Kwibl's sketchbook.
Hey guys, been trying to find stuff to post on here as the first step to self betterment.

[Image: defense_of_caen_by_kwibl-d5qfz0e.png]

[Image: isf_task_force_by_kwibl-d5brhdz.png]

And a recent piece trying to capture some of that Homeworld feel.
[Image: cityscape_by_kwibl-d60xuph.png]
More stuff, a few WIPs.

[Image: battlescape_part_1_wip_by_kwibl-d62uypi.png]

Friend wanted a crazy complex battle scene for his birthday, split it up into 2 images as he also wanted a more focused one on a few select characters. My mind is bleeding rainbows and excrement.

[Image: pa_officers_by_kwibl-d62v1hu.png]

[Image: pc_jeep_by_kwibl-d62v0tk.png]

Started on Noah Bradley's art camp, day 1, 3 value composition thumb studies. Shall be posting my progress on this camp every day now i've finished uni for the year

[Image: tumblr_mmw2k8StCU1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

And some skull/helmet stuff. I realised i've always drawn skulls slightly wrong so i grabbed some reference and did it properly.

[Image: tumblr_mmw3ffFJaE1sr87w9o1_500.png]

More stuff from Noah's camp

[Image: tumblr_mnbh12HBry1sr87w9o1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mnbgzvQ1xw1sr87w9o2_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mnbgzvQ1xw1sr87w9o1_1280.jpg]

And this week we're allowed to do imagination stuff, nothing particularly original but i felt these were actually a huge improvement over my usual stuff - i felt far less like the sky was falling when i was doing into them and sketched directly in colour.

[Image: tumblr_mnbgqgeWUw1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_mndr7j3MxO1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

[Image: axeron_soldier_wip_by_kwibl-d677foz.png]

Still a WIP, needs another sitting to just go through and refine stuff, and i took a major detour away from the intended colour i wanted it to be.

More stuff from art camp

[Image: tumblr_moulk7TrUZ1sr87w9o1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_moyhf0Mao81sr87w9o1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_mpfot9Rder1sr87w9o1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_mpiicbDZv81sr87w9o2_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_mpiicbDZv81sr87w9o1_1280.png]

Need to practice women more so i'm more comfortable drawing them in less static poses. Also just generally push my view points to be more dynamic.

Oh man this stuff is rad.

Really enjoying your mechanical shape language.

On the first piece, i'm a bit confused by the perspective, it looks like the mechs in the distance are tiny and sitting on a wall close to the camera... if you see what i mean.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
(07-06-2013, 11:41 PM)OtherMuzz Wrote: Oh man this stuff is rad.

Really enjoying your mechanical shape language.

On the first piece, i'm a bit confused by the perspective, it looks like the mechs in the distance are tiny and sitting on a wall close to the camera... if you see what i mean.

Cheers muzz, those are actually just infantry sitting around on the wall above the mechs, i suppose some scale queues would be a good idea to make that clearer

[Image: tumblr_mplb6ypsCp1sr87w9o1_r2_1280.png]

Older illustration that i went back and reworked cause i got really lazy in some areas. Still a very lazy background, but i'm hoping to work on better environments.

OOOOOH, i didn't realize that they were giant mechs. I think it's because you used scaled up shape language. A lot of forms on them look human sized, and the water is lacking the tiny details to make that look small as well.

You should break up the forms into smaller panels, make the hand hold rungs actually the right size for the characters, make the antennae arrays tiny ect. Also i'd recommend breaking up the panels a lot more.

Pretty sure you know ukitakumuki from the shape language you use. But have a look at the scales on his shape language for his giant mechs.

I tried to do a paintover. Main thing i did was scale down the heads, and try and make the shape language smaller on a bunch of the mechs.

http://snag.gy/IsqdN.jpg

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Cheers for the paint over man, you're right on the Kai Lim part, he's my number one inspiration as far as shape language and design aesthetic goes, and i guess it shows. That one in particular started as a tribute to his old Titan series.

I'll keep that stuff in mind when i hopefully come back to it, doing a pass over my older stuff to work on for a portfolio and that's one of the ones i wanna revisit, cheers!

Went back in and fixed what was bugging me most, which was the ugly and boring buildings. Futuristic archicture is something i've struggled with a lot, so it was the main thing i concentrated on with this.

Didn't do anything much to the mechs, but i removed the infantry up top to remove any confusion and added some more micro detail to the paneling, might add some depth meter markers to the left side to give some clue as to their actual size.

[Image: tumblr_mpn3bb3aXx1sr87w9o1_r1_1280.png]

Tried a lot of stuff the last few weeks.

A spacecraft concept, no 3D ref and just pure 2D.

[Image: tumblr_mpy67jbQFu1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

Some experiments into folding phototextures into designs. Both pretty rough and need a clean up pass.

[Image: tumblr_mqd98e7WIJ1sr87w9o2_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_mqd98e7WIJ1sr87w9o3_1280.png]

And my first proper attempt at something fantasy.

[Image: tumblr_mqd966aq1T1sr87w9o1_500.png]

Those are some gorgeous robots man! Those vehicle concepts are so well structured too. I wana see more :D!!

Feel free to contact or follow me in these places aswell!

| DeviantArt
| Blog
| Facebook
Thanks matt!

Some thumbnail studies from last week:

[Image: tumblr_mqq46ayTcC1sr87w9o2_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_mqq46ayTcC1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

I've been trying to push for more muted and limited colours, mostly just because my taste is more subtle and i still feel i've got a very long way to go with making values talk first.

And some more sci-fi work for the portfolio.

[Image: tumblr_mqx8saA3Bg1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_mqs8bej7WT1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

After i finish cleaning up one last piece i'm gonna spend a while just studying a lot of the stuff i've noticed i'm insanely weak at or want to be stronger at in the last few weeks.

Things to study on (alongside value/colour/composition):

Faces
Mechanical joints
Paneling
Wheels
Patterns/deco
Guns
Optics
Engines
Radars/scanners
None-wedge helmets
PROPS! BUILDINGS!
Fabric

It's not a rigid list, but just something for me to look at when i've got some down time to pull up a bunch of reference and just work out the bugs/bad habits in my system regarding them. Lots of studies and exploration to come.

After posting up that list i looked at it and thought i should make some head way on it. Things are only scary so long as you don't understand them as far as i'm concerned, so i tackled the thing i'm most terrified of in terms of art and did a face study.

[Image: tumblr_mqzck6MMJV1sr87w9o1_1280.png]

I'm a terrible observational drawer, but i can already spot a few things to fix tomorrow especially around the mouth.

Been quite a while since i posted here, mostly been focusing on getting better

[Image: gsf_line_up_by_kwibl-d75ftjt.png]
[Image: marine_and_commander_by_kwibl-d74s4v2.png]
[Image: gsf_jeep_by_kwibl-d6u3qf2.png]

[Image: march_by_kwibl-d75ftnh.png]

And some sketches i'm working on right now

[Image: sketches_by_kwibl-d75fukw.png]

Dude, your fantasy chara in #13 is really cool, it has a sci fi feel to it's shapes. Really diggin' it, reminds me of some concept art on Destiny, but instead of giving sci fi a fantasy air it's just the opposite. Really cool sketchbook, keep it up.

(02-08-2014, 03:15 AM)Wils Wrote: Dude, your fantasy chara in #13 is really cool, it has a sci fi feel to it's shapes. Really diggin' it, reminds me of some concept art on Destiny, but instead of giving sci fi a fantasy air it's just the opposite. Really cool sketchbook, keep it up.

Thanks man! Fantasy is something i need to explore more, i still feel i'm too clumsy when it comes to fantasy stuff, but it's something i wanna keep hammering away at.

[Image: ranger_by_kwibl-d75kuwq.png]

This was a follow up to that one which i like a lot more, but i've never set aside any time to finish it.

your stuff is sick man! how is the art camp? was considering it but so expensive :'(