Tyger sketches
Nice form studies Tygerson - I love seeing wrapping lines when people do construction, they really help indicate the 3D form in my opinion.

That Instagram comic looks cool :) thanks for sharing and good luck with it!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I've done a bunch of pencil figures, but it's just more of the same.  This exercise from proko was interesting, with hinged joints.  I copied the examples, then tried a few of my hand.

I also liked the pumpkin video from proko.  It was fun to experiment with shape, color, and rotation without the pressure of getting anatomy right.  I need to do more simple things from imagination like this.  

Sketchbook

Doing simple stuff like that is great I highly reccomend doing more simple sketches and stuff from imagination, doing the linktober drawings really helped me loosen up with my imagination drawing and anatomy, I think we artists sometimes get a bit too stuck up on studying and long imagination projects.
Just getting quick stuff like this out feels really good, you don't need to commit much to them so if they fail it's no big deal and if they do turn out nicely it feels good.

please upload more photos i loved that barby photo it has amazing lighting, also keep at those scott robertson excercises they tend to take a while to stick in but when its fused with your usual workflow for doing personal stuff its great!, thx for you comment on my sb i love scrolling through yours

Dawckbook

Stream

When in doubt ask yourself, what would scooby do?
I love your sketchbook! Theres a great amount of variety in here and I would love to see what you're up to these days. More more more! :)
So I haven't been posting, because it's been endless pencil sketches, mostly proko anatomy.  I'm surprised at how much the Scott Robertson perspective study has helped with anatomy!  

I've started doing one ctrl+paint traditional lesson each week.  Again, the perspective study really helps, because after you carefully measure the larger shape from life, you can quickly estimate some parts using perspective.  Also, you can sanity check your drawing for diverging perspective lines.

If anyone wants to do one a week along with me, let me know, cause that would be so cool.  The "homework" is pretty doable, and I feel a difference in my life drawing skills already!  

This week I'm doing the "drawing spoons" lesson in the Traditional Drawing section here:  https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

Sketchbook

Eyy, thanks for dropping by my SB :D

Really like what you're doing here, I'll steal some of it if you don't mind =w=
As I said in my reply to you on my SB, I'll have to find some time to do those base stuff as well :o

Keep it up ! :)

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
yes tygerson keep on doing this! i recommend having fun with it too, once you feel more a bit more comfortable and even if youre not its nice to test your perspective knowledge with all the other stuff like composition adn the like, it doesnt have to take much time either, anyway you asked on my sb how do i get clean lines and really its about practice but also maybe some excercises i took from peter han lessons

heres a big chunk i found on YT for you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaif0PpNMas

i did his excercises a tooon a couple of years ago and i still do the quickyle every morning before i start even in digital, so i guess that helps me have more confidence when hitting curves but i actually consider my lines very messy! anyways keep at it dude

Dawckbook

Stream

Thanks guys!

I loved this lesson:  ctrlpaint.com>>Tradtional drawing>>Drawing spoons

It was gesture without fretting over the human figure.  I boldly tried stuff, succeeded or failed spectacularly, and quickly saw what worked and what didn't. Here are a few.

Progress wasn't continuous--there'd be worse ones, then better, then worse again, then better again.  Overall I think they were better by the end. 

Sketchbook

I advice you get familiar with how to draw arrow and how to draw leaf
Learning to draw arrow is not only useful but it will help you learn to follow the same curve
Learning how to draw leaf will help you draw plane that bend in space.

how to draw arrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDWqkW77yus
how to draw leaf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjD6l-P1IM&t=699s

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I'd recommend Eric Olson's stuff on perspective on New Masters Academy. It's behind a subscription but it does work great with the How to Draw book.
@Darktiste:  Yes! I totally want to try out some drawabox lessons!  I had no idea he did videos, too.

@Analogue: I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I've been tricked!  (In a good way)  

I usually avoid drawing from life.  But I've gone through the first several Ctrl+paint lessons, and suddenly realized I've drawn over 60 things from life!  Admittedly, 40 were boxes and spoons, but it's probably more than I've done ever.  

It's getting easier.  

Here's a few of the "contour" lesson.  Baby steps in imagination drawing too.  I drew one of my necklaces, then designed one based on it.  I should do that more.

Sketchbook

yeees when you start having fun with it i think you grow faster, while also studying i think thats the key love the neckace and the spoons from last post, keep at it man cant wait until youre ready to produce something more fleshed out! your patience will pay in dividends im sure!

Dawckbook

Stream

So on through the ctrlpaint traditional exercises...crosshatching.  Admittedly, this isn't technically crosshatching, but I had fun with it anyway.

I tried big light sources (a sky facing window), small/sharp light sources (bulb and sun), white surfaces, black surfaces, reflectors nearby...there's no end of possibilities!    

So here's a question.  Does anyone know where to find a good book or youtube videos or something for understanding value?  I've heard "How to Render" is good, but would that be a good choice for a beginner?

Sketchbook

(02-21-2018, 02:56 AM)Tygerson Wrote: So on through the ctrlpaint traditional exercises...crosshatching.  Admittedly, this isn't technically crosshatching, but I had fun with it anyway.

I tried big light sources (a sky facing window), small/sharp light sources (bulb and sun), white surfaces, black surfaces, reflectors nearby...there's no end of possibilities!    

So here's a question.  Does anyone know where to find a good book or youtube videos or something for understanding value?  I've heard "How to Render" is good, but would that be a good choice for a beginner?

I recommend mixing Drawbox exercise with scott robertson book :Drawing and sketching from imagination with scott robertson and later on adding some :Scott Robertson - How to Render - The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey Tygerson I thought I'd stop by since you've been giving me good advice. :)

The suggestion Darkiste recommended sounds really good (I will most likely give it ago myself at some point).

As far as any resources for understanding value, there's a course over at Schoolism called "Essentials of Realism" which covers value amongst over things and looks really good from the summary video.

I was going to sing up for a month and try the course myself since I also struggle with value.

I'll let you know what it's like since I was gonna start it beginning of March.

for understanding value, I've never tried it much myself but Sycra made something called the value game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zVFlMQZEs could be a good warm-up before getting into any value painting.

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure where to start.

Sketchbook

I'm a big fan of How to draw/render books, but it might be too techncal and overwelming, so make sure to draw smth fun in between studying :) And I think almost everyone here did some of Drawabox stuff, for me personally it was very insightful (it's not about values tho).

Today was "Face your fear day." 

For the longest time, I've done all sorts of quick people drawings, but would kinda think, "well, it's just a gesture/practice drawing--I could do MUCH better if I really tried."  I felt kinda safe.  

Today I decided to see where my real limit was.  No excuses.  I spent 30 minutes warming up with 60 second gesture drawings, then did 2 figure sketches from reference where I tried to get everything right.  I admit I fell short of what I thought I could do! But at least I have an honest starting point.

This is as good as it gets right now.  Where do I fall short the most? Gesture? Anatomy? Proportion? Something else?

Sketchbook