missimoinsane digital painting improvements :3
Great progress since i was last here, one thing im seeing a lot of is the soft brush in these paintings, so your edges are suffering a little in places, doing some master studies of artists with great edge control (sargeant etc) can really help to push your work on, especially as you do a lot of portraits.

Keep up the hard work! :)

Hey Jon,

Thank you for stopping by!! ...Not using soft brush any more!! Or if I do I'm lowering the 'soft-ness'. I'm trying to use other brushes :) But I feel I am improving hehe. But thank you for what you said, as always.. I'll keep that in mind (or try too)

Imogen :D

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
FINISHED:

So I thought I'd take a break from studies and such to do some 'personal' work.. just for fun. The first WIP was taken at 5 hours, second WIP +5hours and then between then and finished 8hours (total apx 18hours)... I'm really pleased with myself. It probably has 100's of flaws and such but right now I just don't care. I'm so pleased with myself and my improvements and I really love how this turned out. [Pleased with my over all values!! And tried some new brushes and techniques.]

Time about 18 hours work.

Deer Hunter
[Image: deerhunter_by_missimoinsane-d748ut5.jpg]
For brushes and such or just to see the upload on deviantART click >> HERE <<

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Wow what an improvement since page 1! :D Awesome stuff

Hmm, I could only suggest that you try and vary up your edges - it'll work wonders for your pieces ^ ^ controlling edges should easily be a principle skill in painting - here, if you haven't already seen this wonderful article by Gurney on the topic of edges.

Keep it up and keep pushing yourself!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thank you smrrfette :D <3

I'm pleased to be improving!! Thank you for the link, no I haven't seen that!! Thank you for sharing I'll add it to my list of things to improve upon :P hehe.

~ mii xX

Work in progress. So I thought I'd do more studies.. but then I saw an image that inspired me to do a voodoo, witch docor, shaman ...something along them lines.. And well I am super pleased with the face and how it's coming along thus far so I thought I'd share a WIP of this.

The line art has taken about 3+ hours and the face has taken about 2 hours and the rest didn't take me much time at all... Time thus far 6 hours!!

"Is it me, or does my face painting thus far look like Wednesday Adams, from the Adams family... +nose ring?" lol

[Image: wip_voodoo_wild_by_missimoinsane-d74khax.jpg]
Please see my deviantART version for credit of stock references and brushes >> HERE <<

WIP Part 2 (12hours)

[Image: wip_voodoo_wild2_by_missimoinsane-d74mxm4.jpg]
Indecisive if I should crop to a horizontal piece... extend the whole canvas or leave it as is... Thoughts?
For deviantART version including stock ref credit and brushes go >> HERE <<

Thoughts??

Ugh, I'm at that stage again where the more I do, the worse it gets. *feeling dissapointed in myself* I may revisit one day.. but for now I'm just going to upload it as is!! I love the girl (head) and her jewellery but it all looks off... and the more I do... well. I fixed the face... fixed the arm. Shrunk the vultury-bird... and it's now a good 20 something hours and I've had enough as I've spent the last 8 hours just staring at it more or less...

- Trying to use more 'hard' brushes rather than soft brushes... Also think the problem with this might be I'm over thinking it and trying to do too much... let me know what you think...

I did create 2 seperate images from the girls head, 'cos I spent most time on that - I think - and I really do like it :)

[Image: voodoo_wild_by_missimoinsane-d74purr.jpg]
To see deviantART version (including ref and brush sets) go >> HERE <<

[Image: voodoochild_by_missimoinsane-d74pw1o.jpg]

[Image: 3c4cb8e1152f8bf4b710fb4ad83c8fe3-d74pwu3.jpg]

Imogen xx ...thoughts...??

Heart 
Can't sleep so figured I'd do some more value studies. This one was just under 2 hours (timed study). Super happy with it as things go. I was focusing on colour values and trying to use 'hard' brush more as appose to 'soft' brush... I'm pleased with this.. the colour was difficult to work with in the original stock image so I changed the levels slightly to make it easier for myself. One thing I've learned.. I never knew there was so many shades of orange and practically black... lol. But I had fun and no it's not perfect, it's not tightly rendered but for a 2 hour study I am pleased with my progress very much so :D :)

[Image: 2_hour_colour_values_study___lantern_by_...74r95r.jpg]
For deviantART version inc stock ref and brushes go >> HERE <<

[Image: just_lantern_study_by_missimoinsane-d74r9t1.jpg]
For deviantART version inc stock ref and brushes go >> HERE <<

Imogen x

So I wanted to do more digital painting studies... however I was inspired to create something a bit more with this piece!! As she felt a bit vampire/gothic ... so thought I'd play with that. Really pleased with the nose and lips. I actually painted this whole piece the other way round and then flipped it. 2-3 hours work. Just experimenting.

[Image: this_is_the_end_now_mind_your_eyes_by_mi...75fqp3.jpg]

For original on deviantART & Ref/Brush Sets Go >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

Wow, you are improving like crazy! And why the hell am I not watching you on DA yet...

(02-07-2014, 09:06 PM)Olooriel Wrote: Wow, you are improving like crazy! And why the hell am I not watching you on DA yet...

Aww thank you, I really am trying!! :D :) Just done another!! lol. I'm already watching you on dA :D <3 Thank you for the watch!! :) and for what you said... It honestly means the world to me!! :D

Imogen x

Tried to sleep, failed. So thought I'd go back and do some studies.. really pleased with how this turned out even if it does look slightly more graphic novel than realism... I really like it ... Just under 3 hours work :)

[Image: 3_hour_study_ish___beautiful_mess_by_mis...75g7mb.jpg]
Wish to see the original upload to deviantART... for ref and brushes credit also go >> HERE <<

[Image: just_beautiful_mess_by_missimoinsane-d75g7xd.jpg]
Wish to see the original upload to deviantART... for ref and brushes credit also go >> HERE <<

Excellent progress! make sure to keep in mind in your imagination painting that form has volume and is not flat, so if you were to say drape a cloth over a sphere the cloth would 'wrap' around that form and the contours of it. Keep em coming ;).

(02-08-2014, 01:13 AM)JonHop Wrote: Excellent progress! make sure to keep in mind in your imagination painting that form has volume and is not flat, so if you were to say drape a cloth over a sphere the cloth would 'wrap' around that form and the contours of it. Keep em coming ;).

Thank you Jon!!

It really does mean A LOT to me (what you said). And yes it would indeed wrap. I am still learning and so far to go... but thank you for your value assistance which has helped me get this far, even though it's by no means perfect but I understand it now and work towards it :) So thank you!!

Imogen x

It's been about a month and so much bad stuff has happened. I'm really not in a good place at the moment and my art progression has suffered as a result. That said I sat down last night for a couple of hours and painted this...

[Image: lace_and_glasses_by_missimoinsane-d78iztl.jpg]
Which you can find the stock credit and other information >> HERE <<

Good studies! Although I would suggest mixing it up a bit more from just photostudes, do some self portraits, still lives, drawing, black and white painting, all that good stuff :D.

It's hard enough as it is to get good at art, add life problems gotta be way tough :(. Hope things work out for you!

(03-03-2014, 01:33 AM)ImSkeptical Wrote: Good studies! Although I would suggest mixing it up a bit more from just photostudes, do some self portraits, still lives, drawing, black and white painting, all that good stuff :D.

It's hard enough as it is to get good at art, add life problems gotta be way tough :(. Hope things work out for you!

Thank you for your kind words. I know I should try and branch out a bit more and do different things to work on my improvements... so I'll keep it in mind. Thank you...

Ok so I'm actually doing a Necromancer inspired character... and I didn't wan't to just do another character and no background.. So I've got the linework done for the Necromancer, mostly (apx 6 hours line work sketch). And I decided to put her in a graveyard.. So the line work for the graveyard (from scratch) took me apx 5hours or so and the digital painting part has taken just under 8 hours thus far. I'm so pleased with it. I figured I'd share it at this stage... but please know it is a background so it's not all tightly rendered... I am just really pleased with myself. - Completly done from scratch (except tree brush which I then manipulated)

[Image: graveyard_moonlight_by_missimoinsane-d79aycl.jpg]
To see deviantART version including all credit go >> HERE <<

New updates on my Necromancer Piece...

[Image: necromancer_wip_by_missimoinsane-d7akfgo.jpg]

See deviantART version for full credit and information >> HERE <<

Imogen xX

Necromancer WIP 2 Progress:

Progress +7 hours ontop of the previous 26 and I've hit a snag on what she should be holding if anything. I was thinking floating skulls, then floating orbs, then just some kinda magic but it all doesn't sit right... So the skin is not finished as a result. Infact it's missing a lot of lighting and reflective lighting and bounce lighting and lighting lighting lighting lighting lol... oh and some contrast shade. Anyway progress thus far. Thoughts?

[Image: necromancer_wip_2_by_missimoinsane-d7dayf3.jpg]
More details can be found on deviantART >>HERE<<

mii xX