Saulo's shetckbook
Hey guys. I'm starting my sketchbook here. This will serve as a great incentive to practice every day. Feel free to comment and critique as well.

1 hour Master study of Ivan Aivazovsky
[Image: 1d8eaa9a4fb13ae47d06a55b7d19044b.jpg]
Welcome to the forums! :)

(07-29-2015, 02:03 AM)-echo- Wrote: Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks echo :D
Hey SauloArt, welcome to the forums! ;)

(07-29-2015, 04:08 AM)Nowio Wrote: Hey SauloArt, welcome to the forums! ;)

Thanks Nowio :D
Lenno - Ellie from The Last of Us  character genderbend study. This one was for fun xD
 [Image: 565806338e8afc28fa6725ea3cfeed46.jpg]
1 hour color study Arthur Hacker

[Image: 012bffbff9dceb95a457cbe5670e228b.jpg]
This study i forgot to post yesterday xD
1 hour color study Sergei
[Image: d7523d355ca81733841c8f5be51b0dbe.jpg]
1 hour color and figure study of Sargent.
[Image: 0b91cd1b578e0b9bd95ca1d60ba6f87c.jpg]
1 hour Color study Sargent and  Herbert James Draper
[Image: 8cefa13314168ccb04d56aa3ec278d0c.jpg]
Hey nice start to your sketchbook!
Always great to see a ton of masterstudies! Are you only doing them timed, I guess it's like the daily ones that conceptart puts up? Because I feel like you could do some longer ones and aim at something you want to improve. If it's brushwork or maybe colors and values.

One thing I'm seeing in terms of color that you could work on a bit is warm and cold colors. Getting some more contrast there. You're leaning mostly towards a greyish spectrum, so see if you can saturate more! ( You don't have to go bananas!) For example, the original Draper piece has deeper and darker blues.

Anyways, keep it up and don't forget to apply your studies mate! :)

(08-02-2015, 09:15 AM)Bjulvar Wrote: Hey nice start to your sketchbook!
Always great to see a ton of masterstudies! Are you only doing them timed, I guess it's like the daily ones that conceptart puts up? Because I feel like you could do some longer ones and aim at something you want to improve. If it's brushwork or maybe colors and values.

One thing I'm seeing in terms of color that you could work on a bit is warm and cold colors. Getting some more contrast there. You're leaning mostly towards a greyish spectrum, so see if you can saturate more! ( You don't have to go bananas!) For example, the original Draper piece has deeper and darker blues.

Anyways, keep it up and don't forget to apply your studies mate! :)

Hey Bjulvar, thank you very much for all the tips. I'm doing the "21 Days to be a better artist" of Noah Bradley. This is helping me to be better at practicing. I'm really bad at practicing xD. I really need to make this a habit. Those master studies are helping me to get a better sense of color and composition. But what you talked about a gray aspect is true, the next ones i'll use more saturated colors.

Thanks a lot mate.
Hey guys.

I was kind ashamed of my last studies, they are kind bad, so for almost 4 days i don't post any of them xD It's silly i know, but here they are.

[Image: c46361d8caeadd6d1cb8de8a9f11db2f.jpg]
Nice work!

I think that you should aim for quality rather than quantity. When you see how much work other people can churn out, and how amazing it is, it's hard not to want to rush things.

I make this mistake as well. My sketchbook has really great examples of this-- Rushed, messy studies, followed by tenacious, carefully placed, awesome-looking studies.

I can tell that you have a good eye, you just have to be patient with yourself and take your time. And I will try to take my own advice too, haha! :D

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
(08-06-2015, 10:43 PM)Bookend Wrote: Nice work!  

I think that you should aim for quality rather than quantity.  When you see how much work other people can churn out, and how amazing it is, it's hard not to want to rush things.  

I make this mistake as well.  My sketchbook has really great examples of this-- Rushed, messy studies, followed by tenacious, carefully placed, awesome-looking studies.

I can tell that you have a good eye, you just have to be patient with yourself and take your time.  And I will try to take my own advice too, haha! :D

Hey Bookend, thank you very much for stopping by. You really have made a good point in the "be patient with yourself". Those "rushed studies" that i made, was aiming to create an habit, because i wasn't practicing enough. But right now i'm working on something that i'll have to spend more time on it. I'm sure that i'll learn more that way :D
Thumbnails of some Miner character that i've been doing for the group on facebook called Desafios 2Minds.[Image: a05992097474042c3096bd808a66b87e.jpg]
E ai cara, beleza?

I think you're trying think that are a little out of your skill range... Nothing wrong on practicing silhouettes, but you got to focus on the fundamentals first. The silhouettes are just a form to articulate this knowledge, they won't fix it or improve it for you... So, the two main things that I notice you got to study first are anatomy and values...

Do those "medical drawings" of the human body, tons of them, do figure drawings (do not worry in being fast, take your time, a lot of time)... On the values, paint objects in black and white, paint scenes in black and white... And in this studies always keep the lighting in mind, try to understand what's happening, the bounce lights, the reflections, how did they happen..

I hope this helps, keep studying!

(08-10-2015, 10:47 AM)Rhasdra Wrote: E ai cara, beleza?

I think you're trying think that are a little out of your skill range... Nothing wrong on practicing silhouettes, but you got to focus on the fundamentals first. The silhouettes are just a form to articulate this knowledge, they won't fix it or improve it for you... So, the two main things that I notice you got to study first are anatomy and values...

Do those "medical drawings" of the human body, tons of them, do figure drawings (do not worry in being fast, take your time, a lot of time)... On the values, paint objects in black and white, paint scenes in black and white... And in this studies always keep the lighting in mind, try to understand what's happening, the bounce lights, the reflections, how did they happen..

I hope this helps, keep studying!

Opa, tudo certo!

You're not wrong. Those silhouettes are just to have some fun, but, i'm already  practicing figure drawing and anatomy. Thank you very much for the tips. Figure Drawing, Value, Light and Anatomy are my main focus of study right now :D

Abraços!
Lineart of my Miner.
[Image: 0b469d0944230dc88f6dff51ebf7bef5.jpg]
Portrait that i'm doing for a friend. Trying a new style in this drawing.

[Image: 9647924f7440d11d360acdb7f903201e.jpg]