Veneq's journey of self discovery
Nice ones man!
Mind if I ask why the focus on the middle tones? I see no apparent reason, I'd love to know what you have in mind.

UrsulaThank you! With working middle key, I had been watching ZhangLu's tutorial and was thinking that I could apply that approach to other processes and sort of break out of my habbit of getting too committed to designs too early with heavy values. I probably wouldn't go as light next time when thumbnailing like that though - it sort of takes away the impact of the silhouette a bit.

Today's stuff -- I had come up with a self-challenge idea for myself but I don't know that it's feasible, especially when I'm already behind. The idea is to draw 16 heads a day minimum for 30 days - 8 from reference and then 8 from imagination. The problem for the first day was that I spent way too long on each individual sketch. I'll still try to keep it going even though I didn't get 16 out of day one and just make them quicker sketches.

Anyway, here is Day 1 of my challenge plus some anatomy work from the other day. And as far as I got with my infected scientist before my power went out last night.

[Image: 12-199-faces.jpg]
[Image: 12-200-arms.jpg]
[Image: 12-201-scientest.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Nice faces man, really liking your studies.

So! ZhangLu's videos era he ones on portraits that massive black used to sell? I was looking to buy them, I can't find them anywhere anymore :(

Ursula Thanks!! And yes, I have the female portrait one only - I'm surprised that they aren't available anywhere now. I only see 2 up in the TAD store. I'll keep an eye out for it though. I'd like to grab the asian male one as well myself.

Today's heads - I don't think 16/day is going to work but I'm going to keep that as the goal for now. The bottom row is from imagination.

[Image: 12-202-facesday2.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Today's heads/faces - managed to get all 16 in there - top 2 rows from reference, bottom 2 from imagination. Need to go fasterrrrr...

And some sketchbook doodles from today.
[Image: 12-203-facesday3.jpg]
[Image: 12-204-4fingerguy.jpg]
[Image: 12-205-scififolknzombieguy.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Heads from yesterday and a doodle from this morning.
[Image: 12-207-facesday4.jpg]
[Image: 12-206-battlebros.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Nice progress! Your latest sketch has alot of potential for a good portfolio piece, are you planning on pushing it to finish?

Loving the heads man!
And very nice sketch you have there.

Great idea with the heads! Can hardly tell the diffrence between imagination and reference. Really dynamic sketches as well mate!
man it's fun to watch your stuff :>
keep going :)

Lumens I did consider that but I might just use it more as a thumbnail to begin something more serious since there are things about it that I like. Thanks!!

Ursula Thank you!! Appreciated as always!

Bjulvar Thanks! That's the goal. Heads and portraiture are a much bigger weakness for me than I realized before starting this. And thanks for the love!

Nikolai Thank you! Will do!

Heads from yesterday and the day before. Still have to get around to today's.

Tried a few things different on this set - after each referenced one I would do it again from memory immediately after - on a few of them I referred back to my original drawing to reference the lighting. And the last two are just from imagination.
[Image: 12-207-facesday5.jpg]

And yesterday's
[Image: 12-208-facesday6.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Fuckin' shit dude. You're killing it! How, how I can become you? Got all pumped and excited. Gonna try to force more studies. Thanks mate. Good stuff. Keep pushing ;3

Ramalooke <3 <3 <3

Heads from Saturday and today - did some Loomis instead on Sunday. Today's were timed to start out and I was working on going without lines from the start with varied success.

Saturday's were timed as well - between 5 and 10 minutes each
[Image: 12-209-facesday7.jpg]

Today's - first 6 referenced - last 4 form imagination - wasted a ton of time on the first girl.
[Image: 12-210-facesday8.jpg]

Sketchbook stuff
[Image: 12-213-planes.jpg]
[Image: 12-212-doodles.jpg]
[Image: 12-214-doodle.jpg]

And a still life set up
[Image: 12-211-bookendstillife.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
More faces
[Image: 12-215-facesday9.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Loving the faces man.
Any specific place youre drawing from, like lovecastle? I need to do a couple like this too :)

Typing with a stylus so I'll return comments next time.
[Image: 12-217-spacepirate_zps32d884e4.jpg]
[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/PierceDraws/12-216-facesda

Steve Anthony Pierce
Ursula - I started off just using stock shots that I think I got from one of Dennis' stock packs - but when I started timing them I switched to using Lovecastle.

Something different for today ... been pretty sick the last few days and hardly touched a tablet or sketchbook yesterday. Got a head study in today + doodled a face for the pirate guy.

[Image: 12-218-purplehoodstudy_zpse13250e3.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot490_zps30f85ee5.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Small haul today - still feel like crap - top row were timed (15 minutes) from reference. Tried doing them all without any line work and was surprised that they didn't turn out worse.

[Image: 12-219-facesday11_zpsadc9ccbd.jpg]

Also it looks like I forgot to post these ones from the other day for some reason:
[Image: 12-216-facesday10.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
First stab at digital life drawing - about an hour of fail in this one - really think I screwed myself with a weird lighting set up but still :/ . And a sketch from something I just picked back up from a few months ago.

[Image: 12-220-jendigilife_zps7e59cb0b.jpg]
[Image: 12-221-scifihero_zpsddd869ed.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
you just killin' it lately. keep pushing ;]