missimoinsane digital painting improvements :3
Changed my mind and I don't like ^

So... I drew this girl and raven. And I just got so carried away I didn’t do a preview. I was pleased to bits with it and then I went to bed, woke up and this was not right!! Far too flat, unbelievable, cartoon-y and I just hated it. So asside from the raven, nose and mouth I have decided to start over and paint it again!! (Not paint over!) I’m happy with how it’s looking thus far although it’s taken the best part of about 4 hours to go from lines to this stage.

Thoughts thus far?

[Image: raven_re_paint_by_missimoinsane-d726q0j.jpg]
See it on dA - http://missimoinsane.deviantart.com/#/ar...36115?hf=1
See original version for credit - http://missimoinsane.deviantart.com/art/...-426819831

missimoinsane

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Lovely character in the last post! I really like the choice of colors and raven companion. I think you maybe struggle with the planes of the face, especially around the mouth. I do too! Someone suggested I study a few examples of John Asaro's planes of the head model (I just googled it to find some), and it did help my understanding. Keep up the lovely work!

Sketchbook

(01-15-2014, 06:29 AM)Tygerson Wrote: Lovely character in the last post! I really like the choice of colors and raven companion. I think you maybe struggle with the planes of the face, especially around the mouth. I do too! Someone suggested I study a few examples of John Asaro's planes of the head model (I just googled it to find some), and it did help my understanding. Keep up the lovely work!

Hey Tygerson, no idea why hotmail didn't update me and say you'd commented on my sketchbook - sorry about that.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I really am struggling and feel my works are getting worse the more I try. I shall google it now. Thank you for your help <3

Imogen xX

[Image: raven_raven_stuck_by_missimoinsane-d727mau.jpg]
While I struggle on with my previous piece ^

I figured I should really take a back seat and perhaps do a few one layer speed painting timed studies. So here is the first one "red".

[Image: 1_hour_study__red_by_missimoinsane-d72a0un.jpg]
Please see deviantART upload for full stock credit and PS CS5 Brushes. http://missimoinsane.deviantart.com/art/...-427090127

Memo to self. "John Asaro's planes of the head model" ...

This is what google images had to offer. First glance. (Print Screen).

[Image: memo-ref-john-asaros_zpsc302c8d1.jpg]

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Another 1 hour study. Speedpainting, one layer, quick, no line art... blah blah blah
Note; please note that I ran out of time before I got to doing her partin or cleaning up around the eyes.

[Image: 1_hour_study__black_by_missimoinsane-d72aa9l.jpg]
For full credit and link to stock and brushes uses please see original on deviantART @ http://missimoinsane.deviantart.com/art/...1389801259

Yo, nice work! I see you're still trying hard to improve :D
I'd suggest poking around for better reference to do studies from, the photos you're choosing to copy are poorly lit and won't give you much information about the structure of the head. Look for photos with direct lighting (clearly defined lights and shadows) where you can tell what direction the light is coming from. You probably want to avoid direct frontal lighting as well.

Thank you I'll keep that in mind. I hope you are well and still trying... thanx :D I'll try using better stock :D

So figured I'd try do some 1 hour studies by just painting on one layer - no line art. Using grid. In kind of a speed painting style. I am thinking my problem with painting might be that I'm trying to hard and over thinking things... and I might be better just trying to throw some quick studies together in 1 hour or less but I seem to be running out of time. - Focusing mostly on skin/face colour.

Note; I accidentally went over my hour oopse. Having said that it wasn't by very much... maybe 10 minutes extra. But worth it.

[Image: just_over_1_hour_study__coi_pretty_by_mi...72xlkv.jpg]
Please see deviantART deviation for full credit. >> HERE <<

[Image: just_cio_pretty_study_by_missimoinsane-d72xmmo.jpg]
Please see deviantART deviation for full credit. >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

More 1 hour study work...

[Image: 1_hour_study__pink_with_jealousy_by_miss...72z44p.jpg]
Please see deviantART version for FULL credit inc stock >> HERE <<

[Image: just_pink_with_jealousy_study_by_missimo...72z4cw.jpg]
Please see deviantART version for FULL credit inc stock >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

Another study this time 2 hours. It didn't look like anything after an hour... it was BAD. So proceeded to do 2 hours and very pleased I did :D :)

[Image: 2_hour_study__african_blue_by_missimoinsane-d730nfk.jpg]
Please see deviantART deviation for full credit to stock etc >> HERE <<

[Image: just_african_blue_study_by_missimoinsane-d730oks.jpg]
Please see deviantART deviation for full credit to stock etc >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

You know, there's really no need to keep posting links to the credits like that, if you're doing it because you feel obligated to XD
Studies are looking nice, be sure to do some work from imagination to use what you're learning from them! Only good way to be sure the information sticks in your brain.

Hey Sam.
It's partly I like to give credit, and partly a quick link to my dA version and... well. I want too :)

I think I want to get a couple more studies done first. And then do some imagination work. Simply because I feel I'm on a roll and learning atm and I don't want to go back to imagination, mess up and have to start over. I seem to do this I do something amazing for me and then back to same old same old. But thank you... I'm glad you think the studies are looking nice :) :D I hope to keep on improving :)

Imogen

Hey missi,
something i noticed...I would say:

Use better stock images (no overexposure, no gothic make up, natural poses, good lightning)!
(01-21-2014, 09:13 AM)constructicon Wrote: Hey missi,
something i noticed...I would say:

Use better stock images (no overexposure, no gothic make up, natural poses, good lightning)!

Hey constructicon,

Yes. I hear this A LOT lately. However when I ask people for good stock they send me the same things... I'm just happy with the oppotunities to try and improve despite the stock quality.

That said I have just finished one of my brother, it wasn't a stock picture it was a pic he took of himself for a laugh on his phone as his facebook picture. But I wanted to paint it.. it's turned out more of a water colour painting as it's rather light but I am pleased with it all the same.

[Image: 2_hour_study__jez_tied_up_by_missimoinsane-d731zgb.jpg]
This isn't a stock, it's my brothers picture of himself. Though if you wish to see the deviantART deviation and brushes I used go >> HERE <<

[Image: just_jez_tied_up___study__by_missimoinsane-d731zrq.jpg]
This isn't a stock, it's my brothers picture of himself. Though if you wish to see the deviantART deviation and brushes I used go >> HERE <<

Thank you for the feedback ~ Imogen xX

Thought I'd take a break from people studies and such.. just playing about and having fun ...Robin.

[Image: cold_robin_by_missimoinsane-d737myc.jpg]
For deviantART version and such go >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

Version 2

[Image: cold_robin_snow_by_missimoinsane-d737q9f.jpg]
To see this version on deviantART go >> HERE <<

Decided to do a re-paint just for fun. Original Early 2011. WIP now (Jan 2014). This is only a WIP... but I see so much improvements but there's always room for more... obviously it's not finished but I'm loving how it's coming along.

[Image: w_i_p___with_mr_wonderful_by_missimoinsane-d73ajoy.jpg]
This can be found in my deviantART scraps, go >> HERE <<

- Image is not a stock. It is of me and my boyfriend at the time (he's now fiance since 20/12/13). I took the photo 01/01/11

Studies are getting better, you are grasping values and edge quality better than before.

(01-23-2014, 09:38 AM)crackedskull Wrote: Studies are getting better, you are grasping values and edge quality better than before.

Hey!! Thank you... I thought I was doing well... feel I've rather let myself down... this last one the more I did the worse it got. So dissapointed in myself:

[Image: me_and_mr_wonderful_by_missimoinsane-d73b2k9.jpg]
See deviantART version >> HERE <<

Imogen :(

Thought I'd take a break from studies for a little bit and do some 'personal' work.. just for fun. Thus far I have spent about 5 hours working on the lineart (from scratch) for this one. I'm rather pleased.. I love her hand near her head... Going to make the antlers a bit more deer like and I'm unsure if she should have feet, boots or hooves (atm she has boots). We'll see. In addition I've spent about half hour laying down some colouring for a background. Starting to wonder if I should have grabbed a refference for this but I am pleased with how it's coming along :D Anyway just thought I'd share my WIP thus far.

Time about 5-6 hours work thus far.

[Image: wip_deer_hunter_by_missimoinsane-d744u53.jpg]
See brush credits and such on dA >>> HERE <<<

Great effort keep going don't be afraid to go out of the confort zone. Face painting and bird are not the only thing that you can draw i am sure of that.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(01-29-2014, 08:45 AM)darktiste Wrote: Great effort keep going don't be afraid to go out of the confort zone. Face painting and bird are not the only thing that you can draw i am sure of that.

Thank you very much for the lovely comment Darktiste :D

WIP 2
Continuing with ^ WIP 'Deer Hunter' ~ 'personal' work.. just for fun. This is a further 5 hours ontop of that (10 hours thus far, although my laptop did overhead and I lost a bunch of time/work at one point - but now it's better than it was before!!) I'm rather pleased.. Thoughts thus far??

Time about 8-10 hours work thus far.

[Image: wip_deer_hunter_2_by_missimoinsane-d74698o.jpg]
For brushes and such or dA version go >> HERE <<