Darktiste Sketchbook
I present the cursed saber of the soul thirst

It feed on it user blood and collect the soul of it previous user who are damn to be bound to the saber. There soul are trap into the soulstone that decorate it pommel. Those soul can be use as additional eye since they are psychically link with the wearer via the soulstone. Making it a tactical weapon of choose at the small cost of one soul for the one crazy enough to use this cursed blade

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
The last sword from my take on the swordtemper challenge.The experience was interesting because it shown me that complexity and style play a big role in time management.I manage to do half of what i thought i could do in the time i allocated for this challenge but i am still proud of how consistent i been recently so i think i am gonna work on consistency and than progress toward speed.

I present the Sword of the final judgement.

It a animated blade which doesn't require you to hold it it control by those with a pure hearth only and any unholy being who come in contact with the bless blade is instantly vaporize.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Great work on the sword designs, I feel they are all indeed very solid throughout. Hope to see more of them fleshed out more in 3D!

Cg-Yes i am dusting off my 3d at the moment just to balance thing out i made the master sword in an other 3d program so i don't want to make to much of the same thing and sword are very easy to do once you know some of the feature. I am trying to make project that are practical and that can teach me more about how to make my workflow faster and when i show 3d stuff it more as a filler and note to myself of how far i came then what i want to present i am a concept artist and i want to renforce that aspect in my work because something i think i am just to invested in going the extra mile when i should be moving on. I should be an idea factory mostly.

The problem with concept art is setting limit to how far you will explore idea and that why sometime it easier to explore one idea to far than not knowing when to stop iterating on an idea.

Here the last 3d model i did following a tutorial 

I think i am reaching an intermediary level in blender right now there isn't much thing i still want to learn anymore now it more about finding way to simplifying the process and thinking smart.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Great work as always, some very solid modelling there!

You're 3D stuff is great! I really wish I had the patience for this. It's such a laborious process. Is this Blender? Or something else?

(10-16-2022, 05:46 AM)Damien Levs Wrote: You're 3D stuff is great! I really wish I had the patience for this. It's such a laborious process. Is this Blender? Or something else?

It blender 

It like any skill it take time to get use to the process that why it can be hard to develop the thinking that allow the work to flow smoothly. If you are looking to relax i find it not as relaxing as drawing(i am kinda  bias i started drawing before i did 3d) for sure but it a good tool to learn to plan a head i think it make you anticipate more so that you can make it enjoyable and quicker as it can be time consuming if you don't plan a heead.Also i don't see any reason as to why someone would not benefit for picking this tool except maybe that you can't do it all at once and it require a time investment and you need to use the tool for it to be worth the investment.Personally i am very interest in time saving and i think it a great tool for composition and lighting in particular if i think of something you might get a benefit out of it.Since you can sit in space you can use the camera to find composition more on the fly but i don't discard that planning composition before hand is also great it just make it even easier to move element aslong as you have something to represent it in space.

My Sketchbook
Heya Dark. That lamp looks pretty cool. I mess around in Blender once in a while and think I should do a lot more of that!

I don't know how i feel this i tried to use the warp tool.Maybe it was just the presentation that make it look flat so i tried an other variation.

Those are more like idea of concept with no lightining which i suppose create that very flat looking result.That interesting to note. But not sure it work for something you want to feel as around volume.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Great work, the flat values help emphasize the impressive designs so I feel that it works in your favor here!

I made a couple of hammer

Here a small description for each of them with the general intention

The intent was to create a hammer that could be use by an angel so something abit more epic.I kept the amount of detail fairly low as i didn't wanted to spend a ton of time on design complex decorative element.I mainly focus on the magical individuality of each hammer as the selling point

1.This hammer once wield create a field of light around the wielder that deflect spell.It power come from a fragment of light crystal.

2.This gold head hammer blind the user foe but it doesn't affect it user.No need for torch anymore when you got a portable sun !!

3.This multicolored hammer create rainbowe mirage which make it user very hard to hit as a bonus it give the user the ablity to fly

4.The head of this hammer is made out of a lightning stone and at it center rest a floating gem of focus to absord the charge of the stone.

5.This hammer might seem small but do not fool yourself this hammer paralyze anything it touch even creature immune to lightning because it affect the aura not the physical body.

6.This hammer phase in from an other dimension as is it user word manifest it out of thin air.This weapon cannot be destroy unless it destroy on it plane of origin.

Let me know if you have any favorite.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste, I must say Im pretty impressed by your ideas. Reading through the descriptions of hammers I almost had an illustration in mind for each of them. The portable sun might be my favorite. Silhouette presentation is definitely better on lighter background and your colors could have a little more harmony and thought put into them, it feels a little sloppy to me. But they sure look different, unique and distinguishable. A little note on the pouches, I like them a lot, but Im pretty sure they feel flat because the knot designs dont follow the perspective. Warp tool isnt going to save you here so you gotta do it the right way and draw it in perspective or shade it and make the designs disappear in shadow on the edges so you dont see it. Being fast and efficient seems to be a priority to you but it shows in your work and Im not sure its worth going for speed over quality. Hope to see more and get to know you more. For now, happy holidays to you!

(12-22-2022, 10:42 PM)Cruptic Wrote: Hey darktiste, I must say Im pretty impressed by your ideas. Reading through the descriptions of hammers I almost had an illustration in mind for each of them. The portable sun might be my favorite. Silhouette presentation is definitely better on lighter background and your colors could have a little more harmony and thought put into them, it feels a little sloppy to me. But they sure look different, unique and distinguishable. A little note on the pouches, I like them a lot, but Im pretty sure they feel flat because the knot designs dont follow the perspective. Warp tool isnt going to save you here so you gotta do it the right way and draw it in perspective or shade it and make the designs disappear in shadow on the edges so you dont see it. Being fast and efficient seems to be a priority to you but it shows in your work and Im not sure its worth going for speed over quality. Hope to see more and get to know you more. For now, happy holidays to you!

Thank for the feed back as far as color i am not sure what you would suggest i do more i was already going for harmony to a certain extent since those are variation on a angelic hammer.

For the little bag the error i made was to create something that as volume rather what i am more focus on which is design i should have kept them almost like a flat bag.

The two last work are more intermediary work which is to say they are intended to be rather simple to save time and lock on the design of a ''fictious client'' so normally after this stage i would add the perspective that why there wan't really perspective bake into them since they are more orthographic but i fail since in a orthographic even ellipse would look flat.So those bag are not true orthographic and that why i feel it was not well excuted.

Well i certainly want to have interesting design it serve me nothing to rush but at the same time i am trying to figure out how much rendering seem resonable for each since it mock up project it can be forever so i have to imagine somewhat of a deadline which i would like to make more concrete than just think oh i gotta rush... setting a deadline is nice but sometime you realize how little you understand about how certain thing take time so it certainly something i have to get more in touch if i want to work at a professional level.

My Sketchbook
I see what you're saying about the orthographic view, like if you're just trying to design the pattern of the bag, basically. But it kinda depends on where you are in the process of designing something, and what it's for, though. Because in a certain pipeline I could see stuff at this stage being even sloppier, and rough, since you're just trying to sell and idea, that either could be agreed upon, or that someone else could 3D model. And in that case it's not about exactly what knot is on a bag, or if it's perfectly in perspective, but rather just "what is cool?", "what adds interest or content to this world we are making?". And in that case, I think your designs would look quite different. Like I would google search 'medieval celtic coin purse', that kind of thing and get ideas.

Most of them are stuff people made on Etsy, but that's fine. I'm seeing some that are thick leather and are gathered, making pleats, which is kind of cool.
This one is a real artifact I guess. It has like little rivets along the edge and it's flat, which I wouldn't have thought of. And the rope looks cool.
I think for one of my projects I'd be more interested in the overall style of the bag first, and I'd then experiment with painting a knot pattern on as like leather carving, or maybe it could be painted on, or put on in metal studs, like in the second example. Your bags looks pretty nice, honestly. I don't have any issues with the drawing. There's not a ton of design, there though. Like i'm not seeing something that looks referenced and really explored.

But there's different types of games. And there probably is one with 2D art more like what you have, where the actual shape and construction of the bag doesn't matter, but the knot decoration on it does. So I'm not saying it's wrong. But yeah, I don't know, it depends entirely on what you're trying to do. It might take your stuff to the next level to actually pick out a game and pretend you are designing a weapon or prop that will actually be in it. For me, I'm mostly doing illustrations, but I know how I design things, and use reference, really changes when it's actually for something in particular, rather than a vague idea of like "maybe this could be for something".

Well i suppose i could try a bit of matte painting on a underlayer will i paint over certain area to keep it more simplified i think that an aspect that also depend on the level of game being made for example indie as more flat design with low texture will triple AAA as more matte painted concept art because it higher detail.I would say i am more of a disciple of cool and simple but effective design.Nintendo come to mind not that any of my work as much of a japanese influence.

Thank for the input Joseph.

My Sketchbook
(12-23-2022, 04:46 PM)darktiste Wrote: Well i suppose i could try a bit of matte painting on a underlayer will i paint over certain area to keep it more simplified i think that an aspect that also depend on the level of game being made for example indie as more flat design with low texture will triple AAA as more matte painted concept art because it higher detail.I would say i am more of a disciple of cool and simple but effective design.Nintendo come to mind not that any of my work as much of a japanese influence.

Yeah. there's lots of games that have different kinds of stylized graphics. so the style of how you're depicting things isn't necessarily an issue, I don't think it needs to be super textured or detailed. Just clear and intentional. With your AAA games, the concept artists are making assets for a 3D modeler to create, basically. So they are trying to explain visually the form and material of each thing, and obviously, design it to look cool or drive a story.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, though. I've just been watching some of Feng Zhu's fzdschool videos on youtube, I think they are really good lessons about how the game industry works, and design concepts in general. You might be interested if you aren't familiar yet! But they do a lot of assignments that are not matte painted or rendered, but they will draw them clearly from different angles, and indicate the texture in some way.

(12-24-2022, 02:21 AM)JosephCow Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 04:46 PM)darktiste Wrote: Well i suppose i could try a bit of matte painting on a underlayer will i paint over certain area to keep it more simplified i think that an aspect that also depend on the level of game being made for example indie as more flat design with low texture will triple AAA as more matte painted concept art because it higher detail.I would say i am more of a disciple of cool and simple but effective design.Nintendo come to mind not that any of my work as much of a japanese influence.

Yeah. there's lots of games that have different kinds of stylized graphics. so the style of how you're depicting things isn't necessarily an issue, I don't think it needs to be super textured or detailed. Just clear and intentional. With your AAA games, the concept artists are making assets for a 3D modeler to create, basically. So they are trying to explain visually the form and material of each thing, and obviously, design it to look cool or drive a story.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, though. I've just been watching some of Feng Zhu's fzdschool videos on youtube, I think they are really good lessons about how the game industry works, and design concepts in general. You might be interested if you aren't familiar yet! But they do a lot of assignments that are not matte painted or rendered, but they will draw them clearly from different angles, and indicate the texture in some way.
Feng zhu is very solid and i keep coming back to is video but you seem to know more than you think so don't bash yourself. But i would say Feng zhu stuff as a high level of detail so i think he aim more toward AAA.

I also want to do more functional call out drawing but i am not sure how to approch it yet they seem fun and can diversify my skillset.

My Sketchbook
Quote: Feng zhu is very solid and i keep coming back to is video but you seem to know more than you think so don't bash yourself. But i would say Feng zhu stuff as a high level of detail so i think he aim more toward AAA.

I also want to do more functional call out drawing but i am not sure how to approch it yet they seem fun and can diversify my skillset.

I'm not in the business of producing concepts for games, so I wouldn't know exactly how everything should be drawn, and rendered and presented. But hopefully my ideas about design itself are at least good food for thought. 

Yeah, he definitely is geared towards like your Witcher, cyberpunk etc. big, realistically rendered 3D games. I think it would be cool to do a callout drawing, it would definitely push your designs that much further.

Hey Dark — the bags and hammers are looking good.

The blue swoopy area on number 3 seems unfinished — ie: without the description no one would know what that represents — but with that aside — I think that one is my favorite

(12-30-2022, 10:03 AM)Jephyr Wrote: Hey Dark — the bags and hammers are looking good. 

The blue swoopy area on number 3 seems unfinished — ie: without the description no one would know what that represents — but with that aside — I think that one is my favorite

That why there concept not everything work all the time.Thank for the feedback.

My Sketchbook