Iteration Man (12/15)
Hi, first of all, you've got some nice sketches. The the values of light and dark are correct. I recommend you to start with the basics - anatomy, perspective, composition and color theory, but keep drawing from imagination and notice that your drawings will become even better as you advance in learning the basics.
Hey, TWO PAGES. Perspective.

Two pages? madness.

Now shoot for 20.

(08-28-2013, 05:44 PM)Samszym Wrote: Two pages? madness.

Now shoot for 20.

Well now I have to.

Just got back from work, sketching to relax.

perspective doodlin'

Nice perspective, your character construction isn't shabby either, welcome to the forums :)

Workshop enthusiast
Blog!
Steam
Workshop blog
Strim
Real friendly in here. I stop bumping my thread for today, just wanted to post this.

Starting my atelier on Thursday, excited!

So I've just started my atelier schooling this past Thursday. My biggest weakness is that if I have no structure, I tend to be aimless in my art study. With this, I've got a guaranteed 6 hours Monday through Friday of focused work, which I'll try to supplement regularly. This thread will be the chronicle of my time and progress.

First up is some gesture. Some selected ones from the last two days. 1 min each. About 9 hours (!!!) in total, something like 500 gestures. I can see a bit of progress though.

Holy crap that sounds intense!!! Looking forward to seeing your progress, best of luck in your atelier!

comics, for fun.

Today's focus was on identifying the position of the three major masses in relation to one another. (Head, Torso, Hips). 40 Minutes each. The third was an hour.

Really digging the use of boxes, I like them too. Take some more looks into loomis and bridgman. i always tend to do some hardcore loomis stuff first, then applying it from imgination, then looking at bridgmans boxes, then doing those from imgination, then bridgmans muscles, then combining Everything I've learnt together. Try to doodle a lot in free time, perhaps on your way to school. It'd be cool if your lines would me more confident: less chicken scrating, also in your rendering. But, I must say, it's improving bit by bit as I look at your sb.

Also, super awesome that you're going to an atelier, I'm jelly, and too poor to attend one :p

Something that was tought me in the 6 life drawing lessons I ever had: look, look closely and compare. Stretch your arm out with your pencil too look how far or close everythi with each other. For example: hold your pencil vertically on top of the hand. Is it above the foot? The knee? Is this correct in your drawing?
Don't be afraid to erase what you've done before to correct a mistake that you noticed, even when it means deleting half of your drawing :p you'll learn from it, and probably get a better drawing!

Either way, just some of my thoughts, and I'm looking forward to the atelier stuff (:

Cheers!

Bargues'

Selection of 1 to 2 minute poses. Got a nice progression throughout the day.

Still lives and a drawing for a friend

The still lifes improve right before your eyes as you scroll down :O
cool stuff, seems like you're learning a lot.

Anybody have advice on gesture?

*cracks knuckles

first off, I recommend you get yourself a copy of Walt Stanchfield's Drawn To Life books. The man taught gesture classes at Disney and the books are collections of his handouts, all fantastic information on making a clear read and story in your poses. One of the things he mentions often is kinesthesia, sort of understanding how the pose your drawing feels so you can draw it better. You could try assuming the pose yourself before drawing it to get a batter idea.

Can't help much more than that, my critique of gestures is usually that people get caught up in details and contours, but you seem to be good at ignoring all that and going for the big shapes. Mike Matessi's FORCE book might be good to check out too.