N D Hill's Painting/Drawing dump
My name's Noel

I'm a conceptual artist and illustrator. I'm a freelancer right now in addition to a non-art day job but I'd love to get my work to a place where I can appeal more to game dev art directors and get some stable studio work. I currently reside in San Francisco and attend figure drawing sessions over at Safehouse Atelier.

I've followed the Crimson Daggers youtube channel for a while for some of the great interviews and I check out the facebook group every once in a while to see what people are working on. However, I've never had the presence of mind or cajones to actually stream when I paint.

Anyway, Here's a selection of recent work. Below are pieces from a couple personal IPs I've developed to expand my character and creature design portfolio. A few freelance pieces. And figure drawings from Safehouse Atelier.

Crits and any kind of feedback is very welcome and would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Noel

VD. A personally developed IP conceived as a post-apocalyptic fighting game.

[Image: gimpninja.jpg]

[Image: femgimpninja.jpg]

[Image: male-nomad.jpg]

[Image: female-nomad.jpg]

The next designs are for another personal IP I've tenatavely titled Primum Mobile. This is a sci-fi horror that's set in a near future where commercial space endeavors are common place but still technologically restricted to our own Solar system. "Primum Mobile" refers to the ninth sphere of heaven or "the abode of angels" described in Dante's Paradiso.

[Image: cfcaptain.jpg]

[Image: heavy_eva_suitr.jpg]

[Image: imp.jpg]

[Image: wanderer.jpg]

[Image: andrews.jpg]

A creature illustration commissioned by Khepera Publishing for their Hellas RPG.

[Image: mares.jpg]

An alien/prometheus inspired creature design.

[Image: protomorph3.jpg]

Figure drawings from Safehouse Atelier in chronological order. Poses are all about 24 hours.

[Image: final_safehouse1.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse2.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse3.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse4.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse5.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse6.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse7.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse8.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse9.jpg]

[Image: final_safehouse10.jpg]
Great stuff Noel, welcome to Crimson Daggers

Jamesxwu: Thanks, man.
Whoa, nice concepts, but BEAUTIFUL figures man. I'll be watching, welcome!

Welcome to the forum, excellent figure drawings, beautifully detailed. As for your digital work, the edges could do with being refined more, the characters are good, maybe pushing the dark and light values a bit more could really help them 'pop' as being 3D forms. Keep posting and working hard!!

Dang! Welcome to the forums man. Those figure studies are amazing. Character work is coming along as well, though I agree with what JonHop had to say. Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much for all of the feedback everyone. I'm loving everything about this community so far. It seems like a small hyper dedicated, supportive group. I really look forward to contributing.

Here's a creature design I did this weekend. Approximately 8 hours. This was for a commission. Now that I think about it, it's sort of looks like My Little Pony meets Avatar.

[Image: dactylian.jpg]
Good work man, that last one came out great!
That protomorph character concept is pretty awesome! these pencil figure drawings look damn amazing to.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Thanks guys. I ought to have another long-pose figure drawing done this week.
[Image: safehouse11.jpg]

Oh god. Love are your stuff <3

Thanks. That last figure drawing marks the end of my first year drawing at Safehouse Atelier in San Francisco.

Very good last one ndhill! I'd call that a successful end to a year, how did you enjoy it?
(08-29-2012, 03:50 AM)Dennis Kutsenko Wrote: Very good last one ndhill! I'd call that a successful end to a year, how did you enjoy it?

Thanks, man. It was great. It was easily the best instruction I've ever received and it was long past due considering the time I wasted at a terrible BFA program that didn't leave me with anything but debt. Then there was the additional few years I spent being indecisive. I feel like I'm finally making up for lost time.

The life drawings from the Atelier are awesome man. Always love that kinda stuff. Looks sweet. And your concept work's looking pretty solid.

It'd be cool to see how far you could take a single image if you pushed it for a long time, perhaps. That being said, I'm not knocking what you've got. Whatever your doing, it's working. Keep it up man, looking forward to seeing more :)

Wasted or not wasted time, u're doing splendid, ill be happy to see more of your personal work, and I'm backing Jake here, cuz I see what you can do with those long studies :) Welcome, Im blown away.
Ivan'Wasted6years' Cirovic

wow, damn. those pencil studies are killing it
and pretty nice concepts!
Great start to a sketchbook man, loving those pencil figure drawings especially. The concept stuff is coming long nicely too. Keep it up.

Hey man, i like your concepts. I'd maybe use some textures here and there to make them look more polished real fast, but otherwise really nice work. And that's a fighting game i would definitely like to play.