bagenew's sketchbook
Pointing out the obvious, but damn, you have a very structured approach to learning! Don't forget about experimentation. There only so much you can be taught by books.

(03-01-2017, 10:28 PM)Lodratio Wrote: Pointing out the obvious, but damn, you have a very structured approach to learning! Don't forget about experimentation. There only so much you can be taught by books.

Thanks for reminding me that~
When the second book is done,I think I will turn to a more free-style learning path.
But the first two---on drawing and rendering,I won't overlook'em since they're very very basic,fundamental and they'll help a lot for my free exploration. 
Of course I wont think I learn these things only through reading the book,and copying some example drawings.
And when I turn to a more practice-based learning path,I think I will update more frequently than what I do now... 
Anyway,3ks for the advice.
The most important theoretical part is over.
Think I can switch to a practice-biased learning path,although there're still a lot of theoretical stuff to learn.
I'll take a 2 day break,and do a lot of practice,maybe update more frequently from then on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Like I said,more on practice now.
Today is value,from a movie snap,an actor I like.[3h40m]
I tried to recreate those complex forms as more simpler forms,like Sergey Kolesov did,not an easy job,but will be better~

Attached Files Image(s)

About 3days for a study from Krenz,who I think has a good understanding of the human form,also an art teacher who can explain well how he makes it.
Watching through the lectures and do some copy researches.Some free doodles too.

Attached Files Image(s)

O.O you're crazy #43 thats a lot of theory :).  krenz is great but this stuff is really hard Wisecracker however is the path to freedom.

Keep going. ^^

Attached Files Image(s)

'The best way to have a good ideas is to have a lot of ideas ' Linus Paulingth
(03-23-2017, 06:56 AM)Abnormal Wrote: O.O you're crazy #43 thats a lot of theory :).  krenz is great but this stuff is really hard Wisecracker however is the path to freedom.

Keep going. ^^

Apology for the axis-like marks in the cube head part,it's not sth. strictly accurate about the X-Y-Z system,just a relative angle I used to emphasize his experience method.
It's simple when I wrote it down,the up[+]Ndown[-] rotation is X,leftNright[+] rotation is Y.So first one is:22.5/0 and so on.
What Krenz offered is his experience method,I explain it on the pictures.
Hope it will be helpful to you in some way,you so careful on this,I don't wanna make you cofused about this.
3ks for the attention and words,I'll keep going then: )

Attached Files Image(s)

继续努力!多画速写!

(03-23-2017, 09:09 PM)AChi Wrote: 继续努力!多画速写!

共勉 =)
It's another 3 days,I made a full revision of what I've learned and practiced so far.
Checking the pictures I've drawn and rendered before,checking the notes from books,lectures I've learned.
I was planning to make it in a single day,but in fact it took me 3 days,so I had to hold back my eagerness to just draw whatever.The good side of this fact is:I was not doing nothing in the past few years.
And the main purpose to do this is to have a guideline for the future learning and practicing,mainly about practicing.

It's still vague,not so clear,and of course nothing like"you do this,and you will be good at that".But I do get some information now to start,maybe I will find out more on the way,about how to get better.

Just words,no physical works.Shame~
May the force be with me.
(03-23-2017, 08:37 PM)bagenew Wrote:
(03-23-2017, 06:56 AM)Abnormal Wrote: O.O you're crazy #43 thats a lot of theory :).  krenz is great but this stuff is really hard Wisecracker however is the path to freedom.

Keep going. ^^

Apology for the axis-like marks in the cube head part,it's not sth. strictly accurate about the X-Y-Z system,just a relative angle I used to emphasize his experience method.
It's simple when I wrote it down,the up[+]Ndown[-] rotation is X,leftNright[+] rotation is Y.So first one is:22.5/0 and so on.
What Krenz offered is his experience method,I explain it on the pictures.
Hope it will be helpful to you in some way,you so careful on this,I don't wanna make you cofused about this.
3ks for the attention and words,I'll keep going then: )
Oh!!! ok now that makes sense, yeah !! I was already wondering where I got lost lol. ^^

'The best way to have a good ideas is to have a lot of ideas ' Linus Paulingth
I called this a Lv.1 quest,took me almost 20 days to finish.
Including different tasks on enhancing the drawing and rendering skills.
Contents:
// daily warming up,drawing lines,cubes,ellipses.
// using maya to build ellipses of different degree as reference,also cubes with rotation,and using different focal length.
// Proko's anatomy vids,which took me an extra 5 days to finish the assignments within them.
// construction drawing on photos of scupture/model-10p.
// black/white basic geometry rendering from imagination.
// photo study on basic geometries,analyzing and rendering,taken by myself.
// same movie snap with a different way to do the value work-1p.
// A study of Jakub Rozalski,mainly on his using of value and composition-22p.
// Drawing the BMW-Isetta-5p.
// Study of <Framed Ink>-30p,the first 2 chapters.

And Lv.2 quest is already set up,with the experience of lv.1,I made a short list so I can finish it with fewer days..........maybe.
May the force be with me.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's been 50 days since my last post.
Too long for an update.
My Lv.2 quest should be cleared much earlier.

I didn't do well in May,a quarter of which for part-time business,but the rest totally wasted.
I don't want my June like that,so I'm thinking about a more frequent update habbit,just for keeping my focus on that very important thing-practice.

Well,let the action speaks.

And the Lv.2 list:
// Study and copy of Yoh Yoshinari
// Revision of Scott's book H2RE,C1-C3
// Study and copy of Glenn Keane
// cube renderand study
// proko's vids on rib cage and shoulder belt,with assignment
// sphere render and study
// Framed Ink read,C3
// doodle for original idea(WIP)

Attached Files Image(s)

Now I try to update every 10 hours - means hours put into real practice.
// Drawing parctice on paper,copied some old Capcom arcade fighting games' illustration,just love them.
// Rendering practice in PS.copied Jparked's concept work on the movie maze.I chose them because I was focusing on using basic box volumes to build a scenario,this would be a good start point.

Attached Files Image(s)

another 10 hours,still working on Capcom,Jparked.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-19-2017, 06:37 PM)bagenew Wrote: another 10 hours,still working on Capcom,Jparked.
You are doing very nice. I astonished by your determination and the way you approach to work. I wish to see more of your studies. Moreover, i want to follow along your blog/=. Keep it up ! Bomb
(06-20-2017, 01:39 AM)UKRAINIANWOLF97 Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 06:37 PM)bagenew Wrote: another 10 hours,still working on Capcom,Jparked.
You are doing very nice. I astonished by your determination and the way you approach to work. I wish to see more of your studies. Moreover, i want to follow along your blog/=. Keep it up ! Bomb

thank you for the encouragement my friend.let's all work hard to get better Sun

another 10 hours,less pieces since i spent some time on theoratical stuff.Still on Capcom and Jparked.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's more than 10 hours' work since I reached 10hr at the beginning of the day and uploaded when the day finished.
// keeping on Capcom study,now are my favorite street fighter characters.
Now I use both ballpoint pen and tablet,but try to follow the same method.
// finishing the Jparked concept work on maze movie,do one more of the game destiny concept,and other study.
All focus on environment using only boxes.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, so many sheets of theory forreal? I saw some drawings on your pile of paper photo, surely you drew a bit huh? I personally find it more efficient to apply quite soon after learning to remember stuff better. But love theory too much >< Thumbs up for Scott Robertson and Proko and all the construction work! And cool caracter on the last character sheet, on the right. Let's get better :)

(06-26-2017, 05:44 AM)neopatogen Wrote: Wow, so many sheets of theory forreal? I saw some drawings on your pile of paper photo, surely you drew a bit huh?  I personally find it more efficient to apply quite soon after learning to remember stuff better.  But love theory too much >< Thumbs up for Scott Robertson and Proko and all the construction work! And cool caracter on the last character sheet, on the right. Let's get better :)

It's really hard for me to balance the theory and practice works,since I have to manage what to learn and what to practice all by myself.But I set a breakpoint for the theory stuff,after finishing reading the rest of the materials,I may put 99% of the energy into practice.

Another10 hr,still copying Capcom,refine the edge quality of rendering,still wip.

Attached Files Image(s)