Jones Sketchbook
artenr - Thanks Man :)

---

Recent stuff, Mostly just drawing traditionally lately. It's kind of a nice change of pace.
Been working on my proportions, I'm noticing things improving a bit, Also really trying to loosen up, You can really tell the difference between stiff anatomy drawings and ones that flow nicely.

I've also been slacking for the most part the past week or so -.-

Anyway Happy New Year everyone, hope you have a good time.

ughh those proportions

First self portrait using photo reference, Going to try the next with a mirror

Trying to use as little pencil strokes I can on this one

Studies, trying to see how weight is carried

Imagination junk

Some Anatomy Studies
i have seen your recent studies on facebook, glad to see you are working hard!
your imagination stuff is getting better and better, those loomis studies are paying off it seems.
And happy 2013

Much improvement!

Hey thanks guys.

I'm pretty excited for this year, going to try and really push my skill and get comfortable with my fundamentals, ordered few books to help out with that too, James Gurney color and light and perspective made easy.

Here's some recent studies and stuff, still a lot of greyscale but I'm trying to increase my understanding of values. Got to work back into my schedule, their will be a lot more work getting done once I get back into it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Bit of an update, been learning a lot the past few days, about what works for me. Narrowed down the brushes I use which is only a few now. It's nice with a lot less clutter.

I want to ask you guy's about my progress, I don't want to specialize too much because I'm into all kinds of things but I love character and creature art/concepts, and I'm trying to work my way towards that. I'm curious if you guys have any recommendations or suggestions about my current path and what I should really be focusing on/working on to improve at these subjects

I have a lot of free time right now, but that will likely change soon, I'm going to need to find myself a job (going to try and find a part-time job so I still have a good amount of time for art)

I don't like this at all but posting it anyway

figure studies, bottom is imagination

Imagination stuff, trying to work bit softer

1 minute gestures trying to get better with my digital linework

started this in greyscale and then used color mode to lay in colors, worked on it a bit longer but was having too many issues with it.

torso studies

Imagination guy, applying what I've been learning

Getting so much better sense the last time I checked in here! Keep pounding out those studies!
Thanks Man, will do

---

Spent a few hours on this

About an hour, trying out color. using overlay, and color modes to add on top of a greyscale painting

I've been reading through my book's I got, already learning a lot about color and perspective. Now just to start putting some of this to use soon.

Keep at it. You're improving!

Available for Freelance - Portfolio | CD Sketchbook | Blog | Email
Thanks Zesiul

--

Little bit of an update

2 hour something still life colors study

quick studies old and new I try to mix in an equal amount of reference'd and imagination drawings

sketching around to mess about with using color mode a bit

Some stuff

Been studying a lot of anatomy, mostly on paper. I didn't bother taking pictures of most accept some recent ones that were decent. I'm enjoying more fluidity with finding my weakness's and tackling them. I'll draw a few figures from imagination and see what looks wrong and then study those specific things and try some more from imagination.

Also been trying some character sketches from imagination. I've got to definitely study functionality of armor, and study clothing/drapery.

Suggestions are more then welcome.

the ones with the hatching around them are from imagination, the ones without are figures from reference

Been sick this past week, but here's some of the stuff I did in between sleeping lol.
Just studying mixed with ones from imagination, Got some character sketch pages but I forgot to take pictures.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more stuff, the usual anatomy studies. Some Value/skin tone studies thrown in there to, and an hour -2 hour imagination character tryin out skin tones and anatomy with a too many issues D: gonna try and fix it up tonight and correct some of those problems.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow you really work a lot :D I really like those Skin tone Studies (in my oppinion the first one puts the color in a nutshell) Keep up the good work!
Thanks Reed, I try to get a lot of work in, although I could do a lot better.

Was having computer problems this past week, tried taking this thing apart and fixing it a few times. but only worked temporarily. In the end it turned out my hard drive was failing. I was so lucky to have gotten an external hard drive encloser (had a spare laptop hd sitting around) a week before the issues started and backed up all my stuff Angel Would have been horrible to lose all my learning resources I've got saved.

Lost a few paintings/sketches but it's all cool, bought a new HD and I'm back up and running.

Anyway here's some things.

Rest is just anatomy stuff, and experimenting with ways of quickly setting up the torso/body.

Also remember to back up your stuff guys!

[attachment=14061]

looks like you are in the right track, just keep working hard mate! :)

Thanks for the comment Eduardo :)

Some new stuff. Really enjoyed drawing the Alien Sketch, just worked on being more loose and confident. I really dislike the actual painting though, It screams digital & Amateur to me. I think I know what to work on though.

Also a torso study, started from greyscale, basically wanted to work on my lighting/highlights. The edges look a bit sloppy, I need to get into a habit of fixing them up before I finish. Spent a bit more time overall and I'm happy with the outcome especially that thumbnail :D

This was so much fun to paint! Said screw blending, just wanted to try out something really loose.

Attached Files Image(s)

Working really hard man, what I would say is that the faces from imagination are really flat maybe work on structure or lighting more. Anyway keep up the hard work it is really paying off :D

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
Really enjoy watching your progress man! Youre really beginning to improve fast, can see all that hard work paying off, keep it up!

Miles - Thank's Miles, yeah I see that to now, Got to work on my construction and lighting.

JonHop - Thanks Jon! I'm glad It's enjoyable to watch :)

----------

Decided its time for an update, been getting my ass kicked lately. Gotten into some Bridgeman studies, I like the methods of construction in his figure drawing book. a bit of an ugly update.

With the cowboy guys I only spent about 30 minutes each to figure out what I was having issues with. Decided to spend most the day working on clothing folds and studying clothing/drapery in art I like (a life study to). Started out pretty rough but I started getting the hang of it...sort of.

The first 5 or so photos of anatomy studies are from a bit ago, Wasn't using much construction. The bridgeman studies have enlightened me to the usefulness of construction and setting up poses

On another note I need to finish more stuff, spend at least a few hours on characters or whatever I'm gonna do. I tend to start things with good intentions but retire them in under an hour, Usually it seems it's because I don't understand/know how to render certain things out. (clothing/drapery folds for example) More variation in studies might do me good, I tend to mostly do anatomy studies.

Anyway...Lot's to do in the ongoing battle :) . as always suggestions are more then welcome.

Attached Files Image(s)