N D Hill's Painting/Drawing dump
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, one thing you learn with the atelier method is that there really is no such thing as overworking a piece and just when you think you've seen work that represents the pinacle of realism, you find something else that holds up to an even higher level of scrutiny. I try to keep my concept work between 7 and 10 hours just because that's the kind of turnaround you'd see in a studio setting. But yeah, there's no good reason to glaze over something when you could define it.

Nestoronfire: Thanks. Yeah that's something I'm working on. My ability to represent of different materials needs some strengthening.

Anyway, it turns it we had a make up session for that last pose. Here's the update. I start a new month's figure drawing tomorrow.

[Image: safehouse111.jpg][/img]

Those pencils <3

Thanks.

Here are some more creatures.

[Image: terminusaetascreatures.jpg]

Great creatures ND, love that last one in particular.
Thanks, Dennis.

Here's a new figure drawing in the works. This is two sessions in. I'll try to post various progress shots as I go.

[Image: safehouse12wip.jpg]

Okay. Well here's something I don't do enough of. I'm trying to step up my environments to round out my skill-set. I don't quite have a process for this yet and I'd love to hear tips anyone might have on how I could work smarter.

[Image: mars.jpg]

Here's a figure drawing update.

[Image: safehouse12wip2.jpg]

Awesome work ndhill, last one comin out sweet!
Great SB, the figure drawing is amazing.

Nice stuff man. Love the figure drawing. I'd love to have a go at one of those. Just need to find someone to stand very still for me ;).

The creatures are looking good as well man. Keep it coming :)

Thanks, everyone.

(09-22-2012, 09:08 AM)JakeB Wrote: Nice stuff man. Love the figure drawing. I'd love to have a go at one of those. Just need to find someone to stand very still for me ;).

I can't recommend it enough. If you can find some class or group that does long poses in your area, jump on it. There are so many concepts that start to click as you do it. If you can find one with a good instructor, even better. Either way, I recommend Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life. Carl Dobsky told me to pick it up early on and it helped me out greatly as I started out and continues to now.

Here's the finished figure drawing for September. When I say finished what I really mean is that I ran out of time.

[Image: final_safehouse12.jpg]

awsome work on that figure
It's been a busy couple months. Between appendicitis, traveling to New England and freelance work (all of which is under NDA), I haven't had a lot of time to do personal work. Here are some moleskine brian farts drawn during some down time.

[Image: nudess.jpg]

[Image: bullguana.jpg]

[Image: beerdoodle.jpg]

I appreciate all your pencil stuff and I hope to see more soon. Keep it up! ;3

Thanks.

Here's a head study I did tonight. Aprox 1.5 hours. the ref was taken from 'No Country for Old Men.' Using a photo reference instead of a model can be maddening as you are always able to do a simple overlay and see just how off your really are.

[Image: chigur.jpg]

[Image: waitress.jpg]

[Image: aliensketch.jpg]

Looking good man. As always, pencils are looking great, really like the way you render. The waitress looks cool as well :).

Cheers for the Bridgman recommendation btw, I'll check it out. Still slugging through Loomis atm, but it can't hurt to mix it up a bit. :)

Here's a new sketch.

[Image: famalienswip1.jpg]