Sketchbook
Hi all. Figured it was about time I started a sketchbook of my own. Like most people here I'm trying to improve my skills and hopefully reach some sort of professional level. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to make some money out of this thing called art.

So, in an attempt to improve my portraits I set myself a little study task of creating 8 male fantasy portraits loosely based around certain archetypes such as the Veteran, the Dashing Hero etc. I then thought I might as well develop them into full character designs; it's all good practice right? So here are the portraits and the first 3 designs. Crits and comments always welcome.

These are fantastic! Great exercise. Look forward to seeing the rest of these characters, and anything else you post here.

Hi Ignatz, so great that you have started your own sketchbook. The work you have shown so far is really great. And I love the idea of creating fantasy portraits and then taking the whole thing further and do full body paintings. Also what's really impressive is that you also redid the face of the first one in the full body and you can directly say that's the same person.

I hope to see more from you soon!

Awesome portraits & characters.. "reaching" pro level wouldn't be my concern if I were you.. by these I'd say they are already commission work :) Keep it up & curious to see the rest

These... are... freaking... BEEEEEEEEEEEAST---! :O

Daaaaaaaaaamn, you seriously don't have far to go with your studyin' Ignatz!

Seriously, wonderful start to your sketchbook. Can't wait for the next update!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
@Brian, Thanks. It's been a really useful exercise so far and more importantly it's great fun.
@Tamaira, Thanks for dropping by. Glad you like it.
@Kaffer, Thanks for the feedback. I have a really hard time being objective about my own work so any fresh perspective is appreciated. I spend far too much time looking at artists like Jaime Jones and Wes Burt so have constant feelings of inadequacy:)
@smrrfette, lol thanks. Nobody's ever called my stuff BEEEEEEEEAST before:)

Here are the next three characters

I'm surprised they haven't ;)

Oh man this update is so sweet! You've managed to capture the expression of each character awesomely!

Strange... I now have a sudden urge to play Skyrim ;________;

weeeee can't waiiiiit for mooreee!

P.s. don't mind me turning into an even bigger creeper each time you update :D your work is worth the constant drooling and shortness of breath 063

sketchbook | pg 52

These are fucking awesome, you rock dude.

Here are the final two characters. Was such fun doing these I think I might do it again with female portraits.

This is a great exercise for sure, and all of these have such interesting character to them. Definitely would like to see more.

Gonna echo what everyone else is saying, these are awesome man. Solid individually, and as they look great one after the other. Really like how you've pushed the pose in a new way for each one to sell the character. Fantastic stuff, keep it coming :D I'd love to see the female ones if you decide to go for it :)

So I started on the female characters. I'm soooo slow at these. Thought I'd get faster with practice but I seem to be getting slower :p

oh man *_* <3 awesome sketchbook so far

Wow! Great.. everything! I'm in love with your character design!

Thanks Marjorie, thanks Rognoll :)
Really not happy with this one but I learnt a thing or two from it so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Man this stuff is really nice dude. Great work. I always have respect for people who come up with interesting characters because I suck so hard at them haha. Keep it up!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Awesome sketchbook! Loving everything you've done, each character really stands out! Keep it up, I'm looking forward to the rest of the females :)

I really do love this exercise, man. Great work.

@Monkeybread, thanks man, I feel the same way about people who can create great environments. I suck so badly at them.
@Mayenla, glad you like them. Thanks for stopping by.
@MrFrenik, Thanks man. I'm really enjoying doing these. Normally I'd be bored of a project by now and wanting to start something new but I could happily begin this exercise again; maybe doing a series of orcs, or dwarves, or elves, or aliens...

Anywho, here's the next one.

Again, having a drool fest over here!

Looking forward to your next updaaate
Thanks for sharin' :D

sketchbook | pg 52