Vompt's sketchbook
Bug 
Hey guys,
So I'm finally going to start posting stuff here! I have been hesitant to post my stuff for lame excuses but recently, I kind of need people to support me so here I am!

Always open for critiques!Thumbs_up
My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Man! I need to be more consistent with my updates of my sketchbook! The first 3 drawings, I really hate them, the lake side drawing (that one, I want to color it!), I really like and the digital paintings, I hate them. They are experiments but I would appretiate some critiques please.

Until next time!

[Image: jDERGCf.jpg]
[Image: tDHkwO3.jpg]
[Image: rrwAqMR.jpg]
[Image: fEeuxmW.jpg]
[Image: 9KLYadV.jpg]
[Image: Ovnv5FX.jpg]

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Hey man. Nice drawings. You got confidence to develop fairly complex compositions and cool lineart too. And that's really important.

On the critique side of things here goes a few:

-You're uploading images that are way to huge, takes quite a while to load in slow internet and also can't see them well, I'd recomend resizing them to no more 900 pixels on the larger side. :P

-Your faces and figures need quite a lot of work still study-wise, I'd recommend going for some human structure studies, aswell as some gesture drawings to shape it up, it will help your stuff tremendously.

- Also, specially based on the monster's rendering I'd say you need to study values, how much of dark greys and midtones are into stuff generally, because you jump way too early into blacks and dark greys + white, which is generally a recipe for disaster xD and also some studies on how edges convey form would be usefull. If oyu focus on this enough and get your values right you can jump next into color, but for now I'd just focus on values and human structure.

It's kind of a lot to study, but if you take it one step at a time it won't be so daunting. Just keep at it and in a few months your stuff will improve dramatically. And you got some nice line quality and cool comps going on already, so don't get discouraged and keep it up! :D

SB
Always challenge yourself to stay out of the confort zone.Here some point that i think for the moment are not represented enought in the sketchbook (gesture, female character).But before saying to much i would like to know what kind of art career you wanna be in. I readed the intro you wrote and i learn that you had study 2d animation so is this something you still wanna do? .For the moment i don't see any animation sheet here so may be you prefer character design.If you want to be a animator you will need a lot more gesture drawing then this.But that only one opinion i invite you to look at those video.

So You Wanna Be A Professional Artist? by sycra
https://www.youtube.com/watchv=JdpnBn9Cv...PNuV3skDqJ

and this one should also be really interesting for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKV5nXL...vGtbBtHw_w

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(08-15-2014, 03:37 AM)darktiste Wrote: I readed the intro you wrote and i learn that you had study 2d animation so is this something you still wanna do?

Hi Darktiste!
Well, to answer your question, I would like to work in visual development, design and concept art. I like doing character designs and environments. I also like to invent stuff. That's why I joined this forum! I studied animation because I wanted to learn how to draw and that what I felt was the best to reach my goals. Thanks for the help by the way!

and Suira, thank you for your critique! I'll certaintly keep that in mind!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
So lately, I wanted to start painting but my laptop became extremely laggy so I just been sketch and drawing alot. I have to format my laptop in order to start using it again. Enjoy!

[Image: rTQLVG1.jpg]
[Image: hWMdv5d.jpg]
[Image: umqMpV9.jpg]
[Image: KYTzLHi.jpg]
[Image: I50NQ3Q.jpg]
[Image: 7cRnova.jpg]
[Image: U8c6GOP.jpg]

Until next time!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Here's more from my sketchbook! I've been drawing way more than doing digital painting. Yesterday, I formated my computer so hopefully I can start painting again! (You'll notice that there is the same page as in that previous post except it has more sketches in it!)

[Image: LTfngzl.jpg]
[Image: SEZzHt4.jpg]
[Image: v8ZNn12.jpg]

til' next time!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
So I finally formatted my laptop and I'm currently doing a tutorial just to see how well it can run photoshop cs3. And I'm also working on a layout/background which is taking me forever to get done with beacause of everything that has been going on in my life. In the mean time, here's my sketchbook... again...

[Image: kuinNMV.jpg]
[Image: yp8CqPj.jpg]
[Image: gDQxDVR.jpg]

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
So I did some value studies and color studies in thumbnail form. It's a fun little exercises really! I should do more of these! I've put the original image next to my studies for reference.

I also tried to do a full master study but then I got mad and gave up :/ I have to try again soon.

Anyway, here it is!

[Image: zSio4tr.jpg]
[Image: Su7P4hV.jpg]

Some comment's and critiques are welcome!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Here some more stuff from my sketchbook!
(you've probably already seen certain characters)
[Image: q1zupI5.jpg]
[Image: 7sAshPU.jpg]

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Hey man, I like your style :) Very cool linework. If I could add a crit, one thing I see is that when you pose your figures, the poses don't look completely flowy or natural to me. I think it's sort of that "piece by piece" feeling, as if you are putting the pieces together but overall it doesn't have that flow, if that makes sense. I'd recommend going crazy with the pose studies and focusing on gesture as I think that would help, although I also struggle with this issue. Keep it up!

Thanks pnate! Yes, you're right, my figures does need more gesture and flowness. I do try to get a more realistic approach to my characters lately and that is certaintly somethig to work on. Thank you!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Hey everyone!
So for the past couple of months, I've been going to a life drawing atelier held by a french comic artist in Montreal. So, here are some drawings I did (in no particular order)!

[Image: phzOf6p.jpg]
[Image: ZCe8Vdc.jpg]
[Image: SXRu4JJ.jpg]

There are a lot of them that I don't like due to anatomical problems so some comments and critiques are welcome!

I forgot to mention! I finally FINALLY have a new computer!!! I am ssooo happy of it! I've bought it piece by piece to make sure that it works for my needs. It's my first buildand my uncle assembled it for me. My friends helped me choose the parts. Here's the part list if you're curious: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jlocas/saved/gBHnTW

You might notice I don't have a Dell monitor but instead an Asus PB278Q. It's because when I was going to order it, the monitor I originally wanted is now back ordered on the site I ordered the other pieces from. It's not a problem, I like this Asus monitor! The colors look great and I calibrated it with the help of this ICC profile: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#a

I named this new baby ''Betty'' because she's my girl! Here are a few pictures! I've been able to move my drawing table right next to it. Talkin' about convenience!
[Image: DHo2Q2Q.jpg]
[Image: oGhp5Ox.jpg]
[Image: iHAepEL.jpg]

And finally, here is the first painting sketches I've done with this baby! I used two sketches I've already made. The second one isn't finished because I didn't like how it was turning out so some comments and critiques are welcome!
[Image: YQa2xwN.jpg]
[Image: 34vziWk.jpg]

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
So lately I've doing some photo studies and I did a master study of Sargent. The second photo study I did, I really don't like the end result but I guess it's because I was getting impatient while doing it. I gotta work on that. Something that I tried while making them is to use only one or two brushes.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome!

Original:

[Image: AtfU6pM.jpg]

Study:

[Image: jfKafNa.jpg]

Original:

[Image: s47CGr1.jpg]

Study:

[Image: GkztSoF.jpg]

Sargent Original:

[Image: FUxMweU.jpg]

Sargent Study:

[Image: b4K9tEq.jpg]

And here's more from my sketchbook! The first one is a finished line art background.

[Image: LyQZnOX.jpg]

[Image: v9eNydN.jpg]

[Image: Pjunfwr.jpg]

[Image: NzrVt6j.jpg]

[Image: mmVRTgJ.jpg]

[Image: sWl5Mnt.jpg]

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
So I was supposed to receive my cintiq this week which made me become impatient but there has been a f**k up with UPS and now I have to wait another week to finally play with it. Because of that, I barely been productive this week. Here are a few things I did...

Everytime I take the subway, I always sketch someone in the same train as me. I first started doing that when I read Bobby Chiu recommending it. Here are a few ones from the past few months.

[Image: QY1Exdf.jpg]

Sketchbook fun!:

[Image: FCvOzpP.jpg]

Life drawing:

[Image: 4utE7Kh.jpg]

And I gotten sick of doing studies so I painting a fishy sketch of mine:

[Image: FvfJIaf.jpg]

Until next week guy, enjoy!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Cool stuff, Vompt!
One thing I'm noticing is that you cartoon a lot... which is fine, I love cartoons! Except that I can also see that you're primarily thinking in terms of two-dimensional forms. I can see a sort of two-dimensional style carry over to your life drawings, where it seems like you're focusing more on shapes than structures, and it seems to lose how the figures fit together in space.

You can clearly draw stuff in perspective, the little robot and geometric forms you do look pretty good. The line-art background piece you did looks fantastic. This is mostly a problem I'm noticing for your figures, your anatomy studies are conjunctions of shapes rather than forms, and there are perspective and sizing issues in a lot of places. I think you understand perspective and structure well where it doesn't apply to organic forms, so I think the best thing for you to do right now would be to study anatomy and the primitive shapes that compose the human (or animal) forms. Gottfried Bammes does nice planar breakdowns of the structures in the human form, so you might consider studying his work. c:

Keep it up!

Thanks Vicianus!

This is weird because I said the same thing to someone else on another forum just yesterday! Weird!

I totally agree with what you are saying. I do feel that my figures tend to be flat. I think it's motsly because I've from an animation background and I read books on gesture drawing more than structural anatomy. But I feel that I'm getting in a rut in my life drawings. I do feel the same way as you do for my organic forms. I really understand geometric forms but I do have trouble for more abstract forms.

I've already read George Bridgman and I'm currently reading Andrew Loomis. Gotfried Bammes is definitely in my reading list but I still haven't got around to it.

Thanks for the help!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Yessss hehehe I like your style a lot Vompt!

Never stop subway sketching/bus sketching/transport sketching people! Its so great to so exercises like that - makes me want to go out and do it now thanks to your sketches!

Also, another great exercise you're doing - using only 1-2 brushes :) great idea, I do that a lot as well with my studies, then when it comes to stuff from imagination, there's not as much fear as there used to be, and it's all about getting past that and having fun while solving problems

Keep it uuupp man :D

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks Smrr!
Subway sketching has become a habit for me. It's really fun and it makes time past by wwwaaayyy faster and god knows that I always long rides to get somewhere.

I've been using 1-2 brushes for studies mostly as experimentation of painterly brushes. And yes, I do hope to have a more painterly style too!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA
Well, the past 2 weeks has been intense. I officially do not trust UPS for any packages that's worth over 100$ anymore. Turns out that they lost the cintiq I ordered! How could they lose such a big package! Then I had to chase after amazon for my refund which took forever to get. And then I went to a local store to buy my new cintiq instead. Urg! It was such a painful mess! On top of that, I could go on the internet alot because I didn't wanted to break my internet usage.

Anyway, here's finally some new stuff!

Morning sketches:
[Image: 2HiSiPD.jpg]

Life drawings (I couldn't go for a while because I didn't get around to buy more paper until last friday):
[Image: XPCLIdY.jpg]

Experimentation on my new cintiq (It will take some time to get used to such a device!):
[Image: 2vVIsFY.jpg]

Master studies and a photo study (First is a Sargent and second a John William Waterhouse):
[Image: XGX6J8h.jpg]

And finally a work in progress. I'm coloring this huge background that you've probably seen earlier. I do feel that it tends to falls too dark at certain areas:
[Image: xhS4DhS.jpg]

Until next time, enjoy!

My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA