Darktiste Sketchbook
Loving the hammer designs, I feel they all work well. Nice and clean as well, they read beautifully!

(01-03-2023, 12:53 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Loving the hammer designs, I feel they all work well.  Nice and clean as well, they read beautifully!
Very glad to hear to me they look boring maybe i am just over saturated with amazing art i will try to be kind to myself as you did to me.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
A little sneak peak into my process.

Had a bit of trouble with the grip i couldn't get the result i wanted and i had to move on not to waste to much time figuring this out.

The head was particularly troublesome and i have yet to figure out how i am gonna deal with the fissure all over the head surface but it shouldn't be to hard in my opinion.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
W.I.P 

I think it coming along nicely but i feel like it kinda hard to understand what going on in the middle atm and thing still need more value to properly feel volumetric.Of course further render of stone material and additional effect will help the piece greatly.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Yeah the lines or pathways in the middle are kind of confusing, but looks really cool!

(01-13-2023, 01:48 PM)JosephCow Wrote: Yeah the lines or pathways in the middle are kind of confusing, but looks really cool!

Thank now i am even more existed to share the result with yall!

My Sketchbook
I think this is the end of the road on this one would love to know what you think or suggest.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste, long time no see.
The directional lighting on the cracks seems off, making it hard to read the volumes.
Just an idea: Tune down external lighting and have the blue from the cracks illuminate the edges (just like you did on the central hole), also the lightning bolts would make some awesome lighting on the head and handle of the hammer.

(01-15-2023, 08:19 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Hey darktiste, long time no see.
The directional lighting on the cracks seems off, making it hard to read the volumes.
Just an idea: Tune down external lighting and have the blue from the cracks illuminate the edges (just like you did on the central hole), also the lightning bolts would make some awesome lighting on the head and handle of the hammer.

It seem one of my layers was turn off or it would read as intented thank for spotting that.Might add the lightining on the handle i am not necessarly going for realism but rather a stylize lightning and i want the head to be where people look.

Thank for the input Leo

My Sketchbook
I think it looks great, love the addition of lighting on the hammer, really gives it so much more life. Very dynamic image overall!

(01-19-2023, 04:35 AM)cgmythology Wrote: I think it looks great, love the addition of lighting on the hammer, really gives it so much more life.  Very dynamic image overall!

I had in mind a bit of a blur effect but if it already feel very dynamic i am not sure it would be necessary.

I am working on dual sword now.But i gotta go revise my principle to make them more part of my process.

Thank for passing by always appreciated

My Sketchbook
I finish a serie of 6 silhouette but i feel like they don't have a very strong personality.

It suppose to be dual sword meaning a two bladed sword

i suppose i should probably set my eye for an other round of silhouette what do you guy think?

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(01-15-2023, 09:04 AM)darktiste Wrote: (...) i am not necessarly going for realism but rather a stylize lightning and i want the head to be where people look.

Understood. I wasn't aiming for realism either, just giving the blue glow more presence (for the eye to focus on the hammer head, same as you).

(01-20-2023, 01:07 PM)darktiste Wrote: I finish a serie of 6 silhouette but i feel like they don't have a very strong personality.

The cow-skull shaped one looks original to me - it being practical to wield is another question.

Leo ki -yeah sometime original doesn't always end up as practical. It a hard balance between cool factor and practicality. Those weapon are not design for the novice in mind but a rather specialize unit.They are meant to be use by flying unit flying into combat slicing on both side with a heavy blade to break wooden shield in a charge and than rapidly moving out of combat. Imagine one of those weapon on both hand it require a very skill person to make the most out of those weapon.

My Sketchbook
A double sword in *each* hand all the while flying? Terrific. A ten-year practice and training indeed.

(01-22-2023, 12:36 PM)Leo Ki Wrote: A double sword in *each* hand all the while flying? Terrific. A ten-year practice and training indeed.

It because it wield by planar angel and 10 years training is nothing if you live in a place where time goes at a different rate(time relativity) and they have very long life span so it to expect that they would be exceptionally masterful warrior.Just some lore behind the weapon wielder...it feel kinda wierd to describe the user rather than the weapon but sometime design decision demand more context which i don't necessarly give since it would be more writing and less of just let see what as the cool factor to it if i say i am trying to do this or that i think it kinda kill the cool factor since what i am after is cool shape and than functionality i can always fix cool to be more functional and i can probably also improve functional stuff to be cooler but i think i work more from cool to function in general.There is a reason to every design it just kinda weird and new to try to justify those decision but i think it where i should be heading in all honest.

I think i will try to give more detail about the what,who, when, where, in the future so it as more of the reasoning behind the design rather than just say the subject matter.I also think people really like it when i evoke picture throught description they really like and they seem to love to see how it translate into a picture so i don't think it hurt it just take time to get use to being less focus on the art and being more open with the design decision and i guess it because i don't like second guessing those design decision that i haven't been more open until now but ultimately that doesn't make for better design if i am honest with myself.

My Sketchbook
Thank you for the setting behind the object. I'm always interested in backstories but I understand that you may want to dissociate things in some circumstances. When going full targeted design, all and any connected bits of information matter though, all the way back to when the weapon got invented and refined.

I like them, I think most of them have very interesting silhouettes and they read very clearly, which is important. My personal favorite is the 4th one (the 2nd on the 2nd column) as I feel it's the most interesting and unique. Will you develop this in 3D?

Keep up the great work and thanks for your input on my sketchbook, your feedback is always very constructive and helpful so I'm very grateful!

(01-25-2023, 03:39 AM)cgmythology Wrote: I like them, I think most of them have very interesting silhouettes and they read very clearly, which is important.  My personal favorite is the 4th one (the 2nd on the 2nd column) as I feel it's the most interesting and unique.  Will you develop this in 3D? 

Keep up the great work and thanks for your input on my sketchbook, your feedback is always very constructive and helpful so I'm very grateful!

Well i am alway looking to push a little bit my skill to the next level i certainly feel like it the design with that pose the most challenge to imagine in 3d but i feel like this is so clearly the only design that seem to stand out that i have to try to make a case for the other design aswell not that it necessary.What do you guy think about also developping the lineart before picking one should or should i focus on the design that naturally outshine the other i feel like .

My thought being that if something seem like the natural choose it mean i didn't fight enough to make them equal and that a leak of consistency on my hand... of course i am not saying this doesn't happen all i am saying is i would hope you have one pick and even a second pick i want some kind of hesitation otherwise there the feel of uneveness in design creeping behind me.

More than happy to help and thank for the feed back.

My Sketchbook
If I’m being totally honest I thought the top right one was really impractical as a dual sword…until you gave your story behind its design…then I was very intrigued. Instead of line art to start with I would like to know the story behind each design before choosing a favorite. My previous favorite was also the dual tipped middle right one until I read the story of the planer angels and now I just want to see that illustrated out as I had all sorts of images floating around in my head reading your description . I know you aren’t taking this to an illustration per se but a 3D design for this story would be pretty awesome. Good luck with deciding but if it were me I would go for a more exotic look and have fun with it…it’s your story, just give us a cool piece and make us believe in it.