Trying to make an RPG with an island setting
I once read about this place known as Tristan Da Cunha, an island that is surrounded by at least 5000km of ocean in every direction and is pretty much the remotest place in the world. Looking at pictures of the place really inspired me because it made me think of what sort of adventures and mysteries would be had in such a faraway land. I thought it would be cool if there was an rpg game with such a setting.

So I found this game engine online that allows me to make an action RPG, which is great for an artist like me, because it allows me to concentrate on the visual development side of things without having to figure out coding. Currently a lot of things are still up in the air, and the only thing I have decided is that the game would be a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid setting and take place in some sort of island or archipelago. Here are some of my explorations thus far:

[Image: characters_by_ateo88-d7z02t4.jpg]
For this one I'm envisioning the game to be something like a jrpg where you start as one guy and make friends along the way to form a party. Unfortunately, I have not been feeling this idea as of late, and moving towards having the player just control one character in a open world game.

[Image: melee_weapon_by_ateo88-d7yzzy9.jpg]
Here is the main character and a concept showing his melee weapon which is foldable. The bow he carries is foldable as well, but I have yet to draw out the concept. The character was designed with the 'control a whole party' idea in mind: Because his role in the party is like a jack-of-all-trades, I thought that the foldable weapon motif would emphasize his flexibility and versatility.

[Image: boatman_by_ateo88-d7z0015.jpg]
This is a picture of an important npc. You basically pay him to ferry you around the island(s).

Next up would be creating some environments and try using 3D software in the environment creation workflow. Slightly further down the line would probably be to try using zbrush to create a 3D model of the main character. I'm creating this thread because I hope to be motivated by my fellow artists to work on this instead of procrastinating Wisecracker I guess it would also help to know what other people think. I have several ideas and it would be good to get input on which ones I should stick with. As usual, advice on how to improve the art itself is always welcome. Thumbs_up
Thats cool man. Whats the game engine you're using? Unity? I was trying to make games using Gamemaker Studio a while back but decided I need a new computer first before attempting it.

I like your coloring method, feels very watercolor-like
Thanks Ultramarine!

Hypnagogic_Haze: The engine I intend to use is known as FLARE (Free Libre Action Roleplaying Game). http://flarerpg.org/ I chose it because it is easy to use and it suits my needs. With some thought and planning I should be able to make the game I set out to within the limitations of the editor. In a certain sense, with this engine the core game mechanics has already been "built" which allows me to focus on the art (concept and creation of art assets) and game design (creation of character abilities, progression and scenario).

The game has a small community on their forums. I think I should do a create a little more art before reaching out to them, though. It will probably be good to talk to the developers to gain a better idea of what could and could not be accomplished in the engine.
nice characters, cool style
I'm not sure if the last two characters fit with the other two. What level of technology does your setting have?

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Photo 
(09-16-2014, 03:45 AM)Psychotime Wrote: I'm not sure if the last two characters fit with the other two. What level of technology does your setting have?

The highest level of technology achieved by people of that world is post-industrial, although the island the first two characters start on is considerably more rural, hence the difference in clothing styles. That being said, I do feel the disconnect as well, which is why I'm not sure if I should go ahead with this particular version or not...

Anyway, here is an exploratory sketch of one of the starting areas. It should be the first or second village the player will encounter.

[Image: town2_by_ateo88-d80gp1m.jpg]
More progress made with colouring:

[Image: towncolourwip_by_ateo88-d80ns7f.jpg]
[Image: explorations_in_colour_by_ateo88-d82s22j.jpg]

Ready to put down this environment piece after a long time, mainly due to research and not being satisfied to call it 'done' at any one point...

There are two variations, personally I'm leaning towards the first one now, but i think it needs a lot of improvement to save it from being second rate. I'm afraid the second might be too saturated.
I really like the way you use your values. I think either one would work depending on what you're going for. The top one has a more dreary feel while the bottom is more dream like. This isnt suppose to be a tropical island? The pine trees are more typical of colder climates I think.

(10-17-2014, 12:51 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: I really like the way you use your values. I think either one would work depending on what you're going for. The top one has a more dreary feel while the bottom is more dream like. This isnt suppose to be a tropical island? The pine trees are more typical of colder climates I think.

I myself live on a tropical island and pine trees grow just fine over here. When I was a kid my school had several huge ones just beyond the track and field. I would go there and collect the tiny little acorns that dropped, lol.

Anyways, here is a drawing of a desert location. Any suggestions on how to improve is always welcome

[Image: wonder_by_ateo88-d83lph6.jpg]
(10-21-2014, 12:51 PM)ateo88 Wrote: I myself live on a tropical island and pine trees grow just fine over here. When I was a kid my school had several huge ones just beyond the track and field. I would go there and collect the tiny little acorns that dropped, lol.

Acorns drop from oak trees. Do you mean pine cones? Grin

Anyway-- Gorgeous work. It has a really nice, smooth, soft feel. Continue!

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
I would focus on one location and some characters first and get it working. Sort of like a proof of concept. Once you got that one location working like how you want the final game to work like, with a character or two, then you can start expanding with different zones - and you'll have already know what kind of things to expect, so you can design your new zones with those knowledge in mind, which is _very_ useful. That's kind of like how big studio aaa games go anyway - they release a core game, then keeps working on it and slowly releasing expansion to new locations/content etc. ;)

Focus.