Iteration Man (12/15)
It's that time of year again, I'm in the middle of trying to refocus myself for the coming year.

If anyone reading this could take the time to look at my work and suggest what I need to focus on to strengthen my work I would be grateful.

Attached Files Image(s)

First post of the new year, the "fruits" of my labor!

Attached Files Image(s)

glass

Attached Files Image(s)

It's been a long while, very busy, a lot of soul searching. Let's get back into it. Just warm ups and studies of basic form.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hellz yeah jumping right back into the grind! Nice to have you back :)
I'd say maybe go a little darker with the reflected light, when you squint your eyes it should still blend in with the shadow shape, not look light enough that it could be a halftone.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Dump.

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Keep doing those studies from life! Full color! They're diamonds in the rough waiting for you to keep chipping until they're at Christie's!

Focus.
I try to practice inking now and again.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'll try to update this thread an the reg from now on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice to hear it! Looking forward to seeing new stuff from you. Might want to pose smaller images, these are a bit hard to see. I usually make mine 700 pixels tall, something that lets you see the whole thing on your monitor without scrolling

Still figuring out heads

Attached Files Image(s)

nice nice nice!
Try to be very definite where you're putting the side plane, I was taught to have it right on the outer corner of the eye. As I'm sure you're learning, figuring out what position the whole head is in is super essential, once you've got that down you can start drawing the features and details in.

That little bit about the side plane has helped me immensely, thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

Like the title says, this sketchbook will document my course work at cgma. As of this post the classes are two weeks a way, but there's no reason to sit around with my thumb in butt, so I'm studying Perspective, and what I can dig up online of Dynamic Sketching.

One really helpful tidbit I found was that for the line exercises, make sure that you can SEE beyond your pen when repeating lines/arcs/whatever. It seems obvious now but it was a huge impediment to my line accuracy.

Anyway here's some early Dynamic Sketching exercises.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of now I’m trying to cultivate the habit of finding time to draw. With three jobs (it’s complicated) my schedule can blow up at a moments notice, making setting a specific time to draw improbable.

For now I got to work piece meal.

I’m starting to wrap my head around the idea of constructing forms, “drawing through”, seeing how the contour relates to the inner structure of form. I can already see the use, but my grasp isn’t that strong yet.

I’m sort of holding off on drawing figures for awhile, I don’t want bad habits mucking up my progress. I’m starting clean I guess.

Attached Files Image(s)

Still grinding, sucks that the class is a week away still.

Right now I’m alternating between Scott Robertson’s How To Draw, Perspective made Easy, and bits from the Dynamic sketch workshop.

The line exercises in Robertson’s book are great! I've seen a noticeable increase in my line quality. Ellipses are somewhat easier.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Sundry, i'm also going to be taking dynamic sketching next week, are you with Fabian Lacey?
great to see you are getting a head start, I still have to buy the different size pens and the copic markers. see you in class.

(07-17-2014, 08:48 AM)Richie Wrote: Hi Sundry, i'm also going to be taking dynamic sketching next week, are you with Fabian Lacey?
great to see you are getting a head start, I still have to buy the different size pens and the copic markers. see you in class.

I'm actually in Johnson Truong's class, but if you want to share skype or something, we could still be "classmates", if you'd like.