally understand what you mean, especially the mention of I may want more time on things when I zone out.  I like the idea of more of a list of things to do.  But sometimes i need a kick in the butt to keep going or being done or even so frustrated I need a few minutes away (I know you didn't say that but it has arrisen with me).

@darktiste:

I'm hoping to start in a year or two as a professional Freelance Illustrator/concept artist (not sure which yet)( and on the side work on my web comic idea).  If I have to I'll take longer.  Due to my willingness to be professional I want some structure to keep me going even when I'm burnt out.  To start I've been drawing everyday to get the routine going, for about a week so far.  I'm planning to add more time drawing everyday, over the next few months (on top of routine physical exercise, which changes the time depending on weather).

I hear both you and graphicnovelist though, I'm thinking now not too rigid, but rigid enough to keep me locked in.  For instance a list. I also saw a example on this site for "movtivation"  The artist had times and also rigid types of studies at time BUT also had choices of how to study differently everyday. I'm thinking a little looser but something like this: https://crimsondaggersforever.wordpress....-schedule/

I think your biggest trap to avoid is thinking your someone else and that what they do or how they do it apply to you.It not that simple.

What work for one doesn't necessarly work for someone else but i hope you know that already.

Just to make it clear what we all have in common as artist is the necessity of understanding the fundamental of were craft as something that isn't optional but as it said in the word fundamental because a good amount of them are necessary for the result we want to achieve.The fundamental are all essential if your aim is realism but you have probably notice there not all essential to every artist.For example an artist can chose to ignore color for example and only do black and grey but those choose limit the type of art work he will be able to produce.An artist can decide to throw out perspective out the window but is work will mostly likely end up looking flat.What i am trying to say is everyone as there own intention and they put there egg in certain fundamental because at the end of the day you have to choose what you want to communicate and how you communicate it.So try to think about what fundamental you want to improve and than maybe worry about how to go about it.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(09-15-2020, 02:28 PM)darktiste Wrote: I think your biggest trap to avoid is thinking your someone else and that what they do or how they do it apply to you.It not that simple.

What work for one doesn't necessarly work for someone else but i hope you know that already.

Just to make it clear what we all have in common as artist is the necessity of understanding the fundamental of were craft as something that isn't optional but as it said in the word fundamental because a good amount of them are necessary for the result we want to achieve.The fundamental are all essential if your aim is realism but you have probably notice there not all essential to every artist.For example an artist can chose to ignore color for example and only do black and grey but those choose limit the type of art work he will be able to produce.An artist can decide to throw out perspective out the window but is work will mostly likely end up looking flat.What i am trying to say is everyone as there own intention and they put there egg in certain fundamental because at the end of the day you have to choose what you want to communicate and how you communicate it.So try to think about what fundamental you want to improve and than maybe worry about how to go about it.
Wise words.

You got me starting to really wonder what my true end goal is....  it is fuzzy.  I'll do some thinking about where I want to end up.  If I can't find a full answer I'll look for traits that overlap with the couple ideas in my head. I'll do some research in the fields I'm interested in and see what the artists I inspire to be like learned.

Thanks for your help.