Craig's Sketchbook
Hello Daggers.

As I said in my introduction post, I plan to make 2013 the year of my quest from mediocre to 'quite good' artist. With luck, and much hard work, this sketchbook will serve as some kind of chronicle of that improvement over the course of the year.

Here are a few samples of some of my recent work.

[Image: q8UIr.jpg]

[Image: mFAX0.jpg]

[Image: ljIVA.jpg]

[Image: acvpn.jpg]

[Image: aqYcE.jpg]

Good stuff mate

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
welcome to the daggers ;O great stuff

About time Craig! Nice to see you here. I've seen your work before - love your posters/covers. Cheers!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Cheers for the comments chaps, appreciated.

Hopefully, in time, I'll be able to fill this sketchbook with some improved artworks.

Here's some quick portrait studies I made this weekend.

[Image: mccIb.jpg]

[Image: 6d4Nr.jpg]

(01-05-2013, 07:29 AM)Craig Paton Wrote: my quest from mediocre to 'quite good' artist.

Hmm, I might be in the wrong place then.

Nice start, good painting, some flaws in anatomy but nothing to poke too hard, post more up asap! :D

Lovely studies Craig! And I also wanted to say that I was just looking through your DA again and have to point out how rapidly you've been improving as of late. You've leveled up like crazy in the last 3 or 4 months. So I guess congratulations on that. Keep doing what you're doing! It's inspiring!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Cheers Pierce, I've been putting some effort into improving my work lately. Hopefully this year will see double the improvement of last.

Decided to start working my way through the assignments on Sickbrush's Fantastic 5 thread. Here's my progress through the first assignment (36 line portraits and a gradient and selection tool landscape) so far. Should finish up the rest by the end of the week.

Forgot how tough line based portraits are, without the having the luxury of a paint brush to hide areas.

[Image: Q6ibH.jpg]

[Image: 1d9nZ.jpg]

[Image: C8Jeb.jpg]

Great update sir, the line weighting in your portraits is pretty cool, and I'm picking out likenesses of those I know fairly easily. I'm also going to make a start on these today :D

I guess you should go from already good to elite artist :) No, really, you are already "quite good"

Completed my Asians this evening. For the Sickbrush assignment. Just Indian and Native American to go.

[Image: m1RMq.jpg]

I like your faces very much. How long do you need for one face?

My Sketchbook
My DA
My Blog
Thanks Anna. Depends on my concentration really, but ideally, they take me around half an hour each, but laziness and procrastination often sees me taking double, or triple, that time.

Here's my Indian portraits.

[Image: 0OIwj.jpg]

wow - this is a really nice sketchbook. And as elderscroller already mentioned, very professional.
greetings
klaus
Thanks Klaus.

Here's the last of my line portraits, Native Americans.

[Image: FrLBO.jpg]

Quick study portrait of a Mr. Underhill.

[Image: B3fSdaH.jpg]

Great study, inspiring. I'd like to get back to doing some of the cinematic studies. Pixar is really interesting to paint as they've often simplified the lighting. I'd like to see you tackle painting some of the background setting of the characters, even if loosely. :D

Working on a number of studies this week. Here's a few wee landscape studies.

[Image: VUiNbK5.jpg]

Haha, I recognized Tyson and Kaku at least! You have a great sketchbook dude, your studies are really good. I already had your image of SSS in my image database since a while ago :D

I'll try working with Sickbrush' "fantastic 5" too, good job Craig!

Hello I'm Ryan, I'm 19yo. I live in Paris, France. :)
my portfolio | my deviantart | my sketchbook