PLAYTIME W/ JAKTRAYTER
Hey dude,

I like how you keep hitting man :) Inspirational stuff! Keep posting :)

Slow down and read the marks you're making, if they don't help the volume read right, try editing it abit :)

Bad sketches, main hand studies, and Assignment #2 from sickbrush's class (http://www.sickbrush.blogspot.com/ and http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1408.html)

(03-13-2013, 12:39 AM)anzhou Wrote: Hey dude,

I like how you keep hitting man :) Inspirational stuff! Keep posting :)

Slow down and read the marks you're making, if they don't help the volume read right, try editing it abit :)

Thank you so much man! Heck, yeah I gotta put on the brakes and take my time and LOOK. Something very important that I need to make sure of.

Thanks a lot dude!

Attached Files Image(s)

You're dedication and hard work is really impressive; you've given me a kick up the arse to work harder:). Just be careful not to burnout. Sometimes you need to take a step back to let things sink in and evaluate where you're at. Keep up the good work.

Love you're determination dude, you just keep on busting these things out like crazy. At this point just keep on practicing but if you feel fatigue slow down. Doodle some "from my imagination" stuff. Even if you're not happy with how it looks like (yet), make sure you do some personal stuff for the fun of it. Cartoony sketches, silly doodles, tag ideas, anything .... even if it's absent minded scribbles just make sure it's fun and does not feel like a task. That balance is important I find. Keep it up though :)

cheers !
(03-13-2013, 05:51 AM)Ignatz Wrote: You're dedication and hard work is really impressive; you've given me a kick up the arse to work harder:). Just be careful not to burnout. Sometimes you need to take a step back to let things sink in and evaluate where you're at. Keep up the good work.

Thank you thank you thank you! Never thought that anyone would be feeling motivated by MY sketchbook...kind of uncanny man, thanks a lot!
That is a good idea, slow down and take it all in...then continue pushing forward!
You're awesome, thanks for checking out my sketchbook.

By the way, welcome to Crimson Daggers man!

(03-13-2013, 05:51 AM)vonZandrum Wrote: Love you're determination dude, you just keep on busting these things out like crazy. At this point just keep on practicing but if you feel fatigue slow down. Doodle some "from my imagination" stuff. Even if you're not happy with how it looks like (yet), make sure you do some personal stuff for the fun of it. Cartoony sketches, silly doodles, tag ideas, anything .... even if it's absent minded scribbles just make sure it's fun and does not feel like a task. That balance is important I find. Keep it up though :)

cheers !

Oh wow, I really appreciate it bro...ya know, I was feeling a bit fatigued last week; completely dwindled my wick to ashes... but these encouraging comments ignite the flame again!!! I often want to see what lies beyond burnout, what happens when I work past my limits. Time is very very precious, but I can't ignore the process and take the time to evaluate myself.

I am actually beginning to draw more images from my head and create my own concepts, characters, etc...gotta put things in application right?

Thanks for helping me put things in perspective man.

hey, no sweat man :)

Pushing yourself is good. Taking a peek at what lies beyond your limits is valuable knowledge too. Just don't let it rob you of the pleasure you get from drawing. Practice can be frustrating, actually it's supposed to be hehe. It's a natural part of levelling up but drawing for fun balances it out. Anywho, enough of me yappin', keep on drawing bro !!!

laters
Oh wow......well here's my second painting. I am proud of it considering the latter. Took around 5 hours.

This is Assignment #2 for Sickbrush's Concept Art Class

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job on the last one man. I think it reads pretty well if I squint my eyes, so that's really good. You're doing good!

You've got an impressive schedule and I see you've done a lot of work so far :)
I'd like to see some digital figure and face studies. and maybe instead of studies also some character designs and monsters. :)

My Crimson Daggers sketchbook ^^
(03-13-2013, 11:38 PM)Nexuun Wrote: Nice job on the last one man. I think it reads pretty well if I squint my eyes, so that's really good. You're doing good!

Thanks man! If only it looked again without the need to squint....hahahaha almost there!!

Hey man,

I notice some issues that recur, so i did a drawover, hope it helps :)

on a side note, if you're doing lines, you could draw a little harder but keep the darkness consistent so it reads clearly :)

keep truckin!

(03-14-2013, 11:51 PM)anzhou Wrote: Hey man,

I notice some issues that recur, so i did a drawover, hope it helps :)

on a side note, if you're doing lines, you could draw a little harder but keep the darkness consistent so it reads clearly :)

keep truckin!

Oooooo! Thanks man! I should use a ruler when drawing my perspective lines. I was lazy and wanted to complete this assignment in sickbrush's class. So, I didn't cross the square in the middle of the rectangle, center it, and accurately draw the ellipse. Something to think about next time.

The head and figure are bad hahaha thanks for doing the "drawover". I started off with drawing the heads and I loosely added a body to one to see if I could execute one nicely, hence the thin, light linework. I love how you centered the features; I will do that with the rest of my heads: perfect practice makes perfect!

thanks man, I really appreciate the critique!

oh, and what method do you use to draw heads? Do you use the Andrew Loomis method?

ahh k :)

try to be more careful with positioning your volumes man :) it'll add up and you'll soon begin to draw them accurately without thinking too much. think about it all everytime you draw man!

ahh its not too bad if you know why and correct it :) yea don' be too tentative, just draw it and if its wrong puzzle out why and redraw it. also, if its too complex to figure out, think about simple volumes.

Loomis is great to study from, and I use his ball construction for the head sometimes, but that said most methods will work towards establish the big volume relationships first, cranium vs jaw, followed by forehead vs cheeks vs volume of the mouth cylinder, and the details of the eye vs eyelids, lips, nose will follow in place. so sort out your simple volumes before advancing and you'll find problem solving much easier.

to belabour the point, take care of the large simple volumes in perspective and the rest of the mediuma and small volumes will have a place to rest on.

All the best man :) Keep hitting!

Nice study with the Nintendo sticks! And good job with your mileage, keep at it. And of course, you should always use a ruler for perspective lines, until you can kill it eyeballing. Grind!
Keep on pushin' dude :)

Also don't be afraid of building your stuff up from shapes. Think of everything as cubes, spheres and cylinders. Don't worry about stuff looking messy, the extra lines might ad volume too your studies as well. Here's a super crude example of what I mean: (WARNING: don't use this vid as a reference for correct anatomy :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnETVzEnZ8

cheers
Hey man,

Just want to let you know - I believe in you 110%
Keep busting your ass and remember that any obstacle that stands in your way will amount to something great once you overcome it. ^^

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
My 3rd painting...I think there is significant improvement from my first and second paintings.

This was assignment #3 for sickbrush's mentoring class (http://www.sickbrush.blogspot.com/ and http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1408.html). It was basically a texture study, that's why I left out the detail in the background and decided to focus on the blade and handle. He also required us to complete two other objects, but I really wanted to finish this and move on to the self portrait!!

(03-15-2013, 05:25 PM)I STRaY I Wrote: Nice study with the Nintendo sticks! And good job with your mileage, keep at it. And of course, you should always use a ruler for perspective lines, until you can kill it eyeballing. Grind!

Thanks dude! It's hard staying consistent, something I want to work on. Using a ruler when needed is undoubtedly the way to go man, for sure. I need to kill this impatience and really focus. Thanks for the reality check bro.

(03-15-2013, 08:16 PM)vonZandrum Wrote: Keep on pushin' dude :)

Also don't be afraid of building your stuff up from shapes. Think of everything as cubes, spheres and cylinders. Don't worry about stuff looking messy, the extra lines might ad volume too your studies as well. Here's a super crude example of what I mean: (WARNING: don't use this vid as a reference for correct anatomy :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnETVzEnZ8

cheers

Thanks man!

Great way of summing up a difficult subject. Breaking down the figure sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it is more satisfying to execute as well.

awesome man, Thanks!!

(03-19-2013, 08:16 AM)smrrfette Wrote: Hey man,

Just want to let you know - I believe in you 110%
Keep busting your ass and remember that any obstacle that stands in your way will amount to something great once you overcome it. ^^

Thanks so much smrrfette! Your studies inspired me to really hustle and work much harder than I have been doing. My rival/partner and I mention your sketchbook during our weekly convos often, Means a lot coming from you.

Attached Files Image(s)

Awesome Stuff dude! you've gotten great crits on the texture studies man. Would be cool to see you do the background but its your choice of course.

Hey I'm doing the Sickbrush assignments too, but I'm way behind ya. Gotta hustle :)

LEts burn this!

My first painted self portrait. My 4th painting. My 4th assignment for sickbrush's mentoring class.

Attached Files Image(s)

Worked over my self portrait after many awesome critiques.

Attached Files Image(s)