Sketchbook of the S4MURAI
Well..yeah..figures.My goal was to learn how to draw a basic figure,so that i can learn and apply anatomy on top of basic forms. The difficult thing was to gather information on how other artist simplify bones and muscles into a simple shape.Also, it was a really time consuming thing..But, finally i am able to draw a figure! Even if it's a simple one. I will draw a few figures more just to remember what i have learned so far.I have included my studies and the final image is the result i have achieved.  023

Attached Files Image(s)

The Way Of The S4MURAI  (sketchbook)
Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

(04-29-2016, 06:29 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

Thanks,Piotr! You are right! By observing the form you are training your mind to see and understand how it works from any angle.And it is a really useful skill to obtain. But today,in 2016, is it really important anymore? Now we have lots of 3d programs that doing all this stuff for us. Even combined creatures can be done by any 3d program and placed wherever you wish.After you can either color it straight away,trace or mindlessly copy it.So learning how to copy isn't really a bad idea anymore, i guess..

(04-29-2016, 10:23 PM)S4MURAI_CAT Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 06:29 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

Thanks,Piotr! You are right! By observing the form you are training your mind to see and understand how it works from any angle.And it is a really useful skill to obtain. But today,in 2016, is it really important anymore? Now we have lots of 3d programs that doing all this stuff for us. Even combined creatures can be done by any 3d program and placed wherever you wish.After,you can either color it straight away,trace or mindlessly copy it.So learning how to copy isn't really a bad idea anymore, i guess..

Well I guess it depends on what your goal is. 3d will never beat a skillful artist who can do an interesting pose from his head. And drawing will be essential for comics for many years to come, it's just faster and more appealing to look at (unless it's done but a not so skilled artist).

But you are right 3D is taking more and more of what used to be reserved for 2D.

OK! Did some form practice what i have learned recently. But still need to figure out some nuances before i can move forward.

Attached Files Image(s)

Awesome studies, and great thet you apply them right away! I'm sure that this kind of practice is extremely useful despite 3d programs capacities and totally agree with Piotr. Proko's simplification method is great btw, I tried Loomis' mannequin with simplified muscles today but it's still too hard for me without drawing basic shapes first, so I'll stick to the same method that you use.

(05-06-2016, 08:20 AM)neopatogen Wrote: Awesome studies, and great thet you apply them right away! I'm sure that this kind of practice is extremely useful despite 3d programs capacities and totally agree with Piotr. Proko's simplification method is great btw, I tried Loomis' mannequin with simplified muscles today but it's still too hard for me without drawing basic shapes first, so I'll stick to the same method that you use.

Oh yeah,this method is really easy to follow and you can quickly grasp the main idea of how to draw a body without serious knowledge of anatomy and stuff. I would recommend to you to check Stan Lee- How to draw comics the marvel way and Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life. They are both using simple shapes method to draw a body!

Butts  Th_099_

Attached Files Image(s)

Long time no see !

I had to abandon the lovely Crimson Daggers forum a little because of a number of small problems and responsibilities. But now, hey, I'm BACK baby! All this time I have not abandoned drawing... Honestly !  ;p

Of course, I didn’t devote as much to drawing as I would like, but still...Aaand my English didn't become any better...Well, it is time to improve myself ! No time to waste !

First things first, I'll put some "clean" sketches. Just to show, that I was drawing for 7 years !

Just joking... I really like anime style but those anime EYES are driving me crazy ! They seem to be so simple to draw that shouldn't be any problems. And as soon as you start drawing them, all sorts of nonsense comes out. So, if you don't know how it works, then deconstruct and reconstruct it, create and experiment ! Which i did. A little..

By the way, speaking of deconstruction and reconstruction. I took the same pose and did 2 drawings. In slightly different styles. I am learning how to draw portraits. And important task for me is to learn how to manipulate with shapes.

First, I simplified the "classic" head shape in order to understand what to pay attention to. And did a note for myself what to remember.

Then I drew this :

After, I took the same shape, but changed the proportions :

Here  some notes:

Oh! And if you are interested how I drew hair or simplified other stuff, you can download a TIF/PSD file from my PATREON page. It's completely free !

Everything is drawn on different layers. So it will be comfortably for you to see everything for yourself.

Note to self: Never draw blue butts or you'll go on a seven year hiatus.

But you broke the spell and cracked the magic manga morphing formula. I'll try manga eyes, for science.

Welcome back!