Darktiste Sketchbook
Hey Darkiste, I think your studies are going in a good direction. Espescially since you want to be a creature designer, knowing planes and anatomy in depth like this can be extremely beneficial, and I think your studies reflect on just how much you want to understand what you draw.

Don't lose sight of why you're doing this, though! Always, always be creating from your imagination. That is how you memorize your studies- it's like learning a language You can study out of a book forever, but unless you start generating that language from your own mind and using what you've learned, you'll never truly learn it- or maybe you will, but in that case it would be much lless of an efficient way to digest your information.

Whenever I finish a piece, I understand my studies clearer, and the material I copied or referenced can suddenly just click. The best way to learn is to do, and to invent. Practice how you want to play! (I should take my own advice lol, I'd be a much better artist if I did)

I want to see you make some pieces from your mind and apply the recent planar studies. The thing these really help with is lighting- I think you should try that. Maybe a grayscale image, you don't have to do aany fancy designs or huge environments, like the ones you were studying- keep it simple, and then work up whemn you feel comfortable in doing so. Don't make it too easy on yourself, though, because if it's difficult, it means you're learning. Thumbs_up

Sketchbook (updated daily) https://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8600.html

discord: Beau#4149

1. Use the biggest brush possible for a given passage.
2. Paint large shapes first, followed by small shapes.
3. Save your tonal and chromatic accents until the last.
4. Try to soften any edge that doesn’t need to be sharp.
5. Take time to get the center of interest right.

Or, the briefer version: (B.L.A.S.T.)
Big brushes.
Large to small.
Accents last.
Soften edges.
Take your time. 

(James Gurney)
(02-14-2019, 07:49 AM)beau Wrote: Hey Darkiste, I think your studies are going in a good direction. Espescially since you want to be a creature designer, knowing planes and anatomy in depth like this can be extremely beneficial, and I think your studies reflect on just how much you want to understand what you draw.

Don't lose sight of why you're doing this, though! Always, always be creating from your imagination. That is how you memorize your studies- it's like learning a language You can study out of a book forever, but unless you start generating that language from your own mind and using what you've learned, you'll never truly learn it- or maybe you will, but in that case it would be much lless of an efficient way to digest your information.

Whenever I finish a piece, I understand my studies clearer, and the material I copied or referenced can suddenly just click. The best way to learn is to do, and to invent. Practice how you want to play! (I should take my own advice lol, I'd be a much better artist if I did)

I want to see you make some pieces from your mind and apply the recent planar studies. The thing these really help with is lighting- I think you should try that. Maybe a grayscale image, you don't have to do aany fancy designs or huge environments, like the ones you were studying- keep it simple, and then work up whemn you feel comfortable in doing so. Don't make it too easy on yourself, though, because if it's difficult, it means you're learning. Thumbs_up
In my upcoming study i will be doing some turn around and gesture.My biggest problem is that i should think less 2d and think more 3d and this mean investing more time into perspective study.I know i can put basic shape into perspective but it can be hard to keep track of perspective with more complex form.What is sad is that doing simple 3d form is such a valuable exercise but it sure is a boring one.The rest is just a question of adding more shape to the form.Perspective is not that hard it more tedious than anything.Since your alway have to relate everything to the vanish point.It just a question of pushing aside the incomfort like lifting weight it tedious at first but than i will be able to find it more enjoyable as i progress.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Quick fold study and Metal study

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
hey darktiste looking at your sketchbook (well the the last 4-5 pages) Im really not sure what direction you are heading at.... 2d/3d/char/enviro/designer or just being a teacher?

you definitely have a lot of knowledge and give good as well as some harsh critique at times.... but that all means squat if you dont do the work yourself.... unless being a artist/designer isnt your endgame?

all I can say is post more studies, flaws and all.... put that knowledge you have into action... stop procrastinating and just start posting more.... we are mostly all in the same boat here
Yea i am mostly lazy when it come to posting study since i do them on paper i don't enjoy the scanning and numerizing process.When i do digital study i try to post them.To be honest i want to work in small video game studio so i though it would be a good idea to touch abit of everything also it good to find what you truely appreciate i though what i enjoy was creature design at first but i found interest in weapon and costume design also.My ''procrastination'' as you call it is spending time to figure out my next destination by creating a road map.Alot of the people on this forum prefer to be guided by the critism they recieve i simply think i should have my own goal so that i don't get lost in the cristism of other.

Thank for the harsh critism friend.More fold study and material study are on there way.

My Sketchbook
hey mate dont mean to be harsh or anything just want to see you grow and use that knowledge you have and share...

to be honest I bounce around to much, one minute it enviros then character and then I get stuck on what to study and go back to doodling.... but my main goal this year is to get better with characters so I'll slowly be pushing that

anyway will be good to see more studies keep them coming
More surface study.It would help me if you would take a guess to as what are the texture so i can see if i am on the money or if i need to polish my texturing skill.Quick note white background really does flatten the spheric illusion.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste, thanks for stopping by sketchbook and leaving feedback. I just went through your whole sketchbook and I'm really inspired by the improvements you've made so far. Keep up the good work!
(02-21-2019, 02:42 PM)leo_7 Wrote: Hey darktiste, thanks for stopping by sketchbook and leaving feedback. I just went through your whole sketchbook and I'm really inspired by the improvements you've made so far. Keep up the good work!

Thank for the kind word it stuff like this that keep me going.

My Sketchbook
Heart 
I've lurked and watched you provide endless amounts of crits to people here the last few months or more since you stopped updating your sb.  Good job on being so helpful, I'm sure it's appreciated, love your community spirit!

Here's the issue that I think Slash was likely referring to really.  Some of the critique you give sounds good. I even find myself agreeing with much of it and then you say something that is so far off base I don't know what to think. So I'm going to go further and say your knowldge appears to not be backed up by much evidence of it being applied to your own practice well. I think the way you are doing studies is often quite schizophrenic in many ways as if you think you should, therefore you do without knowing really the priority of what to focus on. Yes you have improved since 2013...great! That was a long time ago.

You say you do a lot of trad work behind the scenes. Let's see it.  You don't have to scan drawings, just take photos, easy peasy.

I know I don't mince my words so it may sound harsh, but dude, consider easing up on giving critique especially if about stuff you really don't have a good grasp on yet. I have seen many occasions of this being the case.
I understand that teaching is a good way to test one's understanding and arrange concepts clearer in your mind. It is a good way to learn, but too much of this is counterproductive when you overreach. Dunning Kruger is a real effect.

Imo you should focus on your own work and trying to get actual quality feedback yourself and more importantly, Listen to it. Beginners don't self evaluate well. You seem to be in this category.

Here's a challenge:  Do a drawing. Any drawing of whatever you want that isn't a 'study'. Use ref if you like to help you, but don't do a direct copy of anything entirely. It could be a creature or character or whatever it is you say you want to do. Do it in pencil or pen. Colour is not important at this stage. 

Let's get real about your actual fundamental abillities and really see where they are at. Are you up for it?

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Fair enough i give alot of critic i admit.Fair enough i don't show much of my traditional work.I know my advice are not the best but there barely any critic on the forum if i don't give my 2 cent i know there people more qualify to doing the job than me but i know i am learning from giving them to people myself i specially like when you come and correct me when being wrong.I never want to lead people into the wrong direction.

What i realize truely to day is that people will alway ask you to prove yourself because to them the''money''(truth of what i say can be found only in the thing i do myself)because there not inside my head or with me on a daily basis to check if i can back what i say.

What i know is sometime my knowledge is not matching with what i can do but it doesn't mean i am wrong all the time or never wrong.

We are here to correct other when there wrong or when i am wrong.

I don't feel like it a good idea to accept your challenge since i know the outcome will be surely that you will critize it heavly nothing wrong about that.But i think i see your point already.

I don't think i need to be perfect to give advice.

A critic as it own value that is separated from what an artist can do in my opinion.But it even more valuable when you can back it with actual work that showcase those critic to be of value.

I am work on being an inspiration for other in an other way then giving critic as much as i can instead.

My Sketchbook
It's for your own learning not for me to bash you for my own amusement. I used to be paid to mentor people for a few years. I'm not saying i know it all at all. So far from it. i really don't have to do this.
Others have also given you the exact same feedback above. What about them? Ignored?

If you are that scared i promise I won't even comment on it XD

I think it good you come and back them up it just give them even more weight if there someone we can all respect here it you.

My Sketchbook
Heh nah mate all good...I'm nobody. :) I really just wanna help and break through the mental patterns that i can recognise in people having seen so much and gone through a lot myself.
I just want to help people to be their best and struggle less :)

Don't stop critting. please do what you want. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm gonna take myself off the forum i think and you don't have to do the challenge of course! In the end we all learn one way or the other! Sorry if i came across as aggressive. At this point i have repeated myself so many times over the years i tend to be more abrupt sounding than i mean to be and there is no need for it.

You're awesome keep doing your thing!

Quote:We are here to correct other when there wrong or when i am wrong.

I think this started as a silly "work hard, stop being a loser" forum. I don't think it was ever about proving yourself being right. Unless that's the game you want to play.

Quote:I don't think i need to be perfect to give advice.

Me too. The only thing worse than that is when the person who's giving the advice doesn't believe in them enough to prove that they work in his own pieces.

Quote:I am work on being an inspiration for other in an other way then giving critic as much as i can instead.

This line seems like you put more effort in building your ego than the actual craft itself. People don't send out lifeguards who can't swim to save others who can't swim themselves. Because, chances are, you're going to do more harm than good.

---

I hope you know that I'm saying all of this with love. I believe you came here aspiring to have some expertise in a certain field, be it character design, weapons, or whatever. Maybe it's time to go back to earning that respect and credibility you set yourself to go get in the first place.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
I guess critism can end up hurting your own credibility i never really though of that.I though people could judge those critic for what they were but i guess for more advance artist it alot more important to back the word with the craft.Since a begginner would trust pretty much any feed back but a more skilled artist might not agree with some of the critism i give.

I understand your metaphore but i am not there to save people with my critism i am barely throwning them a safety vest.It mostly what they do with that critism that matter.If they don't cross examine with other source what i say as being truth they mostly only have themselve to blame.

I never though i would have such allow level of credibility since i don't tend to find people disagree that much with what i say.But maybe i am just just blind.

I guess you cannot just build a crediblity with ''good'' critism it not enough.

One thing is sure people want to put me to the test and that only for the better.Like a sword beaten over a fire i will come out sharpen than ever.

My Sketchbook
Finally numerized my drawing.Wrinkle study.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Part 2

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Cool stuff, but i don't see you applying it to personal pieces, why?

(03-01-2019, 06:52 PM)Hobitt Wrote: Cool stuff, but i don't see you applying it to personal pieces, why?

I am currently in the theoric and study part of a costume&weapon design course.This will lead toward personal piece later on.

My Sketchbook