Darktiste Sketchbook
looks great, that Reilly stuff really works. If you could work these sets into your schedule as a regular thing, all you gotta do is complete them (and do some analysis on your results) and then in a few months look back at how far you've come ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(12-09-2020, 10:20 AM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: looks great, that Reilly stuff really works. If you could work these sets into your schedule as a regular thing, all you gotta do is complete them (and do some analysis on your results) and then in a few months look back at how far you've come ^^
Yeah i want to start getting into monthly shedule maybe it not as interesting as not knowing what your gonna be doing next but at the same time i think i need that structure more than ever it bit hard for me to have that structure and work in the advise into that but i will eventually get better at it i believe.Thank for the encouragement buddy.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Good on you for starting.
Suggestions: Stay away from using stick figures with no suggestion of form, even for the shortest drawings, eve if you are managing to describe the general action. This is because they don't make good scaffolding to build on top of when you have more time. The goal isn't to rush to a "final" in quickest most comfortable way possible for you. Doesn't even really matter if you don't get a whole figure everytime , but learn to develop the scaffold well. Speed And quality comes with experience. Even for the 30s ones try not to feel rushed. Work methodically with whatever abstraction method you are practicing at the time.

The Reilly figure method if you're going to keep trying uses tapered "tubes" for the initial limb gestures. YouTube some reilly method demos called Quicksketch or gesture. Proko, Tim Gula, Ron Lemen, Bradwynn Jones, and E Gist on Watts channel have video demos. They aren't all explaining in detail but it's helpful to watch different processes to try if you aren't willing to try any actual instructional courses.
One part of Lemen's 4 vid series, they all have some value. https://youtu.be/FL3g0x0sBf4
Here's Eric's one https://youtu.be/qVx1cHBlYgU. Can get a lot out of just speeding up the video and watching a process, he also talks about relevance of these exercises to concept art, fashion, costume, creature etc.

Get used to seeing lines of action that connect through limbs and torso if they are there and draw them in connected swoops where it makes sense. This will help you see larger rhythms and unify your figures. You don't have to separate each limb in space all the time.
Try and be a bit looser with your drawing arm and ghosting or lightly drawing a few lines isn't a bad thing. Is your tablet a small size perhaps? Do you draw with your wrist or whole arm?

Change your brush settings to something that varies the size and/or flow/opacity with pressure. The solid single size lines don't look great and you actually want a taper to your strokes so you can work lightly for guides but also quickly imply depth or form turn simply with pressure control of your hand in one stroke. Better yet, use pencil, charcoal or ballpoint, it's built into the hardware.

The 10 min ones. Generally a it's a bad habit when learning to leave out hands and feet consistently. Learn some simplified abstractions for them and give them a go. In general The Reilly abstractions are guides. They are scaffolding to then lay on the anatomy or clothes on top of. The point isn't to keep or even draw all the lines of the rhythms but to use them where it makes sense for the pose. With pressure sensitivity you can even draw them light and then draw over again with the darker "final" lines of the figure or costume
Good start on the gesture drawing ! if you have a tablet, use pen pressure to create some lineweight, it's quite important if you want to better draw gesture and figures, it can indicate depth, light/shadows, etc, very powerful tool to use ! i'd suggest instead of sketching the maniquin, to try and simplify big body shapes, like the torso can be an egg or a cylinder, the pelvis a box ! Gesture is something quite elusive if you don't know where to look and how to simplify what you see ! Keep it up !
-Who
Thank you for the critic i will be revisiting gesture at the end of december i am shifting my focus more heavly toward costume weapon and prop design because this seem to be the core of my interest now that i have developped a better sense of my interest.

-wld.89
Not sure if you meant to say to do manquin or not.

My Sketchbook
I made some notes that I hope can help you :

[Image: gesture-2x30sec-2x2m.png]
[Image: gesture-4x2m-p1.png]
[Image: gesture-4x2m-p3-1.png]

It doesn't matter if you are making a 30 second or 30 minute drawing you should always draw the same way don't worry about finishing the drawing in the shortest possible time the goal is to develop the process

[Image: 04.png]
-VitorCardoso
Thank for the imput and the great amount of lenght you gone to explain a few principle.

I certainly see that there seem to be a tendency for ball like shape in the more looser one(I assume they are the shorter one)there also seem to be an emphasis on indicating roundness with curve but instead of finishing the form it you simple indicate the side of the form that we would see.

Moving toward longer pose(5min) there seem to be a more full geometric shape showing such as egg,cylinder ,box for for the pelvis.

For the 10min pose you now seem to include concept such as overlap this time breaking the c s i into smaller section.You also start to indicate feature as more than simple indication.

One thing i have to do for the future gesture is to include a mark for everyone of them so to indicate what were the lenght of time of those session.

For the comment about developping a process i don't fully agree with the idea that one should ''always'' draw the same way.For someone like me it is necessary to atleast develop a construction method but i think it should be said that one should explore construction method also i think what you meant is try to settle for one construction technique as to master it.Correct me if i am wrong.

My Sketchbook
Quote:For the comment about developping a process i don't fully agree with the idea that one should ''always'' draw the same way.For someone like me it is necessary to atleast develop a construction method but i think it should be said that one should explore construction method also i think what you meant is try to settle for one construction technique as to master it.Correct me if i am wrong.

What Vitor and I both mean and have said is this :  the process you practice should ideally be started and followed whether you have 30 seconds or 3 hours. Think about it. The less time you have over all, you will spend the majority of that time on the main rhythms and weight distribution of the pose, and maybe beginning to indicate a few important forms (head, ribcage/torso, basic indication of limbs). These are the fundamentals of capturing the pose. This should always be done and practiced, and so the starting of any figure drawing is essentially the same no matter how much time you will spend on it. 

The more time you have obviously, the more you can refine and depict details of the anatomy and costuming on top of the framework. Pretty self explanatory. If you use a lazy method such as the overly simplified stick man drawings for beginning your drawings , really you are simply choosing to do so to feel like you "completed" something in that time, when actually they don't help you to draw a longer drawing directly from/on top of. We wouldn't have to tell you this, if you actually learned from people who teach. This is why I keep suggesting you pay for some formal instruction that forces you to work on an integrated process to begin with, as it will be much more efficient for you to finally actually understand these very very basic beginner level ideas.

With stick figures you are really not allowing yourself to be efficient and are practicing bad habits when it comes to starting any pose. Gestural drawings aren't something to be separated out as a process, they are literally just shorter figure drawings, using whatever abstraction process or method you are wanting to practice.

Victor gave some nice examples of a gestural framework that can be worked on top of given more time. Look at the difference between his framework and yours for the shorter drawings. Whose do you think would be easier to develop a longer more accurate drawing off with less redrawing? 

The point isn't to only find and use one single method forever. You can try different figure abstraction processes throughout all lengths of a figure drawing and eventually you will find what you prefer to use. 
I personally find Reilly figure rhythms very useful mostly for the very beginning but then follow a very different, form and shadow mapping amalgamated process that is a mix of my own preferences built up over lots of experience and practice with different methods. Abstraction methods are simply models to use as one begins to learn and feel which ones are more personally useful. 

But in general, Stickman = bad.  No decent figure drawing technique I've ever seen has recommended using stickfigures. Usually it's done by people who don't really understand the figure drawing process, are intimidated by short time limits, or aren't concerned with how to draw figures well at all.
(12-20-2020, 07:21 AM)Who Wrote:
Quote:For the comment about developping a process i don't fully agree with the idea that one should ''always'' draw the same way.For someone like me it is necessary to atleast develop a construction method but i think it should be said that one should explore construction method also i think what you meant is try to settle for one construction technique as to master it.Correct me if i am wrong.

What Vitor and I both mean and have said is this :  the process you practice should ideally be started and followed whether you have 30 seconds or 3 hours. Think about it. The less time you have over all, you will spend the majority of that time on the main rhythms and weight distribution of the pose, and maybe beginning to indicate a few important forms (head, ribcage/torso, basic indication of limbs). These are the fundamentals of capturing the pose. This should always be done and practiced, and so the starting of any figure drawing is essentially the same no matter how much time you will spend on it. 

The more time you have obviously, the more you can refine and depict details of the anatomy and costuming on top of the framework. Pretty self explanatory. If you use a lazy method such as the overly simplified stick man drawings for beginning your drawings , really you are simply choosing to do so to feel like you "completed" something in that time, when actually they don't help you to draw a longer drawing directly from/on top of. We wouldn't have to tell you this, if you actually learned from people who teach. This is why I keep suggesting you pay for some formal instruction that forces you to work on an integrated process to begin with, as it will be much more efficient for you to finally actually understand these very very basic beginner level ideas.

With stick figures you are really not allowing yourself to be efficient and are practicing bad habits when it comes to starting any pose. Gestural drawings aren't something to be separated out as a process, they are literally just shorter figure drawings, using whatever abstraction process or method you are wanting to practice.

Victor gave some nice examples of a gestural framework that can be worked on top of given more time. Look at the difference between his framework and yours for the shorter drawings. Whose do you think would be easier to develop a longer more accurate drawing off with less redrawing? 

The point isn't to only find and use one single method forever. You can try different figure abstraction processes throughout all lengths of a figure drawing and eventually you will find what you prefer to use. 
I personally find Reilly figure rhythms very useful mostly for the very beginning but then follow a very different, form and shadow mapping amalgamated process that is a mix of my own preferences built up over lots of experience and practice with different methods. Abstraction methods are simply models to use as one begins to learn and feel which ones are more personally useful. 

But in general, Stickman = bad.  No decent figure drawing technique I've ever seen has recommended using stickfigures. Usually it's done by people who don't really understand the figure drawing process, are intimidated by short time limits, or aren't concerned with how to draw figures well at all.
Thank for the clarification and merry chrismas to you.

My Sketchbook
Fresh new year so i am starting fresh.
It good to be back i took a pause recently to finish the years and take sometime to relax because i think it important to put self care before art sometime.Trying to my push my self is not always the best thing but it a necessary exercise that put me closer to my goal which is something that is enjoyable for the most part aslong as the self doubt doesn't show it ugly face.

So now back to the interesting part.

Here a few backpack idea

And trying new approch to my linework.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The bags look really good! It's great to see you experimenting and not doing things so symmetrical/front facing. I'm really digging this new direction with your lineart! Keep going!
(01-12-2021, 04:27 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: The bags look really good! It's great to see you experimenting and not doing things so symmetrical/front facing. I'm really digging this new direction with your lineart! Keep going!
Thank. I also want to try to work with theme and also create set of item instead of just single item.For example the backpack with a few other item going out from and or attach to the backpack i think it just add that extra ''look at me factor'' you need when it come to unanimated object.

My Sketchbook
hey man, have you seen the 'How to think when you draw' tutorials? There's a ton of them on all kinds of props. Good for analytical approaches (like mine, and maybe yours) but with some spontaneity too.

http://theetheringtonbrothers.blogspot.c...-draw.html

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(01-14-2021, 01:27 AM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: hey man, have you seen the 'How to think when you draw' tutorials? There's a ton of them on all kinds of props. Good for analytical approaches (like mine, and maybe yours) but with some spontaneity too.

http://theetheringtonbrothers.blogspot.c...-draw.html
Yeah i save alot of them actually but if you have some suggestion send me a email with link to those you want me to take a look at.

My Sketchbook
A few new design for mileage and expanding my visual library.
1.Barrel
2.Bell

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The new drawings look good! For some advice and guidelines for when it comes to wear-and-tear and general storytelling in props, I advise you to look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppOU2y1...pedNormals

It's about 3D, but they go into good fundamentals to keep in mind when using storytelling in your prop design.

Keep up the good work!

(01-14-2021, 06:07 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: The new drawings look good! For some advice and guidelines for when it comes to wear-and-tear and general storytelling in props, I advise you to look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppOU2y1...pedNormals

It's about 3D, but they go into good fundamentals to keep in mind when using storytelling in your prop design.

Keep up the good work!
If get anything out of looking back at what i did. I think one of the error i did is making most of my aging effect to similar in bruze size there should be a wielder range of scratching mark.I also think some denthing could have been added it just doubt of being able to realisticly pull it of in the amount of time i gave myself. I was doing those under 10min each as a exercise to work under crush time.I am not gonna lie i still have room for improvement even if i know different aging effect it doesn't mean necessarly that i link it with some kind of story telling.I think my issue in term of story telling is that i assume if i put aging randomly there a story that automatically get generate out of it i don't know how i can get over this way of think exept making my storytelling deliberate which require more effort maybe the result are better but i have to try to be more deliberate to know that.

For me storytelling is more something about making each thing in the drawing fit in it context since most of the image i am making are not necessarily set in a define universe they leak this context which unite them.I will try to do more design base on brief but i also like to draw really generic stuff so that i can have more drawing done in a drawing session without having to over think every design.I could totally be more deliberate and i will do that once i feel like i have a story to tell not that i need to wait for inspiration or anything i could totally force myself into storytelling to if i want to pratice storytelling.

Right now i am trying to focus more on visual library expansion and some principle of design but i am not there yet in term of being consciously trying to apply those principle to my design.I don't think i can name all the principle of design by memory so i think that definitevely something i will have to drill into my brain so i can stop relying on my note so that i don't forget everytime.

Thank for caring.

My Sketchbook
Hey Darktiste - nice going with the visual library studies - always good to expand your visual library - it surprising how much I assume I know what an object looks like until I have to sit down to draw it and then I realise I haven't got a clue!

One question - you ever consider varying your line weight a bit? Do you have pressure sensitivity?

Keep it going anyway dude!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(01-15-2021, 07:40 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey Darktiste - nice going with the visual library studies - always good to expand your visual library - it surprising how much I assume I know what an object looks like until I have to sit down to draw it and then I realise I haven't got a clue!

One question - you ever consider varying your line weight a bit?  Do you have pressure sensitivity?

Keep it going anyway dude!
Not in a sketch but i do sometime work in some line weight you can go back to page 38 of my sketchbook and check some of my character drawing they have that concept there.

My Sketchbook
A few new design for mileage and expanding my visual library.
1.Bell final pick and render
2.Bottle silhouette chanllege was 20 under 60min scored 15 in 60min

I think next i want to go back to using no line at all i want to get better at organizing my layers also.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook