Veneq's journey of self discovery
Ramalooke Thank you! You too dude!

Need to get back to my head challenge soon here... in the meantime here's something I've been doodling on for the last day or two - just trying to apply some of my studies. But I couldn't find a hood that really had the shape I wanted and was posed correctly so I sort of had to wing it on this and fabric folds are a weakness for sure.

[Image: 12-222-sorcoresswip_zps693a98ab.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
So here's how the hooded lady came out. I wasn't sure at all what to do with the hands and when I shot some quick reference for them with a similar light setup, it just felt like a crappy study. So I just went back to the drawing board and came up with this inky finger thing. Critiques and comments always welcome and appreciated :)

[Image: 12-223-inkfingers_zps31ad2889.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Quick study and some doodles.

[Image: 12-224-beefcake_zpsc5f8adc7.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot503_zps1727f462.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot518_zps9698410d.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Quick doodle before bed
[Image: 12-225-beefdude_zpse65e66ec.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
WIP stuff for the current CHOW on CA.
[Image: 12-226-santawip_zps8dca0e7a.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
A little bit of work on this sketch before bed... not sure what it is or where it's going other than that it's a dude cruising along, raging along... for some reason in sci fi gear... for some reason in a river valley of some sort.

[Image: 12-227-beastmodewip_zpsdca3f252.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
A little progress on my post nuke Santa.
[Image: 12-228-santawip_zps8565a2a7.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
holy shit pierce didnt know you had a dagger sketchbook man, like your stuff looking
good :)

one quick crit

your hitting the right values from darks to midtones but your not painting and speculars

you kinda got them going on the sexy hooded lady's hands but your not pushing the specularity of the goopie liquid on her fingers, it feels more matte than wet and lustrous.

one way to fix this is to make the high lights on her fingers much much smaller, keep the core shadows and just when the form rolls out of veiw you suttley paint-in colors from the surrounding objects on some of her fingers its the green bounce light from the hood when it should be the warm bouce from her hands.

thats the best way to imply reflectivity,

oh and dude work on your hand anatomy, i know your going for the beautiful but grotesque witch/mage/mistic look but the spikey look is kinda off puting.

if you want ref look at ruan jia's "blood glaze" pic on cg hub see how he mixes the beauty and horror in the hands, powerful stuff.

so yh man happy painting, wanna see more.

Iggy - you're definitely right on the speculars - if I'm going to force such a bold, in your face composition with a vibrant light setup I need to address that. I'll probably punch in some better speculars for my portfolio. I tired to put in a bit of green bounce light on the fingers but I guess it's probably too desaturated to really read. Also, I see what you mean with the hand shapes with the finger tips in particular. I did make the choice of leaving it a bit ambiguous beneath the latex gooey ink stuff because I wanted to retain some mystery about what exactly she is - ie, "could she have clawed fingers instead of finger nails?" - eww I sound so gross right now. Anyway, thanks a ton for the thoughtful response.

Soooo... here's my final entry for the Post Apoc Santa CHOW + details and process.

Edit: Photobucket is severely zapping my image quality! I know there's away to adjust the settings over there but I can't figure it out.

Edit 2: Shifting over to Imgur.com - we'll see how it goes. Images on this post should reflect the update.

[Image: mtq6i.jpg]
[Image: TsDZ8.jpg]
[Image: niEqM.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Just a couple of doodles waiting for midnight tonight.

[Image: 13-001-Elfgirl.jpg]
[Image: 13-002-robowoman.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Rough sketches for the current Character Forge - The Breath of Life. I like a couple of these I guess.

[Image: 13-003-breathoflifedoodles_zps90755d4f.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Messing around with costumes/colors/designs for the Character Forge thing from last post. I didn't intend to make them as detailed but these were a lot of fun to work on.

[Image: 9XwcH.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Looking fierce pierce! Loving up all the head drawings on page 5 and the CHOW concept you did! Can't wait to see how your breath of life piece comes out, I really like the facelessness of the 4th helmet but not 100% on that garment. Mostly around the crotch/inner thigh area, I think if you mix around the other garments more into the fourth concept you'll turn out something stellar!

Eyecager - Totally agree about the faceless helmet - that was my favorite to (as you'll see below) Thanks!

A few more costume iterations and some more pose roughs and a comp thumb.

[Image: FoCCW.jpg]
[Image: eU9sM.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
My final for the character forge challenge:
[Image: 53tHA.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Great sketchbook Pierce, good stuff.

Love seeing the process of improvement in your work.

Great stuff pierce, that last one is looking solid.

Craig - Thanks dude! Push it push it, right?

TNiznet - Thank you! Appreciated.

Some quickie doodles between work.

[Image: Qn2At.jpg]
[Image: 9k1tj.jpg]
And ew I don't know why I'm posting this last guy
[Image: esYzu.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Just wanted to upload some sketches to bump the dust off this thing.
Messing around with Alchemy - pretty cool program - I have a feeling I'll find some uses for it.

[Image: Rgznqo2.jpg]
[Image: KW57zXV.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce
Here is some iterative rough work for a project - creating some alien races:

[Image: dmugIR3.jpg]
[Image: slbhc0N.jpg]
[Image: qWvQDpn.jpg]

Steve Anthony Pierce