Sketchbook
You can also try to play with the frame no just verticale lenght wise but also horizontally.You can also but not necessarly make thumbnail for almost everything that would benefit from iteration.In the case here since you didn't approch the face you could try a few expression or you could try to push the gesture in some.Sometime it just reinterpreting the scene but changing the placement of element.

Best place to study thumbnail is obviously the field of visual developement(animation movie tv serie)because there is people specialize in story boarding.So what i suggest is you give yourself a break and go explore that realm of art and find artist you would like to unlock the secret of there work.But make the research focus on thumbnail which is probably harder to get your hand on because it often more talk about in the making off book or artbook.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Love these thumbnails! You could possibly achieve more dynamics by tilting the horizon line a bit more dramatically maybe.

It'll be great to see how you work one of these up into a full fledged illustration!

(03-25-2024, 09:56 AM)Porcini Wrote: @ darktiste - Moebius is perpetually in my my top 3 for sure. I’m kicking around thumbnails for the environment challenge, I’ll post up soon.

@ Dominique - The self “censoring/neutering” thing is something I feel in many dimensions of life. Always wondered who I would have been if I’d pursued exactly what I wanted to be. But that usually turns into a super destructive line of thought. As far as presence in art spaces, I haven’t participated in them since the mid-2000’s. I pop in here from time to time and my falling off is always more self-critical-massive-expectations of what I “should” be able to do but can’t because a lack of effort and technical abilities. But your 1-5 list is something I’m actively pursuing now and it really takes the mind off all the obsessive neurotic thoughts. Haha I feel like a squirrel that just needs to find a way to distract himself from the nut he can’t crack by looking for easier nuts.

Redrawing again. Having fun with it though. I notice I leave drawings too vague in many areas and I can’t figure those spaces out once I try to refine. So I’m trying to really push primary shapes to have more fidelity. Part of why I never finish anything is because the beginnings are never solidified into a proper base to build on, so I’m hanging around with this same image figuring things out. Taking my time on a picture is not something I’m familiar with, so I’m forcing myself to get familiar with it, going slow.

I think the image is getting better. Hard to tell (((tunnel vision))), but I will keep going on it until I feel I’ve exhausted all routes that could make it better.

You and me both, buddy, but then that makes me depressed, again. I often wonder where I would be if I had the confidence to pursue what I wanted, but then that makes me feel worse. So, best not to dwell. We are truly our own worst enemy, sometimes. We’ve been chasing the craft for so long, we become 'glass half-empty' people, who can only focus on the minutia without looking at the overall picture. Yet, less skilled people just got on with in and found their audience. This reminds me of graffiti artist Sand One. Sand One - The Self Taught Famous Graffiti Artist | LatiNation (youtube.com)Technically, her artwork is a lot to be desired, however in spite of that she's found her audience and makes all sorts of merch with not just an online, her own brick and mortar store and even gets commissions. She's able to earn a good living from her artwork. Does she get stick, yes. Is she one of those people that would thwart away all criticism as 'It's just my style!'. Going via her interviews and digital footprint, probably 'Yes', as well. But, she doesn't care. I wouldn't use her as an 'Art Parent', but I would use her as a business one. NGL, I really admire and am even jealous of her confidence. If she was even able to create a thriving art business with her art level, what could we accomplish? I was even reading about people working in Hollywood and even if they don't have the 'talent', that at least have the confidence to put themselves into the ring. Haha, but our neuroticism gets in the way.  Blushing 

I was recently listening to the Kristian Nee Podcast with Steven Hudson. The whole talk is about ‘Self-Care while being an artist’. It’s super refreshing to listen to Hudson (or any professional artist chatting, that’s not just centered on all the technicalities of learning and ‘getting good’), especially if you are in a funk. His advice is golden. Self Care and Being an Artist - Sketchy Van Podcast #57 Steve Huston (youtube.com)

It’s super difficult to go slow for me as well, because I’ve thought ‘speed=mastery’, which is all well and good, but I’m not a master…yet. However, I could be if I gave myself the grace to go slow and explore. I came across this progress imgur from Olly 'Tehmeh' Lawson. His still-life desk studies, especially at first took him around two weeks to complete.  Painting progress - painting post - Imgur This print of his, he worked on during the evening over a period of seven months. He had to try work for it, but he found it pretty meditative: https://ollylawson.co.uk/store/art_poste...3/massacre. I remember also seeing a desk sill-life from algenpfleger, where he said it took him two days to complete. Miles Johnson just wrapped up a painting that he's been toying with for up to 4 years. Seeing these examples helps loosen the anxiety, when you see the time you take to complete a finished illustration as a value judgement on yourself and your ability to improve.

Wow, all your thumbnails read incredibly well. It’s very professional, already. 7 is intriguing, looks like she’s caught sight of the hooded figure and wants to hide. I think it would be a good idea to take one (or two or three, if you get into the rhythm of it) and actually try to create a fully finished illustration. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your development. :)