My potatoes
Great start to your sketchbook. Certainly heading in the right direction and already making clear progress. More please.

(08-19-2014, 10:10 PM)Craig Paton Wrote: Great start to your sketchbook. Certainly heading in the right direction and already making clear progress. More please.

Thank you Craig !

I'll try as much as I can.

Tried to sorta shade a bit so I can see it properly ... but ... yeah ... didn't work out too well. Confused a bit on how to use the brush and stuff eh.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tried a bit from my mind ... and a bit of a different position to see if I really got something from it.
Not exactly pleased with results but oh well.

It's kinda hard to see all the shapes from pics dammit. Wish I had a real model for that haha. Anyone knows of a 3D program or something that's free and shows a proper skull ?

Or maybe ... idk ... should I postpone skulls for some other time because not good enough for that yet and stuff ?

Attached Files Image(s)

I basically did almost nothing today. Tried to see if I can put a face on that skull ... like nope. And a bunch of random stuff I tried from my mind.

*gets up in a heroic pose*

BUT TOMORROW ... I'M GOING TO DO THINGS ! hopefully.
If that horrible face doesn't motivate me .... I don't know what will..... lazy ass.

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to learn anatomy and how to show form at the same time. (trying to hit two stones with one bird baby ... YEAAH ! ... wait ...)

Somehow I managed to keep them sort of the same size ... lol.

Attached Files Image(s)

Morning stuffs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Was getting bored with gestures and then I had an idea.

Well ... If I'd have enough skill and stuff ... this would have been my basic idea for CHOW xD.

Attached Files Image(s)

A few 60 second gesture drawings before I go to sleep.

Attached Files Image(s)

stuff

Attached Files Image(s)

poses from imagination

Attached Files Image(s)

Buh ... haven't saved much that I've been trying to do because it was much more convenient to just press delete than to add a layer and save things later and rescale ... bleh xD. Besides ... I'm very messy and ashamed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more stuffs .... I'll never get comfortable enough with these ... eh. I even raged a bit and tried to do heads instead (as if it was a good idea LOL) and then got into what I was doing before again.

DRAWING SURVIVAL KIT ... WHERE ARE YOOUUUU ?!

Also messing up that damn rib cage which ... in turn messes up everything else.

Oh well .. I least I have Revengeance soundtrack to aid me <3

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey there :)

You're taking lots of good exercises. What I would suggest though is focusing a lot more on the traditional pencil and paper drawing (unless you have very large tablet). You develop much better sense of proportion when drawing on large format and arm is exercised more. More life drawing would help too. Once you train eye on transfering what you see onto paper, the anatomy studies go much smoother.
Thank you Farvus. My tablet is actually small ... it's a basic bamboo (I must admit I'm happy with it tho , love at first sight). Trying to draw on paper now ... my arm feels a bit odd XD ... haven't drawn on paper in a while.

By life drawing ... do you mean still life ? Because nobody can really pose for me ... nor are there such things as life drawing workshops where I live.

------

Yesterday I had a thought of looking back through my first sketchbook.

I will do it because I always wanted to see this when I started. I had thoughts of "too late" or "I didn't do this since I was little like everyone else" and so on.

This is how my first 60 seconds gesture drawings were looking (January 2014)

This is how they look now (September 2014)

The amount of work I've been putting during this time was not nearly as much as I would have wanted to nor am I personally satisfied. BUT ... the improvement is clear even to me.

So .. if you're just starting out there (I mean literally) and you feel it's extremely hard ... stay strong and try to break everything in the smallest pieces possible ! (I'm still having trouble with that)

yeaah .. this is pretty bad ... and the phone camera distorted it a bit further .. and well .. holding the paper on my lap too ... but it was a bit broken to begin with, no excuse.

however I think It was good practice for patience and "before planning".

Attached Files Image(s)

Eeeeh ... trying to add muscles gradually and experiment more by adding the previous ones in different angles too ...... aaaaand it's not working too well. My assumptions on how it looks seem to be quite broken. lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Good to see you breaking down things into basic shapes and forms, keep going man! Would be cool to see you take part in the next CHOW, if you have the time.

Hey man! You're making great progress, it's a tough journey, especially in the beginning but keep doing what you're doing and it will all click into place. I think your muscles are looking pretty good in the last post, definitely the clavical, pecs, sternomastoid and abdominus - maybe what's making it look off is the delts and traps - from the almost front on angle with the first two images you wouldn't see the split in the deltoids, you'd just see the front piece; then with the traps remember that they connect along the spine of the scapula, the don't curve over and join to the clavical in front. (also the deltoid is split in three pieces and connects like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...e_top8.png. The front part of it attachs further in along the clavical and overlaps the pec muscle: https://secure.familyhealthtracker.com/C...0B8%7D.jpg

It looks like you're studying from Hampton? If you don't do it already, do the exercises on page 50, I do them once a day if I can - if I don't get to do any other drawing in a day I always make sure to do those exercises; just anytime I have 5 minutes and a bit of paper.

Sounds like you're really serious about getting better - this is great! you need that passion to keep going, just make sure to do stuff for fun too! Take a sketchbook out somewhere and draw from life (meaning drawing something real in front of you, not from a picture or imagination). You find so much beauty in places you wouldn't expect it, and get great ideas and practice done - and you can surprise yourself with how much of it you can capture!

Good luck man! I'm no great artist but anytime you need help or advice or critique on something specific PM me, anytime ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@Jyonny: thanks man , I got the wrong idea on where the traps connect (looks like they really were a ... *chhchhch* ... TRAP ... oh god ... I'm lame). It might not be visible in the front but it certainly is on a side. And yeaah ... I'm overdoing the delts when it comes to separation ... I should fix that. You are right... I am doing Hampton atm :).

@pnate: Thanks , I'll try.

---

Messing around a bit with another CHOW idea.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some random and more anatomy. I'll probably get more serious about things in October ... just probably. For now I'll try to keep a daily habit at least.

Attached Files Image(s)