studystudystudy
Hi everyone. Its about time I started up a sketchbook! I love art. i reaaallly love art...

i'm focusing a lot of studies these days.. keeping the imagination stuff to a minimum at the moment!

hope to be inspired and maybe pass some around as well!!

here are some studies i did in the last couple of months!

Attached Files Image(s)

Fantastic start to your sketchbook, Jarrad!

Oh? Keeping us waiting for imaginative pieces? That's cruel! Hahaha
Just so long as you are applying what you're learning from these studies in some way, it's all good

Looking forward to seeing more, keep it up man :D

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Very nice pencil work, look forward to seeing some of your own imaginative pieces also!

smrrfette: hahaha. I'm taking a break from imagination stuff for a while and just focusing on studies.. well.. thats not 100% true.. I do some experimenting daily, but nothing "serious"

thanks for the kind words!

jonhop: thanks jon! hmm i hope not to dissapoint, but i'll be focusing mostly on studies in this SB for now.. who knows when that will change though... maybe tomrrow!

some more studies and.. what do we have here.. a sketch from imagination!

Attached Files Image(s)

another experiment sktech

Attached Files Image(s)

Wooo nice studies Jarrad. Are you studying at an art school or atelier? Hopin to see more!

pnate: I'm studying at: Jarrad's school for gifted youngers.... err.. i mean no.. I live in vancouver canada where there aren't any schools that i'd want to attend. funny thing is.. the more i learn to learn on my own, the less I want to go to any school . theres so much information to be had on the internets and tracking down certain peeps.. that being said.. I started drawing in 2010 and up until 2012 I realize I was practicing in a very inefficient way. Oh well!

lately I've really taken to the idea of sharing what I know with people and being really open to anyone has to give back. You can pretty much learn from any person.. just a matter of whether of not you are willing to!

okay.. so the image below is a design (composition) study exercise known as: Matrix Studies!

the value matrix of ANY painting is what gives it its "read". It is what separates mushy looking paintings from the gut punchingly awesome ones.

Images that can be simplified into 2 values (black, white) will have the strongest read. In those 4 paintings by Jamie Jones, he does a masterful job of silhouetting darks against lights and lights against darks.

Of course there is more to composition than just having light on dark and dark on light.. but all of the elements of composition function at a basic shape level... line, value, rhythm, shape, colour, rhythm, movement. Any one of these things only feels significant in a painting when it is contrasting!

for example: a large area of darkness with a small area of white will draw your attention towards the white because of the value contrast. there is also just a single shape against a flat plane.. the shape of the canvas vs the shape of the single mark on the canvas is shape contrast.

thinking about as many ways to create contrast in your painting (while still telling whatever story it is that your trying to tell) will likely create a very strong painting.

here are some that come to mind

light vs dark
big vs small
detailed vs simple
sharp vs soft
pointy vs round
saturated vs desaturated

hopefully this helps someone!

also...two studies i did a little while ago of the same set up at different times of day. crazy to see the change of value ranges and hues/saturations

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, welcome to the forums. This is an amazing start ;) I can sens a lot of greatness here. Can't wait to see more ;3

ramaloke: thanks man! We'll see what happens i suppose ;) I checked out your SB as well and it is really great. you are nailing those cars!!

just a scrappy incomplete study of a caravaggio character from one of his paintings as well as a landscape study that is a WIP.. I feel like landscapes are one of my weaker areas (among the many!) so its time to do a bunch of landscape studies!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the black and white studies a lot! Would like to try that too.

Focus.
meat: thanks. if i were emperor of the world. everyone would have to do cast drawings! just kidding. only for those who are inclined! I like them though and I feel like they teach me a lot about value/form/funtimes

sketch before bed.

i've also been working on a cast drawing in graphite. I figure once I complete the flat value (or Notan) stage, i'll post the first WIP.

I've also been working on a sargent master study.. man that guy... man.... man....

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool stuff, very interesting painting at 2 diff times of day to see the value range , hues etc changing. Gonna have to do that matrix study soon myself :P. Keep pushing!

Dammmnn, great start to a sketchbook. Those time of day studies look really nice. Makes me wish I actually had natural light coming in to my room >_> And I agree that your pencil studies really are fantastic. Keep pushing the studies and do personal work to apply them. Keep pushing hard.

JonHop: Yeah! I found that doing paintings in different times of day is great practice! Hues, values, saturations are all crazy different! Matrix is THE THING!

Jaik: THanks Jaik. that was actually set up in my kitchen because I have my blinds always shut in my room so that I can use artificial light for cast drawings :P

some stuff. Finished the landscape study and did some figure studies as well! I'll take a picture of my currrent cast drawing and some other traditional sketches and post them soon!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice enviro study and cool figure studies. Looking forward to seeing you apply what you're learning in your personal pieces.