xiemogui sketchbook
Hi to anyone whose here.

A little of introduction of me. :) Im currently 16 now, and really i definitely want to have a job thats gonna lift me off from my current situation but importantly something that i can enjoy and have fun doing. which was art

Having maybe a little pior knowledge from just copying manga, once a blue moon, though seldomly still lots of fun, thats when i thought, having a career in the creative industry, might be what i had always wanted to do. Though i started out traditionally with pencil at a beginner level. I wanted to do those cool environments, digitally which is also possible traditionally

Im still alongside the trusty pencil and paper though! Maybe gouache the coming month.

Some of my first dgital attempt

Currently on it for a month and a half now, some of my works newer works:

I'll be posting works, studies or etc, from now on starting woth what i did today. dont wanna mess up my sketchbook with old worka
Nice start! Look forward to seeing more.
Day 44 

Still life 

Value study lotr

Compo and anatomy study

Imaginative(traditional)
{delete}

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-13-2015, 01:55 AM)Cricketts Wrote: Nice start! Look forward to seeing more.

Welcome to my sketchbook. And thanks :)
Day 45

Some of the stuff i did:

Anatomy and application of study

An hour value work by photo

Value to color work(joker)

Compo(hudson river school)

John singer 1 hr copy

Day 46

Value copy maater jss

Master copy thomas moran and photo copy(clouds focus)

A quick speed painting

Very frustrated with my brushstrokes and how messy my paintings are. Trying to be patient and take it slowly. 

The bad thing about self studying is really, finding mistakes unaided, then through research and having a good conscience eye, in correcting it. Though sometimes no matter how many tries, you fail, but failure is just a facet to success, patience and mileage might just be the key?
Your brush work will be messy and "dirty" for some time, be patient. Just do your work, study. And i recommend too use simple brushes, not anything fancy it's better to focus on fundamentals not brush texture etc at this moment :) Keep going !
(12-15-2015, 12:11 AM)seppoday Wrote: Your brush work will be messy and "dirty" for some time, be patient. Just do your work, study. And i recommend too use simple brushes, not anything fancy it's better to focus on fundamentals not brush texture etc at this moment :) Keep going !

Hi. Yup i intend to use the simple brushes tomorrow on some studies or copies, see how it'll work out. Though i just prefer to have the traditionally painterly kinda artwork style. Leaning towards that. Thanks for the advice seppoday!
Day 47

Anatomy application

Still life , compo

Quick picture copy(brush work &edges focus)

Personal piece

Did some more anatomy and imagunatuve figures traditionally, would love to upload them but my eyes are too tired to even blink so... cya
Hey xiemogui,

Great start so far! Really like to see commitment like this at a young age. Keep going and you'll go far. As for any recommendations I'd just say don't forget to paint more from your head. I know at this level painting anything from your imagination is a sort of hit or miss situation on if you will like it or not, but if you don't paint from your head on your own time than all of these wonderful studies will have gone to waste.

Basically, relax and take some time each day to paint something, anything from your imagination. And don't worry about if it's good or not, you're young and developing your skills still, it's understandable if it's not a master speedpaint or something.

Keep it up!

(12-16-2015, 02:20 AM)Forrestimel Wrote: Hey xiemogui,

Great start so far! Really like to see commitment like this at a young age. Keep going and you'll go far. As for any recommendations I'd just say don't forget to paint more from your head. I know at this level painting anything from your imagination is a sort of hit or miss situation on if you will like it or not, but if you don't paint from your head on your own time than all of these wonderful studies will have gone to waste.

Basically, relax and take some time each day to paint something, anything from your imagination. And don't worry about if it's good or not, you're young and developing your skills still, it's understandable if it's not a master speedpaint or something.

Keep it up!

Thanks! I'll definitely do more imaginative. Thanks again forestimel!
Day 48

Value practice and heads(imagination)

Personal landscape piece

Figure copy(brush work focus)
My figure prac(above) was too messy so i tried using big strokes on this copy without focusing too much on an area.

Traditional
{delete}

Attached Files Image(s)

day 49

Didn't do much yesterday got my results and sorted some school stuff. Did a wip, still life and finished a speedpainting and a quick figure.

Kinda wanna give it a glossy skin

the colours are pretty bad on his one.

Day 50

I won't be posting pencils stuff or studies anymore. Feel like its clogging up the page. But If its something rendered or worth posting i'll post it here.
Day 51

Woah didnt realize i uploaded anything

When a step back and drew some imaginative female heads. The environment painting was really bad, realized halfway that i was just putting in colours and mixing em without a thought in the world. It's funny how i forget simple processes. Gotta keep a note in front of me.

[attachment=78100]

Attached Files Image(s)

Day 52

Head prac

Buildings prac

Master copy 1hr

Personal works

Attached Files Image(s)

Day 53

Still life and personal work

Did another landscape but for some idiotic move that i made canceled it without saving. Oh man... lesson learned ctrl+S is gonna be used alot more now.
day 54

Feeling extremely sick today.. 

personal works (compo and brushwork experiment)

day 55

Was really a bad day for me. Felt like i wasnt being true to myself regarding how i was painting.

Did some still life but it just wasnt working out for some reason. Everything just fell apart after that. So i got myself zbrush learned abit of the interface and sculpted a model for a few hours. Still half way through it, i wont be completing it anytime soon(maybe?) since 3d isnt what i want to do. It was pretty fun though. Might do it an hour an a half everyday.
Hello there,

Like how much work you put into your sketchbook! Keep it up!

Sorry to hear the still life didn't work out, might be a good idea to go back to it and see if you can find out what and where things went wrong, its a great learning opportunity. 

I have some ideas on your latest painting,

Feel that the fog and lighting effects you are introducing are affecting the definition of the subjects in the image. Try and keep the forms well defined , with 2-3 colours for each area of light and dark so you can work the design simply. Save a backup copy of the image before you start blending in the softer parts of the image, adding fog and the like. This is so you can compare and see if you've lost any definition. 

Hope this gives you some food for thought!