Reed wants to draw better... at last
Thanks for the advice Nim, i will do some more Portraits in grayscale, it really helped me out with finding the right values ^^

Day 11

Daily Portrait #11: i noticed that i could add even more darks, she is still way to bright in the shadows :/ I may also need more Lip-and-eye-practice.

[Image: portrait13_zps6849bbb1.jpg]

and some stuff from Loomis and some fancy Skeletons inspired by bammes:

[Image: Scan11_zps07712247.jpeg]
[Image: Scan1_zpsd9a3e557.jpeg]

More tomorrow!
Dont be afraid of contrast my friend, its a great tool for good looking skin. Unless you are studying from flash photography images (which i dont recommend you do) as there is not enough form to work from.

Keep up the good work!

Grr No Posts the past 2 days, so here is what i've done:

Daily Portrait #12 (face is still a little too long i guess)

[Image: portrait14_zpsac743ad0.jpg]

Sketchies from imagination:
[Image: Scan14_zps61f1dfd9.jpeg]
[Image: Scan12_zpsc196868c.jpeg]
Ha, there is me in the picture!
[Image: Scan15_zps3417c13e.jpeg]
[Image: Scan13_zps7bdc3d62.jpeg]

i like those skeletons, maybe i´ll do some more studies with them from some greek statues or other photos today :D

c ya
Day 13 here i come:

again i did several portraits today:

At first a self portrait and daily portrait#13:
[Image: port_zps8aa62860.jpg]

not very happy in the end i just stopped working at it at some point and went to other assignments:

Face studies:
[Image: quickportraits_zps4838b051.jpg]

(still need to study eyes they are always too big)

and some stuff out of my drunken mind in the late evening:

[Image: 1_zps0596e817.jpg]

... oh and some sketches too... tomorrow there will be more anatomy-related stuff

[Image: Scan12_zpsab8707dc.jpeg]
[Image: Scan1_zps35cec131.jpeg]
[Image: Scan11_zpscc7ac68a.jpeg]

ah well the last ones look so crappy because i tried to do them without the "loomis method" ... epic fail i guess but i dont want to keep these "Loomis-Guidelines" forever :P
c ya tomorrow!
Day 14 FTW!

A portrait from imagination. I did homework half the day and celebrated my birthday in the evening, so the time was kinda short for art stuff (and i promised to do some more anatomy stuff)
I think i got better with the values but i have massive problems with colors. Guess i will work my way through Gourney´s Color and light in my next holidays, since it seems to be the "color bible" for all artists i asked for it so far ^^

So:

Daily Portrait # 14:

[Image: portrait14_zps78c3cc24.jpg]

Anatomy (~°.°)~
[Image: Scan12_zpsf3d72de8.jpeg]
[Image: Scan1_zps56288a41.jpeg]

And this was my warmup-sketch
[Image: Scan11_zpscc62b708.jpeg]

Yay, i made it to the scapula and the shoulders! Finally some interesting muscle-studies :)

c ya tomorrow, have a great one ;)
Day 15

was busy with school stuff all day, but here are some Thorax studies and daily portrait #15:

[Image: portrait15_zps9f82e28d.jpg]

[Image: Scan13_zps817c1c4b.jpeg]

more tomorrow!
Day 16

Lots of homework for artschool, damn i can see the deathline for all the stuff and it is far too sooner than i like...

Portrait #16: just spended ~40 mins on this because it was 2am. already.
[Image: portrait16_zpsac5dbb60.jpg]

today was imagination day! I just used a reference for the leguan ^^
And i found some colored pencils Yaay!

[Image: Scan14_zpsd02cef6f.jpeg]
[Image: Scan15_zps9a2c674f.jpeg]

more tomorrow!
Busy day 17

8hours art school, but i still managed to get something done at home:
30mins for the daily portrait because it was 1 a.m and tomorrow is another day in art school :/

Daily Portrait #17:

[Image: portrait17_zpseb7814e4.jpg]

some skulls from life (almost forgot that i got one sitting on my shelf)
[Image: Scan16_zps73aa66a5.jpeg]

some random faces from imagination and some value-study poses

[Image: Scan18_zpsbdf199cc.jpeg]
[Image: Scan17_zps6b6c3a51.jpeg]

aaand more tomorrow!
Day 18+19

I did things for design-school all weekend, but here are portraits #18 and 19

[Image: ADTR_zps168404c2.jpg]

[Image: Scan19_zpsab0925e7.jpeg]

more tomorrow
Day 20!

Sorry no portrait today i started this knight-illustration. Need to do some more metal studies and Landscape stuff. I also fucked up the light :/

[Image: knight_zps34ac8fc7.jpg]

The other thing is: i will rather take photos of my pencil stuff now than scanning it in, because i work on A3 and A2 now. This is not everything i have done today, but i will stop bothering you with my quick lovecastle-gesture drawings :)

[Image: CIMG8317_zps1ba09ed3.jpg]
[Image: CIMG8318_zps37569187.jpg]

more tomorrow again!
[Image: portrait20_zps27824c26.jpg]
Day 22!

didn´t have the time to take photos of my anatomy-sketchbook. Maybe tomorrow ;D

The last 2 daily portraits: #21 and #22!

[Image: portrait21_zps1b927287.jpg]

[Image: portrait22_zps9e5e06fb.jpg]

the last one was kinda inspired by a picture of sakimichan, because of the hair (it was from DA and i downloaded it looong ago..) I stll suck at painting hair.. if anyone can give me a hint to do it the right way, man this would be awesome... just doodling random lines with 100% opacity and pen pressure deactivated trying to find values in the chaos of strands... but i failed :/
the first one is without any references or lines, just painted the values directly :D

cya
Day 24!

This Day nearly killed me :/

Daily portrait #23 started with no lines, just threw colors on the canvas. (The guy still looks ridiculous thoug)

[Image: portrait23_zpsd887b497.jpg]

here are some warmups from imagination and some pages of my private Anatomy book im working on:
[Image: Scan1_zps759b3b9a.jpeg]
[Image: CIMG8320_zps90be6156.jpg]
[Image: CIMG8321_zpsa45820e7.jpg]

Then, i finally found the time to sit down and think about my diploma-theme (i still have more than 2 years left, but hey, i know in which direction i wanna go now and have a setting in mind)
Here are 2 pretty loose concepts done with markers and a ballpen:

This is also my first robot-mecha-thing i have ever drawn in my life :D

[Image: Scan12_zps9dfc5db9.jpeg]
[Image: Scan11_zps07ec1c7a.jpeg]

Yeah, about the story in this... i thougt about some dark-future setting with some kind of mindless machine Zombies (after humanity nearly destroyed itself and the remainings of the cyborg-era take over, using humans as "motors"). hm, so let´s see what else will spawn from my twisted mind within the next 2 years :/

more tomorrow!
Very nice progress!
Doing good, man. Keep it up.
Portrait#24!

[Image: portrait24_zpsa8f36f41.jpg]
Waddup Reed, it's looking good, and seeing some nice progress. I really like your construction and hatch work. DO you like Bammes more then Loomis?
Thanks STRaY, i really appreciate this :D Hm hard to say, since they are both awesome :) I think that the Bammes book is still better for learning the connections of muscles and bones, where they start and how they react and interact in different poses. It´s also full of awesome skeleton references.
But the portraits and hands in bammes books are not as quite as good as the ones from Loomis.
I think i took the bone- and muscle-stuff from bammes, more muscles from Hoggarth, and faces, hands shading and most of the other stuff from Loomis.
Therefore Loomis is still my favorite
(02-26-2013, 08:24 AM)Reed Wrote: Thanks STRaY, i really appreciate this :D Hm hard to say, since they are both awesome :) I think that the Bammes book is still better for learning the connections of muscles and bones, where they start and how they react and interact in different poses. It´s also full of awesome skeleton references.
But the portraits and hands in bammes books are not as quite as good as the ones from Loomis.
I think i took the bone- and muscle-stuff from bammes, more muscles from Hoggarth, and faces, hands shading and most of the other stuff from Loomis.
Therefore Loomis is still my favorite
Nice, I for one have started with Loomis. And while I feel like I'm learning placement of landmarks & construction. I feel like it's making me worse as far as drawing, but they're is likely some underlying psycho shit going on. I just like seeing others anatomy/figure drawing, and I see Bammes/Hampton/Bridgman studies that look so much more enjoyable to me. I don't know, I'm likely just self sabotaging or something. Anyways, cheers man, I think you've got it right by the looks of it and taking some from each method. looks good and once I do finish some Loomis I look forward to trying something else. But I have so much Loomis to do, like 5 books, god.
Day 25!

wow, this one felt like a little breakthrough! need to keep working...

daily portrait #25

[Image: portrait25sm_zps2b7b85f2.jpg]

cheers!