Kaffer's sketches & doodles
quick photo study (1,5 hrs ) for today to warm up..

Today's environment studies, I think I am more comfortable in natural shapes, but manmade landscapes are still a problem.. any help is much appreciated

Photo-study of an old myanmarian woman with tattooed face, experimenting with underpainting this time...

Hey Kaffer, some nice work here. Particularly like that photostudy of the blonde woman. If you don't mind the crit I would say watch those sharp edges on these last pieces. The mountain and city skylines and woman's head have a too crisp edge, if that makes sense; it's like you can see the layer separation. As things recede or go into shadow soften the edges a little. Hope that's of some use.

Yep, definitely makes sense.. Thx for the feedback, man! :)

Nice blocking and simplification work on those portraits! Gonna suggest some hardcore perspective study for that manmade stuff :) It'll definitely help you understand what you're looking at a little better and will strengthen your other landscapes too

Thx man! Yeah, I saw that coming my way.. what do you suggest as perspective study, maybe a train or other vehicle (Feng Zhu-style) or maybe drawing perspective in a photo?... I'm still kinda unclear on what would work the best..

Really like how the expression of they myanmarian woman turned out! You captured such a lovely warmth and and friendliness. Not sure about the speckled texture on her skin, but it just looks like you were experimenting, so no worries.

Sketchbook

Thx Tygerson! Her face was tattooed on the original ref. photo, it was a lot more detailed pattern but I didn't want that to be the focus, so I did a more simple tat. I'm glad you said I captured her expression, that was my goal! :) Cheers

Good stuff keep at it man.

Thx man! :)

A movie-frame study: (30 min each)

Some gestures:

and a character study from a '50s mugshot photo

C&C welcome!

Hello kaffer's cheers for checking out my sketchbook, like your sketch book some nice enviro study's you got here just started doing some my self ,them 50's mug shot looks great too,
keep it up:D
Thx man! :) Keep'em up!

Ah yes, love seeing me some gestures and color studies! I'm not so good at perspective myself, but I got a lot out of Scott Robertson's teachings on his Gnomon DVDs and he has a few awesome examples of manmade perspective drawing on his youtube channel (in case you aren't already subscribed):
https://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobert...ign/videos

Whenever I draw something manmade I also use the guidelines in Photoshop along with the line and polygon tools to establish where the horizon and vanishing points are so I'm not eyeballing stuff like buildings or machinery (stole this from watching Hannes' livestream). Sycra also explains it well here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CSnRRO8wRk

Wow, lots of stuff to inhale.. :D Yeah I saw Scott Robertson's things (and am subscribed) but I haven't seen the Sycra-thing, that should be an enormous help.. Thx for the tip!!

Today's character study - everyone's favorite blood drenched viking leader, Ragnar Lothbrok! :) C&C welcome as usual!

Hey thanks for checking out my sketchbook man,
Really like your portrait's, that last one on the second page wow just epic, them 50's mugshot's are also really cool.

Hey, thx man! :)

THanks for visiting my SB.

You really nailed lighting and 3D form on the last portrait, though the forms are a little off in placement. Make sure to take into account the curve of the teeth underneath the lips and the thickness of the cheeks below the beard. But seriously man, that Ragnar is a step above. (Cant wait for the new season n___n )