Bjulvar's Sketchbook
Late night thingie

Like that alien/monster guys face, lots of personality in it I think. And nice to see lots of personal work in between the studies, to see you apply what you've learned. The grind is going strong, it is known!

Adzerak
Thanks, that's nice to hear! Haha I always feel the need to do sketches and personal work. Almost hard to focus on studies because of it! :P I'm like a skater, grinding dem rails!

A warm up sketch from this morning!

Throwing this up here before I finish it. Is the character still hard to read, or is there any other problem that has surfaced?
Going to have it in a portfoliobook for a book convention next week, so need to get it printed soon.
I'd appreciate critique! :)

BJULVAR! YEEEEEEA :D

I love the character in the creature-dude in the top post of this page, looking sweet - though I'd suggest maybe handling hard brushes more in your work. Perhaps try the working-zoomed-out-using-only-big-hard-round method. What I'm trying to say is don't be too afraid to use the hard round to bring the form out more in your work :)

Also, for the last piece - greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat work man! It's gonna look soooo sweet when you print it out for the convention!

The only thing I'd suggest is to bring some peak highlights into the metal where the light fully hits - it'd make the image pop just that little bit more. Add a new layer and be wild with 'em and then reduce 'em using a mask ( [ O ] < that button, at the bottom of the layers window in case you/someone didn't know)

Anyways, I hope that helps! Keep up the great work Bjulvarararar! o/

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
smrrfette
Heeeey SmruUttfee!

Thanks! Haha I'm really scared of using hard brushes, I don't know whyy. It's been a slow process introducing it to my work! You should check out the earlier stuff in mah sketchbook. It's so hazy, I'm like Hendrix. I'll try it out though of course :D

And thanks for the crit! Sneaked in some highlights. I just hope that it's visible! Stayed up so late finishing it that I had a headache the whole day after. God damnit!

Here it is atleast, I'm pretty happy with most of it! But next time I need to get mah values straight. That took the longest time to fix and change around.

Two nice little fashion thingies. Trying to be more consequent with the strokes

And sketchy heads for a project!

Thangs

Nice, that genie thing is a cool idea.

The genie illo is really cool, man. Great color, mood and comp. What would help is to refine your edges and push your values more. Don't be afraid of hard brushes and don't be afraid of black. You can use black in a painting, in fact you should, you just need to know where to apply it as well as what "tint" of black you should use.

Nice updates man. What convention are you going to? That's awesome, I'm sure meeting and talking to real people is going to be a cool experience. Best of luck! As a little suggestion, don't be afraid of using a tiny dab of color dodge when dealing with glowy light effects or fire. As long as it's not overdone and in the right way, it usually helps me with creating that light-like feeling

JJ Aaron
Thanks man, treating you with an update then!

MrFrenik
Thank you Frenik! I switched the composition around a tad, figured I could continue on the piece for fun. I don't know what it is, but I don't seem to be getting the hard edges that I'm looking for. Constantly experimenting with it, but it all seems kind of soggy.
Yeah I should! Thanks mate! Darker it iis.

Pnate

Thanks man. It was a pretty big book convention here in Sweden. Everything from universities and publishers to bookstores. I really liked the experience of just walking around there and looking for publishers, but it was pretty intimidating aswell! The receptivness of people varied a lot. But I got the feeling that, atleast here in Sweden, they don't dare taking risks with illustrators. Comfortable people!
Yeah thanks for the tip dude! I guess that you use it more as a touchup in the end? I usually clutter it up if it's during the painting process!

Yo! So I was pretty stressed and nervous the days leading up to the convention. The feeling gets a bit reflected in some of the sketches here. But I'm back on track now. So here's a little update!

Sketches from earlier this week

Studies for paintings

And WiPs!

Quick fashionstudy and a moviestill.

Two spitpaintings from yesterday and today. Nice to have something quick to challenge your imagination and not having to think about taking them further.

A super-provocative sketch!1 I sometimes feel that art is like pushing a boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down on the other side and the process to repeat itself. Not to sound too negative. I kinda like it in a masochistic way :P

And a new WiP

Dat improvement!

Seriously man I see tons of improvement since I last checked back here ^ ^

Keep it uuuup Bjulllvaararar! You're killing itttt!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
It's been like week or two since I visited your sketchbook and you produced so much stuff. I don't even know where to start commenting. Maybe instead I'll simply say. Great job!

So much work in here, so good. Really like that last WIP as well, gonna be such a good piece. I feel like you could push the gesture of the standing dude's hand a little bit, play around with the silhouette, just because it's kinda out on it's own, so people are gonna look at it, and you want it as exciting as possible (well, as exciting as a hand can be lol)

Other than that, looks solid man, keep it coming :D

good job mate, its been a while since my last visit and its cool to see all these updates.
I specially like your last wip, but i agree with Jake, if you could somehow make that hand a bit more interesting the picture would become much better.
Maybe you could use that hand to reflect some body language, maybe his attitude towards the dude on the ground.

smrrfette

Oh that feels so good to hear, thank you smurfurtursertte! I can't stoooop noow!

ramalooke

You don't have to say much, that was enough to make me fuzzy and warm on the inside! Thanks alot, I hope some of it is worth watching :D

JakeB

Yo Jake! Thanks man!
Really happy with where it's going. Everytime I allow myself to give it a story (in my head) the process get more natural. Yeah I left the hand kind of static in these WiPs! I've been at it today and I think I've found a more interesting angle to it. Didn't even think that it would be the focal point. So thanks for pointing that out! It's going to be the most exciting hand that I've ever painted haha!

Thanks dude, you too :D

EduardoGaray
Hey man thanks! There's always a place for you here!
I'm glad you took up the same thing as Jake, so I went ahead and tried different angles with the hand. And the part about their interaction is an important aspect that I missed. I only thought about their heads meeting :P

Going to tinker with the illustration a bit more before I post an update!
But here's two new spitpaintings. The first one was Jetpack and the second one is a Snail Exosuit. It's not very clear, but whatever :P

Some anatomy, trying to force myself to paint more females so I'll get it as a habit. Really underrepresented in my illustrations, gotta fix that. Sorry about them being small

And a sort of application I suppose! It's still pretty rough

Love the snail exosuit, it's hilarious =D . Great update <3

You pump out so much stuff at one time, man. Making me feel lazy!

So much work man, it's awesome to see. I love your designs too, especially in the characters and creatures. Keep going man!