How do you talk to people at conventions or workshops?
Big Grin 
Hey guys, so like the title says.. i was just wondering.. like, how do you that? like for networking and stuff. Talking to pros at their tables or whatever. Im kinda shy when talking to strangers and stuff, like, nothing comes out lol. But there is some workshops coming up this year and i really want to do it, like just go and meet people and network. But what the hell do you even say?

I tried before in a smaller conventions with some fantasy artist .. and all i could come up with was "Hey man, thats pretty good stuff you got there" and their response would be like " Yea thanks man" and thats it.. haha it'd just die there and move on to the next table.. and repeat.

I guess i just want to hear peoples opinion on the matter and their experiences of what you guys say to people and the artist you admire when you meet them at these events.

Like im planning on going to the massive black workshop in december or whenever it happens this year and i don't wanna fuck it up. I want to make the most of it.

So.. thoughts?

If you want to make the most of it - maybe try asking specific questions? If you like the designs - ask about inspiration, technique or whatever it is that you're curious about. I know that for myself - when I met people I looked up to, I was pretty silent and stressed. But they are humans after all, even if their level is godlike. :3
So my advice is not to beat about the bush, but (politely, of course) ask. Every artist went through the basic level, so they probably will understand reply to the most "obvious" questions. You're risking nothing - don't be shy! :)

Ask yourself what the objectif main objective you want to achieve going there.
Here are a few benefits of networking:

1. Information sharing– The depth of knowledge and experience from a group of people can be staggering. Networking will provide many opportunities to ask questions and receive feedback. Discussing other points of view really
expands your knowledge base, and allows you to see things from a broader perspective. Learning from other’s “best
practices” saves time, energy and resources.

2. Connections– When opportunity “knocks” you want to be in a position to take advantage of it. Many times there is a need for information-sharing, joint ventures, partnerships, and even needs for services. Having a wide network of individuals to contact may be the difference in seizing the moment or missing it completely.

3. Promotion– Whether promoting yourself or your organization, having a large network may assist you in moving your career forward, promoting a new product launch, or driving new members to your organization. “Word of mouth” is still one of the best forms of advertising. Spreading good information about you or your organization may provide leads for career advancement or organization growth.

4. Credibility– Improving your reputation and finding support are also benefits of networking. If you are successful at
networking, you might get a reputation for being a person people will want to talk to and get to know. A good reputation leads to support. You may have valuable information, ideas, and resources those in your network may need. Establishing your desire to assisst a colleague increases your credibility.

5. Self Esteem– Making new friends and socializing is an important aspect of ourhuman nature. Developing new relationships leads to higher self esteem and confidence. By taking the steps to improving yourself and connecting to people you are moving your career forward. Your confidence will continue to grow as you become more comfortable with
networking. Confidence draws people to you and opens up the opportunity to gain more information for yourself and share information with others.

I think that first you should remember that they are there for business so if you want to make networking you should be able to share something with them or else if it a one way exchange. When the conversation end say thank you for taking the time to answer my question.Ask for there business if they didnt allready give it to you.

My first idea is to invite them to take a coffee somewhere so that there not seeing u as a customer but a fellow artist.You should be paying there coffee to boost there interest.This experience can be a boost of confidence for you and also will help you stand out of the crowd so they can remember you.

Second idea make a list of question and let them see those question and let them answer some question of there choose or find less then 5 question you really want to ask them and memorize them.If they didnt accept the invitation ask them if they can answer those question on the phone later.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey thanks guys, awesome stuff. Darktiste thats great info!

Man there was a Lean Into Art podcast episode recently about this exact thing! I'll try to find it when I get home from work in the morning and post it.

Sketchbook  :::  Site

Par Gin oh man, please link it up!

Practice asking good questions here. Look at artists you admire here or in other forums and think of good questions based on their work. You have the benefit of time. There's no
awkward pause as you try to think of what to type. Everyone here is very approachable, too.

Sketchbook

I think you could look for interview of artist so that you can try to come up with question but before doing so try doing a brainstorm of question.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
If you're wanting to learn about conventions watch these videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-bbXGg...OKlag2jszw

Also Will Terrell's recent video on how to get good feed back talks about being genuine and connecting with people in person https://www.youtube.com/user/willterrell2001/videos

I didn't forget about you. Turned out to be kind of a hectic day yesterday. Here's the episode of Lean Into Art:

http://www.leanintoart.com/blog/2014/3/1...and-artist

There's an audio only version on iTunes, also, just in case you're like me and would rather listen in the car than be chained to the computer screen.

Sketchbook  :::  Site

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill check out all those resources. At the end of the day i guess is just about shut up and just go and do it and let it flow.. lol

Hey Jeso, thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to a convention in July and am extremely bad at people thing both in real life and online, so the info here really helps.

Focus.
Yea man, no problem, i know there is a bunch of people with these issues. So, im glad its helping more folks around.

Will Terrell's new video is on how to network. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNhY17eHWtc

Here's an article nice and concise with 12 tips on networking for shy people: http://www.cio.com/article/2437488/relat...eople.html

Also recommend Dale Carnegie's books on people relationships.

Focus.